Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can someone help me find some wool? Please?

I have always avoided wool- it was intimidating and I didn't really have a need for it. But now I have a crazy soaker & I'm desperate for a nighttime solution. But I don't know where to look or what to look for as far as quality and care or price. I'm not opposed to used, but I don't know what to look for, what questions to ask or how much is fair. (I would love to spend as little as possible while still ending up with a good quality & reliable solution.)

Also, what do I need to know about taking care of my new wool & what do I need to go with it? Do I have to use fitteds with wool or can I use flats & prefolds?

I'm open to listing links, referrals, spam, shameless self-promotion... anything really. TIA!

Advertisement

SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone help me find some wool? Please?

I'm interested in all of the above as well
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't say enough great things about Disana wool. Their soakers are 2 layers of machine knit wool and are great for begginers or what I called myself "Wool for dummies" I buy mine from Small Green Footprint because they have the best prices I have found and come with a sample wool wash bar that is nice for spot cleaning. I have used lots of various wool washes and lanolin options and would suggest CJ's wash and spray for simple ease of use with great results. Abby's Lane has free shipping and 5% off coupon codes all the time. I use snappi'd prefolds with Disana for days and have used various fitteds, wh, and pfs with doublers for nights. I hand wash my covers but do spin them out in the washer so that they dry much faster.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

For cheaper quality wool you can look on etsy or hyena cart for nice upcycled wool. It is in my experience the easiest to care for as well. Look for one with a double layer in the wet zone. YOu will also need wool wash(either liquid or bar)for washing, and lanolin for relanolizing as needed. You may be able to find a seller willing to lanolize for you. Not sure about that though. You shouldn't need to wash but once every week or two and lanolize maybe once every month or so.

Washing is easy as well. You can choose to hand washing luke warm water or machine was on delicate cycle. I fill a small water level using cool water anda small amount of detergent. Then let agitate for about 60 seconds(my delicate cycle isn't very delicate). Them let soak for about 10 minutes., agitate for another 30-60 seconds, spin out. I do rinse similar but skip the second agitation. Spinning out in the washer helps to speed up dry time. I do sometimes dry my prefelted upcycle in the dryer. I never machine dry my hand knits.

Lanolizing is easy just google it on line. You will find many tutorials.

Yes you can use flats and prefolds under wool. Just remember for a heavy wetter you will need to add absorption because neither flats nor prefolds alone will likely be enough for all night. We do use them alone but my little one is a very light wetter. Sometimes he is still totally dry after 2-3 hours.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJeannieZ3 View Post
I have always avoided wool- it was intimidating and I didn't really have a need for it. But now I have a crazy soaker & I'm desperate for a nighttime solution. But I don't know where to look or what to look for as far as quality and care or price. I'm not opposed to used, but I don't know what to look for, what questions to ask or how much is fair. (I would love to spend as little as possible while still ending up with a good quality & reliable solution.)

Also, what do I need to know about taking care of my new wool?
I found Sudz n Dudz use and care page really helpful!
http://sudzndudz.com/index.php?main_...48e85ff7e4aa91

I have one wool cover from Loveybums and I plan to get more from them because it's working out really nicely. It is just a jersey day time cover. I am interested in getting some interlock from them also, for nighttime. Their prices are really reasonable for interlock!
Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annedee View Post
I am interested in getting some interlock from them also, for nighttime. Their prices are really reasonable for interlock!
By interlock, I mean wool interlock soakers. I'm a little tired...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
mbusd03
Registered Users

I just started using wool also. I ordered a Disana soaker from Abby's Lane. Disana is pretty reasonably priced and has worked well for us so far at night. Caring for wool isn't as hard as it might sound either. I just wash using baby soap for now(because I still have tons of samples), and I use my Lansinoh lanolin to lanolize it. The whole process of washing takes maybe 10-15 minutes max, and lanolizing another 15 minutes. You only need to wash once a week and lanolize even less than that. There are of course wool washes available as well as lano cubes specifically made for lanolizing your wool if you want to go that route. You can get these from any CD store like Abby's Lane, Kissed by the moon, or you can find a bunch on etsy also.

As far as what to use with it, since you need to pull on the Disana soaker, it just seems easier to use fitteds, or I guess you could probably use a snappi'd prefold/flat. I prefer to just use fitteds though because I feel like it would contain any poop much better...but I'm not very good at my flat folds yet so maybe someone with more experience doesn't have that problem For me, the fitteds contain everything so I don't have to worry about getting any ebf poop on my wool.

This website has some good info on Disana soakers and caring for your wool:

http://littlespruce.wordpress.com/ca...diaper-covers/
mbusd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJeannieZ3 View Post
Do I have to use fitteds with wool or can I use flats & prefolds?
The cover that I have looks just like a fitted diaper, and it wouldn't be hard to use prefolds underneath. I tried to add a pic, but I'm not sure it's gonna work...

It worked

Last edited by Annedee; 12-13-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
kirst
Registered Users
seller

If you go on eBay and search "Disana" there is a seller from Germany with the name "oekolinchen" that has really reasonable prices, just use Google translate to read her listings. She always ships with insured confirmed packages, so nothing gets lost. I have purchased from her 3 times and have been very happy every time with the price, speed of shipping, shipping cost value, and product (she sells new Disana and Engel and woolies). Upcycled wool from etsy is another option....lately though, I have had several bad experiences with WAHM wares that were poor quality and/or took forever to ship, so now I am feeling a little wary because you never know what the quality is until it arrives. Woolybottoms does excellent upcycled wool and some interlock now....but you have to stalk her site by liking her on FB to actually buy anything. I love everything I have from her, though.

I knit myself, but haven't had any time to knit anything since my son was born last April. He doesn't nap and I'm a single mom, so I think knitting is going to have to wait until he's older ( and probably well out of diapers) to be my hobby again.

There's also this (if you're crafty): http://www.clothadventures.com/how-t...-wool-longies/

Way faster than knitting them from scratch. I made two longies from one thrift store sweater one night between 10:00 and midnight....those are his PJs now.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote