-->
Join Diaperswappers Today!

Join DiaperSwappers and start buying, selling, and trading cloth diapers.
Talk with other moms about parenting. Registration is fast and free. Join Now!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anybody make their own formula?

My gma saw the formula that I was feeding my son and said, "oh my gosh!, it's so nice it's already made for you!, we had to make our own". So not that long ago they had to make their own! I am way too lazy to do this, but it does not seem totally out of line to make your own. Go for it mamas!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

I did it from 9-12 months. With my next I plan on making my formula at 6 months. My kids all have milk allergies and had to have Alimentum. It is super expensive and the main ingredient is corn syrup. I made a homemade goat milk based formula- tons of healthy oils and ingredients. The nutritional breakdown is similar to formula (calories, etc..). I can send you the link to the recipe if you want it. I do NOT agree that it is dangerous. I just wouldn't use it too early because some of the ingredients might be hard to digest (i.e. brewers yeast).

I also showed my pedi the recipe and he gave me the thumbs up. (he is a mainstream doctor but also tolerant of my select vax'ing schedule)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
My gma saw the formula that I was feeding my son and said, "oh my gosh!, it's so nice it's already made for you!, we had to make our own". So not that long ago they had to make their own! I am way too lazy to do this, but it does not seem totally out of line to make your own. Go for it mamas!
LOL but when she "made" it, all she did (likely) was mix Carnation and Karo. Modern formula hasn't really come that far in all these years... Yeah, now they add vitamins and such, but the Carnation of the '50s actually had more nutrients in it (grass fed vs grain fed) and the Karo back then wasn't from GMO corn.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote