Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ADHD & homework

6 y/o DD has ADHD. She HATES homework. 10 minutes into it I feel like this: and she is . I just don't know what to do. She thinks it's funny, won't sit still, doesn't listen to the directions...messes up things she usually doesn't, etc. When I ask her why she says "I hate hw."
Advice? A little background: she is on a low-dose med she takes in the AM before breakfast, and I am having her do her hw after dinner. I am thinking about switching hw time to right when she gets home.

Advertisement

Last edited by ElizasMommy606; 01-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
ElizasMommy606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
jennyfa
Registered Users

Re: ADHD & homework

How long is her homework supposed to take? Our district had guidelines for how long per grade level... and if kids were consistently going over it, that meant something needed to be modified.

One thing that worked well for some of my students was a visual timer. You have to do your homework for this long, and then you can take a break. Or we'd set it for 10 minutes (in first grade, that was how long spelling should have taken) and if they went off task, it would get stopped. When they went back to it, it went back on, and then when it was done, they were done. Some kids only did half of the sheets, but it was better than having it be an all out war for the families, especially with the littles. Does her teacher have any suggestions? Is she on an IEP or 504?

Also, what about taking breaks that are really active? Do one problem, then 3 jumping jacks, etc. Would she respond to something like that?
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
jennyfa
Registered Users

How long is her homework supposed to take? Our district had guidelines for how long per grade level... and if kids were consistently going over it, that meant something needed to be modified.

One thing that worked well for some of my students was a visual timer. You have to do your homework for this long, and then you can take a break. Or we'd set it for 10 minutes (in first grade, that was how long spelling should have taken) and if they went off task, it would get stopped. When they went back to it, it went back on, and then when it was done, they were done. Some kids only did half of the sheets, but it was better than having it be an all out war for the families, especially with the littles. Does her teacher have any suggestions? Is she on an IEP or 504?

Also, what about taking breaks that are really active? Do one problem, then 3 jumping jacks, etc. Would she respond to something like that?
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfa View Post

She has 1-2 sheets per night. Something that should take 10-15 min would take her 45 min to an hour sometimes! Breaks in between may be a good idea. I will have to try it out with her. She's my oldest child so it's my 1st time having this experience with her. She is on a 504. I think she may respond to the active breaks too.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 10.5 yo DS1 has ADHD and homework at that age was rough, too. He started taking medication when he was 8 after being diagnosed. What works best for him is doing it right as he comes in the door after school and before he gets to play. I have heard at least 2 therapists say that kids need a break after school before hitting the books, but he has PE at 2:15 and then snack and pack up after. Then he hangs out with his friends during carpool for a good 20 minutes. He's had an hour to wiggle and socialize!

He does get a second snack at home first. (He has a hollow leg at this age.) Then he has to do his homework before he gets his 30 minutes of coveted screen time or can go out and play with his neighborhood buddies. The timer just frustrated him. He'd see the clock ticking down and focus on that and stress about that.

Sometimes if he has several things to do, he'll eat some of his snack, do a sheet, eat some more snack, do another sheet, eat some more snack, finish up, etc. This is all his own personal motivation method. Hey, if it works, kid...

If it's a large project, I will sit down with him and we will break it down into smaller pieces and create a timeline for doing the pieces.

If it's just an overwhelming amount for one day, like a slew of math problems, I fold the paper in half for him. Then he can focus on just doing the first 10 problems instead of obsessing over the fact that there are "so many left to do!"

I make him read the directions to me since he likes to take short cuts. If he takes short cuts, then I make him redo it and walk him through the process. Remember, he's 10, bright, and likes to overlook "show your work" a lot.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has attention issues. His teachers ask each year if the psychologist can test him for ADHD and aspergers but he never quite meets a diagnosis. We make games out of it. His math facts page I will talk like a sports announcer. Sometimes I will pretend an answer to a particular question is a special one and make a mini celebration that he got it right.

I've also done the homework first and get every answer wrong then he has to fix it all.

When we get home he gets 15-30 min of time on his own. Then he has to finish his responsibilities before he can use anything electronic. For him electronics are a big motivator

I've also changed the math word problems to be something he likes (star wars people, bodily functions, Nintendo stuff )

Last edited by Suzi; 01-28-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll have to try out some of these ideas. Last night went good for once. I had her relax for a half hour when she got home, then before she could play or watch TV or use her mobigo thingy, she had to do her hw.

Last edited by ElizasMommy606; 01-29-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
ralenth
Registered Users

We have homework issues here, too. My son is 11 with aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety, and LOL it's lots of fun . My son has to do homework right after school. The meds he is on all wear off by dinner time. Last year was awful. Teacher would tell me no more than an hour of homework, and math alone would take longer than that (mainly because of the ADHD and anxiety). If I signed saying he spent an hour on it, she'd hold him in for recess (which would make that nights homework 1000 times worse). The kicker is that he is 3 grades ahead in math, and the math itself is not the issue... He knew it really well. It was a struggle all year long. This year, his math teacher knows him and gets him. He is not to spend that much time on homework, and she's touched base with me several times to make sure there isn't any anxiety. In fact the few times we have had issues, it's been because he was confused about the math. We get him through 1 or 2 of the problems he's stuck on and she helps him the next day. Anyway, I guess my point is talk to the teacher. Some will help, some will not. My son is on a 504, but so far it has been pretty useless. Most teachers don't follow it, because they don't believe he needs extra help (then they came to me because his behavior is so bad... Ya think?). But talk to the teacher. Be honest and let her know how long it is taking you. See if she can help or accomodate or something. God luck... I feel your pain!!
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralenth View Post
We have homework issues here, too. My son is 11 with aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety, and LOL it's lots of fun . My son has to do homework right after school. The meds he is on all wear off by dinner time. Last year was awful. Teacher would tell me no more than an hour of homework, and math alone would take longer than that (mainly because of the ADHD and anxiety). If I signed saying he spent an hour on it, she'd hold him in for recess (which would make that nights homework 1000 times worse). The kicker is that he is 3 grades ahead in math, and the math itself is not the issue... He knew it really well. It was a struggle all year long. This year, his math teacher knows him and gets him. He is not to spend that much time on homework, and she's touched base with me several times to make sure there isn't any anxiety. In fact the few times we have had issues, it's been because he was confused about the math. We get him through 1 or 2 of the problems he's stuck on and she helps him the next day. Anyway, I guess my point is talk to the teacher. Some will help, some will not. My son is on a 504, but so far it has been pretty useless. Most teachers don't follow it, because they don't believe he needs extra help (then they came to me because his behavior is so bad... Ya think?). But talk to the teacher. Be honest and let her know how long it is taking you. See if she can help or accomodate or something. God luck... I feel your pain!!

This sounds like my daughter somewhat. The meds wear off by dinner for her too! The 504 is not really that accomodating, I mean it is to a certain extent. She can take breaks, stand while working, etc but still. I have talked with her teacher many times. In fact, we JUST started her on meds a month or so ago and her teacher brought up how much of a change she sees in her (for the good). I told her about the homework and that it takes her a while but I haven't had much response to that except to do it upon returning home from school but she complains so much about it, I don't want to make it a "bad" experience.

Last edited by ElizasMommy606; 01-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.