Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
Registered Users
Re: Anyone else have a bigger family but a small house?

we have a small house.

mama of HIS: 16 14 MINE: 22 19 16 14 11 7 & OURS: 4 & 17mth
ISO: ELBEES md & m/l
Mistymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #62
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
We are a family of six in a 3brm, 2 bthrm house of 1350sqft. It's not tiny but about 800 less than our last house and were up a child. It's feels small to us. I don't actually regret the living space, but Id really like another bedroom (or two ).
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #63
Registered Users

We have a small 2 bedroom 1 bath townhouse, all four kids share a bedroom. It's squishy, but we are very financially sound and that's far more important to me than a big house. Even when we do move, we won't be looking for a big house.
Mattie - wife to Bryon & SAHM to Greta 6/23/07 Evelyn 9/8/08 Charlie 10/30/10 & Henry 11/26/11

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #64
Registered Users
My Mood:

Us, we make it work, and I have no desire for a bigger house, just more windows, I crave natural light.
mom to 7 little blessings
I have a wonderful husband too.

Last edited by Lanolin; 01-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Lanolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
Registered Users

We will have 7 people in a 970sqft place 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We are looking at buying a much larger place soon tho.
Happy New Zealand mumDS 1 10.years DS 2 5 years DS3 DS4 born 06/30/15 at 29 weeks and 2 days. 70 days in NICU DD1 13 years DD2 6 years DD3 2 years My little blessings from above.
Mumaluvnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #66
Registered Users
Location: Ohio, though I'm a much bigger fan of the state due North! GO BLUE!

We are currently adding on a master bedroom and bathroom to our 2 bdrm 1 bath house. We have 1000 sq ft now and are only adding about 200 more. We will have a small, but decent sized mudroom as well with a coat closet- FINALLY! Lol all 3 of my kids share a bdrm right now. Bunk beds and a crib. The room is so cramped! But when our new room is done, the baby will move into the old master so my 2 oldest- 6 yr old boy & 3 yr old girl will continue to share until baby is old enough for the bottom bunk. Then we'll get rid of the crib and switch him and my daughter.

But we also plan to try and sell as soon as it's done anyway. We'd prefer a 4 bedrm but they're hard to find around here! So idk.....we may have a 4th in a few years too.

Bdrms are for sleeping, so I don't think it's a big deal. But we don't have any type of playroom, and our family room is very small as well, so we just need more living space in general. We need bigger, but don't want to sacrifice lifestyle for a giant house!
sarahrdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #67
Registered Users

We have 3bed/2bath 1,600 sq ft home and will be adding babies 3 & 4 pretty soon to our family. The first assumption most people made was that we would buy a new house and they seemed shocked that we said we were staying where we are. We may consider an addition in a few years when the oldest kids start hitting the teens, but for now the mortgage is affordable. Thus we stay. The location is close to school, park and church and to find a larger home this close to all those is not going to happen in our small community.
saraOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #68
Registered Users
My Mood:

I think a lot of the ruling on how many people you can have according to your lease, septic, or town laws. I remember in Mass we found it impossible to find a small apartment for myself my then boyfriend, our daughter, and our room mates. We were looking for a small two bedroom since she shared a room with us and they shared an apartment, but no one would rent to us. We were informed that our daughter would legally need to have her own room when she was 2. That meant they wouldn't lease to us because she'd turn 2 about 2 months before our lease would be up.

That being said, we did have CPS show up to close out a case with us while we were living in a 2br trailer. My daughter (then 8) and her two brothers (4 and 2 at the time) all shared one bedroom and I was pregnant. CPS told us it "wasn't ideal" but it was fine. We just really needed to consider separating the boys and girls once my daughter was a teen. However, they also informed us that the state law on occupancy said no more than 2 to a bedroom for "safety reasons".

We now have 6 of us in total living in a 800 sq ft trailer. There are three bedrooms, but the kids rooms are so small that they only fit beds and dressers. There's no real room to play. Our dining room is our arts and crafts space. Our living room is the play area. We've got a huge master bathroom and a decent sized master bedroom, so that takes up a lot of space. I almost wish we'd had a smaller, more practical bathroom (though I do love the garden tub) and made the other bedrooms bigger or made the kitchen less like a hallway with a stove, fridge, and cabinets shoved in. The rules of the property state that no trailer (regardless of bedrooms) can house more than 6 people (though one of the managers has 6 kids on the property with her and her husband). In other words, we could have a 1 bedroom or a 3 bedroom and be fine...unless we have another baby, then we have to go. Honestly, I don't care about having all three boys in one room. They kind of like it. If it wasn't for the fact that my daughter's almost a teen and likes her privacy at times, I'd say they could all share a room and I'd be okay with it. I don't care if they all sleep in the same room, just as long as she's got her private space. If we have one more and it's a girl she said sharing would be okay then, but that's because she needs some "boy-free space". Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it, but my family will absolutely flip when we tell them we still want to have one more because we "live in too small of a house" and "don't make enough money". We've got everything taken care of and the kids are super happy, so why should space or money matter?
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #69
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by thekuligs View Post
OP didn't say if she rented or not--and I think the law is different for apartments than rental homes. If you own your home there is little they can do. If you look at families like the Duggars they have a "girl room" and a "boy room".
I love the girl/ boy room idea especially whne you have so many and close together in age

I plan to have my 4 boys in one room together. i don't know why people expect every child to have their own room these days?? I loved sharing room w/ my sisters and staying up talking
Maya mom to 4 and one more otw
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #70
Registered Users
My Mood:

We just had twins bring us to 4 kids - we live in a2 bedroom 1 bath home - we plan to add a bedroom and bath in the base,net over the next couple years
Amanda ~ Kindda crunchy ~ian L&D RN Mama TO ~
Q Monster (08/04/19)~ Miss Blue C (10/ 07/30) - R &J (12/12/21)- Bf'ing , BLW, BW'ing, Cd'ing, co-sleeping, delayed vaxing
mrsgrantis is offline   Reply With Quote