Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son wants his hair long

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabeadz View Post
I only have a daughter and know my DH would balk if we had a boy who wanted long hair, however, I say let him do it. I do think that it's difficult for others to recognize a boy from a girl and can see who people mistake boys with long hair for girls since all children have such beautiful faces it's easy to mistake, but so what. I think you're teaching your child a much more valuable lesson by letting him make the choice to be an individual than to conform to what some people believe is more appropriate. In this modern day and age, it's important for children to learn to accept others regardless of whether they look different or not, but by not allowing him to grow his hair when he wants to, you have to decide why you won't let him. You may have valid reasons to say no, and that's absolutely fine, but if it's just b/c DH doesn't want him to look different than his peers, then keep in mind the lesson he's learning whether you vocalize it or not. This is just my and I'm not saying my POV is the right one so please do not be offended by my opinions. What is right for one family may not be the right thing for another so I just wanted to offer my (outspoken) opinion on the topic
Oh I'm not telling him he can't grow it long. I'm encouraging it! I love his hair long! DH doesn't like it but tough for him. LOL I was just looking for some tips on keeping it up while it's growing out and some ways to train it out of his eyes and also some pics to show DS so he can decide how long he wants it.

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns View Post
Oh I'm not telling him he can't grow it long. I'm encouraging it! I love his hair long! DH doesn't like it but tough for him. LOL I was just looking for some tips on keeping it up while it's growing out and some ways to train it out of his eyes and also some pics to show DS so he can decide how long he wants it.
Oh yes, I knew you were supportive, but not your DH. I missed the part about needing tips...I need them too since my dd's hair was truly unmanageable when it was long...lol!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns

I missed that part
We just let his hair grow, the one time a few months ago that we got it trimmed they completely hacked it. After talking to a few moms if sons with longer hair I learned, never take them to a children hair salon. They don't know how to cut boys hair, all they can do is use the clippers and do a traditional boys cut.
Find a barber shop or don't cut it.
My son has no issues wearing ponytails, he asks for them and wears them to school.
Most of the time I just part it to the side after his bath and add a few bobby pins until it has dried some.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom

I missed that part
We just let his hair grow, the one time a few months ago that we got it trimmed they completely hacked it. After talking to a few moms if sons with longer hair I learned, never take them to a children hair salon. They don't know how to cut boys hair, all they can do is use the clippers and do a traditional boys cut.
My son has no issues wearing ponytails, he asks for them and wears them to school.
Most of the time I just part it to the side after his bath and add a few bobby pins until it has dried some.
I totally agree about the haircuts!! I am the only one who can cut his hair. He's almost 12and only had 3 haircuts by professionals. They never do it right we joke about one salon that they gave him a blow out instead of a cut! Charged $30 and it barely looked trimmed. I've actually gotten pretty good at it after so many years. and i don't charge
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom

I missed that part

I always cut my boys hair myself. I know how the hair dries and every time I have taken them in it has been hacked. I even spent $60 to a real hair Solon I got mine done at and my son came out looking like a poodle. It was the worst!!
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dp.

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 01-30-2013 at 02:49 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is my DS's beautimus locks! He's 3, and it's never been cut with the exception of his bangs when it was first growing. It's almost down to his butt when it's wet.

ETA: Most of his hair is tucked behind him in this pic..it makes it look shorter than it really is!

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 01-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #28
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
My son has always had long hair...I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
This is my 5 year old. The hair is not in his eyes in the side view, it sort of parts in the middle so he can see.

Attachment 132397

Attachment 132398
I showed DS the pics and he likes these two lengths the best...I like the tip of using the clippies or bobby pins to hold it back while it dries. His hair has always just been brushed to the front so I'll definitely have to train it to the sides.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
katymf
Registered Users
seller

Aww I love all these pics! I am totally all for boys with long hair. DS is 20mo and I think I have given him one good all around hair cut, but since then have been trying to grow it out. it is not long by any means like any of these boys', but I'm hopeful it will get there soon! his hair takes a while to grow, it's all in his eyes now, and when it's wet it goes down just a little past his neck but it's also curly so when it dries it bounces up thus making it look even shorter!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns

I showed DS the pics and he likes these two lengths the best...I like the tip of using the clippies or bobby pins to hold it back while it dries. His hair has always just been brushed to the front so I'll definitely have to train it to the sides.
This style is what Maddox calls "hockey hair". He is an avid fan and player and apparently this is what your hair should look like when you play hockey.
I am glad your son found something he likes, it doesn't take much work either so it is great