Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

Like you, this is our first year, and we took a WAY TOO LONG break in Dec/Jan. When we started back up - mid January, we clicked much better and things are going even better than they were before (and I thought they were going pretty well prior to our break!)

So almost the exact same story as you have.

I am not sure how or why, but suddenly my ODD is not bothered when I say "Hey let's do a math lesson." or "Hey, pick out a book to read to me, ok?"

Yesterday, she did 2 science lessons (I combined them into one), one math lesson, and one lang arts lesson. All with NO COMPLAINT, and much enthusiasm. I was very surprised! I had to actually stop and say, "This is enough for today. We don't need to do too much."

I felt so productive!!

Then recently, she has started saying things like, "Mom, you know who is my bestest BEST friend ever??!.... YOU!.... because you are my teacher and you help me learn."

I realize this will not last forever. I am certain it will get harder somehow. But for now, I am really loving it, and feeling like "Yea, I got the hang of this!!"

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Art mama's Avatar
Art mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
Like you, this is our first year, and we took a WAY TOO LONG break in Dec/Jan. When we started back up - mid January, we clicked much better and things are going even better than they were before (and I thought they were going pretty well prior to our break!)

So almost the exact same story as you have.

I am not sure how or why, but suddenly my ODD is not bothered when I say "Hey let's do a math lesson." or "Hey, pick out a book to read to me, ok?"

Yesterday, she did 2 science lessons (I combined them into one), one math lesson, and one lang arts lesson. All with NO COMPLAINT, and much enthusiasm. I was very surprised! I had to actually stop and say, "This is enough for today. We don't need to do too much."

I felt so productive!!

Then recently, she has started saying things like, "Mom, you know who is my bestest BEST friend ever??!.... YOU!.... because you are my teacher and you help me learn."

I realize this will not last forever. I am certain it will get harder somehow. But for now, I am really loving it, and feeling like "Yea, I got the hang of this!!"
Awe I love this! Me on the other hand had my dd tell me she kinda wanted to go back to school because she missed her friends
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
Awe I love this! Me on the other hand had my dd tell me she kinda wanted to go back to school because she missed her friends
LOL I almost fell over. I am fairly sure I got tears in my eyes.

She has never been to public school. She just turned 6 a few days ago.

I KNOW this won't last. I am sure of it.

But for now I am totally soaking it all up!

I think it also helps that at least once or twice a week, we GO somewhere. We met a homeschooling group in our area and have been doing things with them.. Last week we went to the zoo. This week we went to McDonald's for lunch today and they played in the play area.

It helps that the kids have regular friends of all ages that they see on a semi-regular basis.

And this is in addition to them going to our religious meetings 2-3 times a week, and the friends they have there, and then all the stuff we do with DH as a family (yesterday we went to the mall play area)....

I think the extra activities really go a long way. It's good for them to see that different kids can be taught in different ways. some go to public schools, some to private schools, and some - "just like you!" - are taught at home by their parents. None are right or wrong, and they can all be awesome.

Or at least, that's how I try to sell it.... lol
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Art mama's Avatar
Art mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

LOL I almost fell over. I am fairly sure I got tears in my eyes.

She has never been to public school. She just turned 6 a few days ago.

I KNOW this won't last. I am sure of it.

But for now I am totally soaking it all up!

I think it also helps that at least once or twice a week, we GO somewhere. We met a homeschooling group in our area and have been doing things with them.. Last week we went to the zoo. This week we went to McDonald's for lunch today and they played in the play area.

It helps that the kids have regular friends of all ages that they see on a semi-regular basis.

And this is in addition to them going to our religious meetings 2-3 times a week, and the friends they have there, and then all the stuff we do with DH as a family (yesterday we went to the mall play area)....

I think the extra activities really go a long way. It's good for them to see that different kids can be taught in different ways. some go to public schools, some to private schools, and some - "just like you!" - are taught at home by their parents. None are right or wrong, and they can all be awesome.

Or at least, that's how I try to sell it.... lol
I actually find myself trying harder to keep her relationships going with her friends from when she was in school. We haven't found a he school group that we click with yet. It would be nice to have other homeschool friends too.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
mama_to_DJM's Avatar
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,079
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

This is my 4th year... I still feel like I'm not very good at it! The kids are doing very well, our days are just a lot more chaotic than I feel like they should be. It's not like things just get easier every year- things change! My 1st year of homeschooling, my younger two kids still took naps. Not anymore! Then in year 3 my middle child started homeschooling, which added more scheduling challenges. Really no two years have been the same!
__________________
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Took us a year to get a groove going.

This is our 6th year. We have 5 in "school" and 2 that are too young. But my 3 year old goes to special ed preschool at the local school 4 days a week.

We have a set routine for school and I test my kids twice a year to make sure they are on track.

We took a nice long cmas break and will take 2 weeks in the spring. We also just had two weeks off because my 14 year old was hit by a car. It sidtracked us a bit but we have to just bite the bullet and get on track with so many kids to teach.

It takes a while to see what works for you as a family. It gets easier and easier as time goes and and you find what your kids thrive at and enjoy.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Took us a year to get a groove going.

This is our 6th year. We have 5 in "school" and 2 that are too young. But my 3 year old goes to special ed preschool at the local school 4 days a week.

We have a set routine for school and I test my kids twice a year to make sure they are on track.

We took a nice long cmas break and will take 2 weeks in the spring. We also just had two weeks off because my 14 year old was hit by a car. It sidtracked us a bit but we have to just bite the bullet and get on track with so many kids to teach.

It takes a while to see what works for you as a family. It gets easier and easier as time goes and and you find what your kids thrive at and enjoy.

This sounds pretty interesting. Mind sharing a bit more?

How do you test them?

Sorry to thread-jack.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

This sounds pretty interesting. Mind sharing a bit more?

How do you test them?

Sorry to thread-jack.
Yup.

I use this

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.or...earn-math/?c=1

And this

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.or...n-reading/?c=1

They also have other assessments there as well but these were easy to use.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Texasmom's Avatar
Texasmom
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 173
My Mood:
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

I have only been homeschooling a month the first few weeks were tough but now I have a routine and I'm loving it. Im so glad I decided to pull my kids out of public school.
__________________
Homeschooling non vaxing mom to 4
Rachel 16 Kimberly 13 Chloe 11 Nathaniel 8
Texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
SarasynFox's Avatar
SarasynFox
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Central Texas
Posts: 147
My Mood:
Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?

You know, I think getting good at it really depends on what kind of technique you use. Different kinds of homeschooling take different skill sets. I feel like for the first two years I was kind of dabbling. We did a little Waldorf. We did a little Montessori. Finally we settled on unschooling. I think in time we might adapt a kind of Montessori and Waldorf mix for my littlest along with unschooling.

I think the truth is you don't necessarily get "good" at homeschooling, but you certainly do get good at recognizing the needs of your family, recognizing styles and techniques that work for you, and getting the skills, morals, etc you value conveyed to your children in a way they can understand. I think the more you dabble between homeschooling styles, the harder it is to really get good and comfortable with any of them. However, you certainly do get good at knowing your kids, their challenges, and how to help them!

There are still days where I sit back and think, "What am I doing? I can't possibly be giving my kids a proper education because I totally suck at this!" Then my daughter comes out with some random, highly intelligent comment about Monsanto and the food industry (which is really a big interest of hers right now) or about Picasso, and I'm suddenly feeling much better. My son (though with REALLY inappropriate timing) tells everyone at the dinner table that we're eating the makings of poop and then has to tell everyone exactly how their food becomes poop. He's almost 6, so I cut him a break on that, but he knows a good deal about the human body, more than most kids his age know, which I think is great. It really shows me that I'm really on the right track, even though I doubt myself at times.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.