Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Beware of Babyland & other "China" eBay nappies

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative_catch View Post
Since I work in the export business I've learned the diff between American companies that manufacture their goods in China, and Chinese companies trying to sell to the American market via eBay. Fuzzi buns and other American brands that source from China still have to adhere to the US's strict regulations in terms of chemical quality, and undergo testing, as well as quality control standards. THey have to pass customs, etc. The China eBay nappies are sometimes the "same" factories doing "night shift" production with cheaper quality materials. By selling through eBay they don't have to deal with materials testing, quality control, etc since eBay lets anyone sell just anything, right?

Just thought I'd put that out there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
I also refuse to buy Cheapie China diapers for the quality issue, manufacturing concerns, shipping, etc. etc. (the list goes on). What really gets me though is not supporting the U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
interesting!

there are so many products that are near-impossible to find "made in usa" but not cloth diapers! i want my hard-earned dollars to stay in the country i live in!
I couldn't agree with these lovely ladies more. There was an extensive thread last week on this very topic, it can get quite heated.

I am not bothered by supporting US based companies who have manufacturing in China, as they play by the rules regarding customs, taxes, and safety standards. The others though have far too many questions for my dollar to go to them.

Advertisement

RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I buy china diapers on fb via co-ops, and have used them for a year and no issues, I love them and for less than $5 a diaper, it is in my price range. I love my stash and love my diapers, they are made well and work just as good as many name brands you buy here in the USA.
If anyone is interested in a safe fb co-op, pm me as I won't spam in here but there is one i buy from all the time.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative_catch
Since I work in the export business I've learned the diff between American companies that manufacture their goods in China, and Chinese companies trying to sell to the American market via eBay. Fuzzi buns and other American brands that source from China still have to adhere to the US's strict regulations in terms of chemical quality, and undergo testing, as well as quality control standards. THey have to pass customs, etc. The China eBay nappies are sometimes the "same" factories doing "night shift" production with cheaper quality materials. By selling through eBay they don't have to deal with materials testing, quality control, etc since eBay lets anyone sell just anything, right?

Just thought I'd put that out there!
Exactly. They're essentially black market diapers.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post

Exactly. They're essentially black market diapers.
Reminds me of Fergos & fake purses. I read somewhere that those black market purses fund terrorism. Wonder if our China cheapies do too? They probably don't but it is one of those things that make you go hmmmmm.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 01-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19

Reminds me of Fergos & fake purses. I read somewhere that those black market purses fund terrorism. Wonder if our China cheapies do too? They probably don't but it is one of those things that make you go hmmmmm.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
Fergos really freak me out!
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
axelscarlet
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for info! I too diapered awhile back and now pregnant with #2 (had to wait for things to "second chance" in my life) I remember how I used to scour the backs of mags like Mothering to find natural and organic diapers. I used wool biobottoms and nikky as well and had to special order diapers I think from Ecobaby that were unbleached flannel with terry in the inside middle, and a couple I loved for nite that were terry on one sied, flannel on the other. SO hard to find anything like that now! I sold my wool covers a few years ago when a store owner friend convinced me I would want all the new styles the next time around. Well, what do you think I am looking for on this site and eBay? Yep, nikky and biobottoms. I did save some of the flannel dipes; I have to build a stash and my friend can sell me organic prefolds for wholesale. I wanted to find some terry/flannel and found some on cottonwood baby website, and am going to try some used cloth-eez (green mountain diapers) too. But my mainstay covers are those wool covers! I plan to try the pull on like aristocrats for night. And I love the snappies! Those are new to me. I did buy a babyland off ebay and thought right away must be too good to be true. We'll see. It was just for fun. Thinking of trying flats this time too, for newborn especially. Seems like diapers weren't really SIZED way back, I mean, I had the one stash of 48 I used the whole time. Now you see all the sizes, which has been confusing to an old timer like me. Looking forward to doing this again, and will keep looking for the oldies but goodies!! But trying a few things differently too.
axelscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's really hit or miss with the cheapies. I do not find coops to but much cheaper than buying directly after coop fees, customs fees, additional hidden fees and then shipping to you. I was involved in a coop for 'happy bee' and 'baby wizard' not too long ago. The diapers were cute and at a good price. After a long wait, I finally received them and sold them since my son PL'ed. I checked the coop thread months later to find massive lists of mamas that had their diapers delaminate. The company would not reimburse.

My mom used Nikky and Biobottoms on my sister and brother. I have a stack of my own waiting for the next little one. Also, as much as I love pockets, I could never give up my PFs
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelscarlet View Post
Thanks for info! I too diapered awhile back and now pregnant with #2 (had to wait for things to "second chance" in my life) I remember how I used to scour the backs of mags like Mothering to find natural and organic diapers. I used wool biobottoms and nikky as well and had to special order diapers I think from Ecobaby that were unbleached flannel with terry in the inside middle, and a couple I loved for nite that were terry on one sied, flannel on the other. SO hard to find anything like that now! I sold my wool covers a few years ago when a store owner friend convinced me I would want all the new styles the next time around. Well, what do you think I am looking for on this site and eBay? Yep, nikky and biobottoms. I did save some of the flannel dipes; I have to build a stash and my friend can sell me organic prefolds for wholesale. I wanted to find some terry/flannel and found some on cottonwood baby website, and am going to try some used cloth-eez (green mountain diapers) too. But my mainstay covers are those wool covers! I plan to try the pull on like aristocrats for night. And I love the snappies! Those are new to me. I did buy a babyland off ebay and thought right away must be too good to be true. We'll see. It was just for fun. Thinking of trying flats this time too, for newborn especially. Seems like diapers weren't really SIZED way back, I mean, I had the one stash of 48 I used the whole time. Now you see all the sizes, which has been confusing to an old timer like me. Looking forward to doing this again, and will keep looking for the oldies but goodies!! But trying a few things differently too.
some of the new stuff is great too though! GroVia has a new wool soaker that is really the biggest company to bring on a line of wool and fitteds that I know of... now their Kiwi Pie fitteds are made of a new fabric in the industry, modal, blended with cotton but it is really nice.
I've never bought any wool from them but Sustainablebabyish / Sloomb has a reputation for really nice wool too. There are a lot of nice fitteds and prefolds out there too! A lot of the fabrics now are blends, with either hemp, bamboo, or now GroVia's modal, because those fibers are more hydroscopic than cotton alone, so you get the absorbency with less bulk, and less bulk also means they are easier to clean.

Yes, there are cheap, junky diapers out there. They are not all that's there though. There are also AMAZINGLY beautiful diapers out there, and don't regret letting go of things in the past, wool, fitteds, prefolds, flats are all alive and well!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #29
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first baby, I had an extensive WAHM and USA made diaper collection. It was pricey, but we had the money then. With child #2, I did not have the luxury of spending $20+ on used diapers or $25+ on new ones, so I went with Alva and cartoon diapers. Honestly? They have held up just fine despite that I dry them on hot every time I wash. They are cute, work good and are cheap. My luxury dipes this time? Bum Genius Freetimes. I have 6 I bought used that I covet.
Circumstances change. It's not that I do not support the USA, it's that it's nearly impossible to diaper cheaply with American made products. Yes, I have flats and prefolds. Guess what? Mostly made in China. As are my covers. Unless, I get pricey WAHM flats and covers, which then defeats the whole purpose of diapering cheaply. A $10 flat? Yeah, no.
If we have another baby at some point, perhaps our circumstances will have changed and I can again have a USA made stash. Until then, my sweet boy has his hiney covered in China cheapies.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
hlbrown
Registered Users
seller

I love my Alva Baby's from China... they are about 6$ a diaper... they've never had stink issues, get clean really fast, PUL is in fantastic condition... I am now using them on a second baby... still with no issues..
hlbrown is offline   Reply With Quote