Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do with a toddler who just doesn't care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Bumping to see if anyone else has ideas.
I am in the same boat - DS3 is 39 months and not interested unless naked.
DD is 22 months and is showing signs now of wanting to go.
Although I don't have it as bad as BFF her son is four and no-where near ready - starting K in Sept though so they REALLY need to get things going.
Ideas are appreciated.
naked is a start! he's already at that age where he figures that you're gonna take care of things. i would recommend the "oh crap. potty training" book. the author has seen this kind of delay all the time. you're gonna have to ditch the diapers once and for all. not easy, but it's better for him and will give him a sense of pride every time he uses the potty. four years old and still in dipes is pretty ridiculous! dont wait for "readiness" signs. you'll be waiting forever! 20-30 months is the ideal time to train. get it done now!

Advertisement

strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Do you have potty things for him to shoot? Rewards? firm spank to show you don't pee in your pants? You try to just do underwear not back & forth.......
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same here. Dd3 know how but unless she's naked she won't. Even naked its maybe. One time she walked up (naked at home) and I said- you need to potty? She said yes, pointed down, and peed right in front of me on the floor!!! I feel ya mama
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How often do you all take your LOs potty? We tried underwear for two days again last week and he peed in them every single time.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
How often do you all take your LOs potty? We tried underwear for two days again last week and he peed in them every single time.
Totally normal for them to do this. Undies provide privacy, which they are used to when wearing diapers. And undies kind of feel like dipes, since it is close to the skin. Might want to try loose long cotton pants, that way the pee and poop runs down the legs and feels icky. Looks like a disaster at first but it will get better! Keep going, eventually he will get it. I take my LO every 45 mins. to an hour. TELL him, DON'T ASK him. LO's almost always say "no" to the "do you need to go?" question. Be firm and bring the toy he is playing with so that he doesn't feel like you are totally pulling him away from the activity.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwoman

Totally normal for them to do this. Undies provide privacy, which they are used to when wearing diapers. And undies kind of feel like dipes, since it is close to the skin. Might want to try loose long cotton pants, that way the pee and poop runs down the legs and feels icky. Looks like a disaster at first but it will get better! Keep going, eventually he will get it. I take my LO every 45 mins. to an hour. TELL him, DON'T ASK him. LO's almost always say "no" to the "do you need to go?" question. Be firm and bring the toy he is playing with so that he doesn't feel like you are totally pulling him away from the activity.
I tried loose pants today - great suggestion! Only one accident so far. After that he took himself as needed. Thankfully he does not have poop accidents at all, because yeah that sounds gross lol.

I still struggle with "making" him use the potty at frequent intervals though. He's almost four, so he's kind of past the age of being forced to do something he doesn't want to. When you add in that his preschool teacher has asked us to start working on him with standing to pee, it gets even more complicated. Tomorrow he's back in pull-ups for school, but when he gets home I'm pulling out the sweatpants again.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica View Post
I tried loose pants today - great suggestion! Only one accident so far. After that he took himself as needed. Thankfully he does not have poop accidents at all, because yeah that sounds gross lol.

I still struggle with "making" him use the potty at frequent intervals though. He's almost four, so he's kind of past the age of being forced to do something he doesn't want to. When you add in that his preschool teacher has asked us to start working on him with standing to pee, it gets even more complicated. Tomorrow he's back in pull-ups for school, but when he gets home I'm pulling out the sweatpants again.
I'm glad the sweat pants worked! Yeah, that is tough with an almost 4 yo. Can the preschool teacher just keep him in sweat pants throughout the day? Maybe have the teacher do a "three strikes" kind of thing, where he has to go back into pullups when he has his third accident in a row? I know it's a hassle, but from what I've read, it's a lot more effective to totally take away any type of diaper-like wear so that there isn't any other choice but to go potty. Standing up to pee- yeah, that will take time. My LO started doing that this week more regularly since big brother does it. He'll get there!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongwoman

I'm glad the sweat pants worked! Yeah, that is tough with an almost 4 yo. Can the preschool teacher just keep him in sweat pants throughout the day? Maybe have the teacher do a "three strikes" kind of thing, where he has to go back into pullups when he has his third accident in a row? I know it's a hassle, but from what I've read, it's a lot more effective to totally take away any type of diaper-like wear so that there isn't any other choice but to go potty. Standing up to pee- yeah, that will take time. My LO started doing that this week more regularly since big brother does it. He'll get there!
I wish! Honestly I'm just glad I found a preschool that takes a kid who's not potty trained. They don't want him there without pull-ups unless he's trained though, multiple accidents would probably mean a call from the director I'm feeling pretty positive after today though. School is only 1/2 day, 3 days/week. Home time will be loose pants till he's consistently dry, then we'll try undies again.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtchica

I wish! Honestly I'm just glad I found a preschool that takes a kid who's not potty trained. They don't want him there without pull-ups unless he's trained though, multiple accidents would probably mean a call from the director I'm feeling pretty positive after today though. School is only 1/2 day, 3 days/week. Home time will be loose pants till he's consistently dry, then we'll try undies again.
DD was completely trained for a month at home and they still required pull ups at school for her. I stopped putting her in pull ups and into Blueberry trainers for school when she had come home dry in the same trainer she went in with for 2 weeks, I didn't ask, I just did it!

It sounds like he's making progress, hooray!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
saady
Registered Users

I don't have ideas, but similar situation with a 47 month old boy. I will check out oh crap. potty training
saady is offline   Reply With Quote