Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #51
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly679
Poop! I tell you what if I knew when the kids were going to poop I would use a sposie every time! Pee diapers are fine, no problem. But poopy ones? Bleh!
The other day I said I was so happy when she pooped in the occasional sposie that she wears lol

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #52
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people hate cloth?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
See that is what I had kind of originally planned because my son is super predictable with his #2s....but cloth contains him better and I quickly tired of disposable blow-outs when travelling with him. I found it's actually the opposite that I would do...or even throw a cover over a sposie when I thought he would poo. Nothing like trying to clean up a blow out beside the road or in an aiplane bathroom to totally make you give up sposies.
Oh i know, my middle child is like this. She used to have poop explosions in sposies. On vacation I used covers over her sposies for this very reason. I still loved being able to toss the poo! I've tried using the flushable liners but it seems like she never poops when I use one. And i'm SO cheap that spending money on liners just to be pee'd in kills me. lol
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
buko
Registered Users
seller

She also hates his amber necklace because she says that I can't control the amount if amber being absorbed into his skin?!

As noted above, this is actually true... and is kinda why (this might be an unpopular opinion), most likely, any "success" seen with amber necklaces is a placebo or coincidental effect. If there were enough succinic acid in amber to have a real effect, the fact that the dosage is completely uncontrolled would/should be a concern. However, there likely is not enough to have a real effect, so it's probably "safe" because it's ineffective.

I'm pretty "crunchy," but almost exclusively because the "crunch" I'm into (homebirth, breastfeeding, EC, etc.) is evidence-based. I don't feel amber teething necklaces are.

I pretty much agree with this post:

http://sciblogs.co.nz/skepticon/tag/succinic-acid/

I'm always open to new research, but just my 2 cents.
buko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #54
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post
She also hates his amber necklace because she says that I can't control the amount if amber being absorbed into his skin?!

As noted above, this is actually true... and is kinda why (this might be an unpopular opinion), most likely, any "success" seen with amber necklaces is a placebo or coincidental effect. If there were enough succinic acid in amber to have a real effect, the fact that the dosage is completely uncontrolled would/should be a concern. However, there likely is not enough to have a real effect, so it's probably "safe" because it's ineffective.

I'm pretty "crunchy," but almost exclusively because the "crunch" I'm into (homebirth, breastfeeding, EC, etc.) is evidence-based. I don't feel amber teething necklaces are.

I 100% agree with this post.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
Because it is gross. That's what I used to think of CD. Why put all that effort into cleaning poopy diapers when you can just throw them away? Obviously I have changed my thinking

Also just typical mommy wars. Oh you think your cloth diapers are better for your baby than my disposables? Allow me to loudly voice my opinion about how they're not
This

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #56
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that is a good question!!! My father insists that he will never EVER change a cloth diaper, he says he's going to buy sposies to use at his house. I don't want my baby in sposies if I can avoid it because DH and I both have eczema.
mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #57
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buko View Post

Yes, but the research won't be done because there is more money to be made in other areas. But yes, I've read that blog post before and do agree with it in principle.

However, as someone who has lived with chronic pain and continues to manage it (without narcotics) by alternative means, I do have to say that pain is still not very well understood by the medical community and that there are things that do work that haven't been verified scientifically. You have to weight the risks, as with anything, for amber beads....They are a choking risk.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #58
prissyhippie
Registered Users

I love this thread. We plan to CD when baby is born in April and are so excited to try it. Everyone we tell laughs at us and tells us "just wait til you have to change a poopy diaper." The few people that will actually listen to us explain what cloth is like nowadays are shocked to find out how much easier it has gotten. My mom, though, still is counting on us to quit, which is so disappointing, but also motivating. Now, part of me wants to make sure we are able to do it just to shut others up!
prissyhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #59
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Because it's different and people don't want to be unique and different but are okay with "going with the crowd" or what is "normal" without doing their own research as to what is best for baby, the planet, etc. Plus they are misinformed about modern cloth diapering and assume it is the same as 20 years ago.
TobinsTreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #60
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
I don't leave it on him when he's sleeping...only when I can directly supervise him because if it were to break, even though they are double strung and knotted between each bead, it's still a choking hazard. But as far as I'm concerned it does help, and (as a chronic pain patient myself due to a broken neck some years ago) I know first-hand that there is a lot we still don't know about pain. People used to think acupuncture and trigger point injections were bunk, but I know first-hand that they are not and they have saved my life.

Ps. some insects use succinic acid and formic acid (very close) to freeze their prey, and we have receptors for, too.

*** if it is long enough for your little one to get in his mouth, you need a shorter one. All 3 of our kids have worn one without a problem bit in 3 sizes.***
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote