Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DCF - What to Expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post

for the carpet issue, whats under the carpet? can you just pull up the carpet and get rid of it entirely?
I wish I could!
We are the only ones left in the building with carpet. Tenants don't last long around here, haha, so when they have moved out the landlord replaced carpets with that snap together wood flooring, but we haven't moved out yet! I DOUBT I can convince the landlord to replace the carpet for free THIS week because my son peed all over it and DCF is coming...yea lol. Underneath the carpet is just like plywood or such, so I can't even ask to pull it up for the meantime.
On a side note, anyone have a good recipe for carpet shampooers? I ran out of the chemical it came with, but I don't like to use chemicals and just water doesn't do the trick on that carpet anymore!

Yea. Hopefully they can see the situation as it is. I have sacrificed my life for these kids, it has been one heck of an investment, and I sure try my damnedest to make sure they are properly cared for and happy.
And no, we are not living with anyone else. I have a boyfriend, he doesn't live here, but does a tremendous amount to help me out as is.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

You can put vinegar and water in that carpet shampooer. I'd use lots of vinegar if you are having urine smell issues!!

Good luck with school and I hope things work out. Hopefully DCF will be able to help you find some more resources too.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
lilg82882
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DCF coming into the picture way not be a bad thing! They might be able to get you and the children some help that you couldn't own your own. As long as your place is not trashed and no signs of neglect or abuse it will be fine.
They might keep your case open to get you guys some help and no shame in that.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

No advice.

Just
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. If you are trying and it's just not working, maybe they can help you find the services and programs you need. It sounds like you are on hard times, I hope one way or the other things work out for you.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. If you are trying and it's just not working, maybe they can help you find the services and programs you need. It sounds like you are on hard times, I hope one way or the other things work out for you.
This.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
You can put vinegar and water in that carpet shampooer. I'd use lots of vinegar if you are having urine smell issues!!

Good luck with school and I hope things work out. Hopefully DCF will be able to help you find some more resources too.
Vinegar does wonders for neutralizing urine smells. The problem is likely deeper though. If plywood is under the carpet the urine is likely in the plywood as well. Do what you can and then put on cinnamon water to help cover the smell you cannot remove.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Buy some OdoBan for the carpet. It isn't natural, but it works. You can get it at Sams or Home Depot (a few Walmarts carry it as well, but I've only seen it at one), and it is pretty cheap. If you can, get the gallon concentrate that comes with a spray bottle. You can either put the concentrate into a carpet shampooer, or you can just use the spray bottle to saturate the carpet. It should get rid of the smell completely, and to me it just smells like baby soap. Saturate the carpet and spray the walls as well. You can even use it in the washing machine to get the smell out of bedding and blankets.

When we moved in here, one of our closets REEKED of cat urine, which is very hard to get rid of (they shampooed the carpets prior to us moving in, so they were clean). I saturated the carpet with OdoBan and sprayed the walls floor to ceiling, and once it dried the smell was completely gone.

As for DCF, they just want to help you, not hurt you. Even if they do find some problems, they will give you a chance to fix them. They won't come in and immediately yank your children from you. Good luck, and I hope you are able to get some help!! I'm sorry you are going through this.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Be honest with them. There are a TON of services out there. Kids with an open case get priority for daycare vouchers, and other programs with a waiting list. They can contract with mental health agencies to get you some parenting help for your oldest. For DS's bios, they had a parenting coach come to the home a couple of days a week to help his dad learn to control him (he has SPD, ODD, and RAD).

Good luck mama!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Make sure you have a crib/ bed for each child and there is food in the fridge. I wouldn't over share personally. They are there to determine if the children's environment is suitable for them. I'd remember the real and only purpose of the visit if I was overwhelmed and on the verge of confiding in the caseworker.