Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Weight gain and weight loss are about calories in and calories out. It's not genetics, it's not anything else. I recommend actually counting all of your calories, carbs, sugars, and proteins for a single, average day, just for some perspective.

I also recommend eating less, as in as close to zero sugars, more fiber, and a lot more protein.

Weight loss is 90%diet, 10%exercise. Pay attention to exactly what you're eating.
Yes but some people see huge issues with milk supply and end up with fussy, hungry babies, once they start focusing on these things. I'd just urge caution. Some of us need a little more "plump" while producing milk and can then drop back to a leaner frame after weaning.

Advertisement

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingHome

Yes but some people see huge issues with milk supply and end up with fussy, hungry babies, once they start focusing on these things. I'd just urge caution. Some of us need a little more "plump" while producing milk and can then drop back to a leaner frame after weaning.
Do you mean fat or nutrients? You don't have to eat unhealthily and gain weight to make milk. That is absolutely silly. The rest of the world where obesity rate are much, much lower also have higher and more successful breastfeeding rates. It's not just calories, it's a lot about what you are eating.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Do you mean fat or nutrients? You don't have to eat unhealthily and gain weight to make milk. That is absolutely silly. The rest of the world where obesity rate are much, much lower also have higher and more successful breastfeeding rates. It's not just calories, it's a lot about what you are eating.
No, not eat unhealthily and *gain* weight. :-/ who said anything of the sort?

But I've certainly noticed big drops in my supply...over my last 11 years of almost nonstop pregnancy and/or nursing... When/if I've *LOST* weight while nursing, which is what the op asked about. I'm certainly not advocating gaining weight and eating carelessly. I'm just saying that my years of successful breast feeding with 5 happy healthy kiddos has shown me that losing weight doesn't happen easily or naturally for some of us, and that it can even diminish our supply to a state of constant wondering, "am I making enough?" I'm typically a well-supplied gal... So for me to start to worry about supply is a BIG deal.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

What does your diet look like? I found that eating a good breakfast is the most important thing for me. I was eating 4 eggs with cheese and diss age and a bagel every morning before I could go through the rest of the day eating normally.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Weight gain and weight loss are about calories in and calories out. It's not genetics, it's not anything else. I recommend actually counting all of your calories, carbs, sugars, and proteins for a single, average day, just for some perspective.

I also recommend eating less, as in as close to zero sugars, more fiber, and a lot more protein.

Weight loss is 90%diet, 10%exercise. Pay attention to exactly what you're eating.
It's really not that simple, unfortunately. Inability to lose weight while breastfeeding, can have little to do with calories, and everything to do with hormones
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #16
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmomma

It's really not that simple, unfortunately. Inability to lose weight while breastfeeding, can have little to do with calories, and everything to do with hormones
Losing weight always has to do with calories.
You imply hormones, but what hormones, and sources?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

It is common PP for a woman's thyroid hormones to flux according to my endocrinologist. This can make it hard to lose weight as well. I had to go on synthroid. Once my thyroid hormones were stable I was able to diet and lose weight.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I think hormones play a role too. I took birth control after #1 and struggled with supply issues and never lost any weight. We EBF for a year.

I am now almost 3 months post partum with #2. I am EBF again, but this time no birth control as hubby is getting a vasectomy. My supply is great, I make an extra 3-4 oz a day and I'm pumping/ working full time. I have also lost 20 pounds extra from what I weighed when I got pregnant (granted, I was 50 lbs overweight before having both babies and didn't gain more than 15 lbs with each).

I am now on weight watchers as a nursing mom trying to lose the rest of the 30 lbs to get me back to my newlywed weight. So far I have lost and gained the same 4-5 lbs over 3 weeks. So we shall see if I have any other success.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Never kicked in for me... I was very bummed, but such is life!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i loose weight very very slowly while BFing.