Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: February Use Your Stash Chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa View Post
I have a couple quick questions.

To sign up, how do I do it? I saw some just saying I am in, while others listed goals…Is either fine? I have some goals and things I want to try to accomplish, but with my skill, who knows how well that will go!

Also, toward the end of the month, I might need help tallying up the points, because I don't quite get all of it. Most yes, but a few things confuse me.

I cannot wait! I know my husband is looking forward to me not buying any fabric either
post on the game thread. Your in. You can do an intro if you want and write "goals".

I would not wait till the end to tally up points. How are you going to remember how much fabric you used for each thing. It is much easier to put them in as you go.

Cheat sheet (1 yd is 36 inch x the width of the fabric. The width on cotton might be 45" but on a knit it could be 72". So the same size toddler dress in a cotton woven might take 1 yd and in a knit take 1/2 yd. )
1 yd or 36" =8 pts
7/8 yd or 31 1/2" =7 pts
3/4 yd or 27" =6 pts
5/8 yd or 22 "1/2 =5 pts
1/2 yd or 18" =4 pts
3/8 yd or 13 1/2" =3 pts
1/4 yd or 9" (or a FQ) =2 pts
1/8 yd or 4 1/2" = 1 pt (Or a piece of smaller scrap fabric.)

Sometimes you might have to guesstimate the fabric usage as we rarely make stuff that is perfect squares. It is normal to have small scraps left over after cutting a pattern. So if you mostly use 1 yard with just edges and small scraps left over... count it as 1 yard.

Advertisement

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok- so wipe are my first thing on the list...I have 7 28" pieces of flannel that will be made into wipes ( approximately 8 wipes)...Do I count that as a 3/4 yard for 6 pts PLUS the points for the wipes made (10 wipes is 1 pt? Although, I don't serge, so it is all sewn on the machine- wasnt sure what the two different wipe methods on the front page meant) Or JUST for the yardage?

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here was my first project for the day. We found the fabric yesterday for super cheap, and we decided (my 7 yo and I) to make a monster Minky giraffe fabric...so fun!

He loves it, and it only took about about an hour and a half or so to make His mouth is messy...luckily, he is supposed to be weird since he is a booga monster

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok- so wipe are my first thing on the list...I have 7 28" pieces of flannel that will be made into wipes ( approximately 8 wipes)...Do I count that as a 3/4 yard for 6 pts PLUS the points for the wipes made (10 wipes is 1 pt? Although, I don't serge, so it is all sewn on the machine- wasnt sure what the two different wipe methods on the front page meant) Or JUST for the yardage?
Ok.. first, are you using 2 layers of fabric, sewing them together facing each other then turning them rightside out and stitching around the edge or are you going to just zigzag around them with the backs facing and call it done? I count this version as serging since it's only one step.

If you are doing it with the first (T&T method)

8 wipes
+ 6 for 3/4 yard of fabric
+ 2 for diaper related FO

If you fake serge them, you only get the yardage fabric since it didn't take the extra steps and you don't have enough of them to count for the serged wipe FO

(At least that is how I would add them f it was me)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
Ok.. first, are you using 2 layers of fabric, sewing them together facing each other then turning them rightside out and stitching around the edge or are you going to just zigzag around them with the backs facing and call it done? I count this version as serging since it's only one step.

If you are doing it with the first (T&T method)

8 wipes
+ 6 for 3/4 yard of fabric
+ 2 for diaper related FO

If you fake serge them, you only get the yardage fabric since it didn't take the extra steps and you don't have enough of them to count for the serged wipe FO

(At least that is how I would add them f it was me)
I have done some both ways...I think I will just count it as the least amount of points though...I have a lot of wipes I have to make and I don't want to steal points

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have done some both ways...I think I will just count it as the least amount of points though...I have a lot of wipes I have to make and I don't want to steal points
Just "bundle" them so say you do 8 today, 6 tomorrow, and 10 the next day.. on day 2 of it count 12 serged (honestly this was my favorite way to do wipes.. and not on my serger either on the sewing machine just zig zagged tightly then a straight stitch around (now I have a machine that does this all in one step and calls it an over-edge stitch)) then on day 3 you have another set of 12

Love your little monster
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Alyssa~that monster is awesome!

I'm excited to get started today. I've been holding off on doing some things the last two weeks, so I could count them for the game. Instead I've been super planning what I *think* I can get accomplished this month. Like laying different fabrics out and deciding what will become what.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
T&T stands for turning and top stitching. Basically you are leaving a hole on a flat side <not corner> and sewing wrong sides together. Then "turn" them right side out and topstiching the right side.

I've used 3 different methods for making wipes in the past. (With no serger)
From Left to Right:

Swirls & teddy bears- 2 pieces of fabric (flannel & woven) Turned and topsstiched (I picked this one because I used red to topstitch so it is easy to see in a picture)
White alphabet/animals-1 piece of flannel The edge sewn over and the edge of the turned fabric in the very middle of the sewing of the stitch. (Notice NO Fraying and a very clean look.)
Blue stripes-1 piece of flannel just stitched around the edge. (I was bored and used all kinds of crazy decorative stitches. ) They frayed a little on the edges. This was a receiving blanket before it was a wipe.

Personally I prefer the turned edges or turned and topstiched as they look so much cleaner. But they are just wipes and going to get covered in nasty yuck. I've made my ugly blue striped ones when I was pregnant with DD... so they have held up for 18 months. They are all functional. I also made T&T flannel/flannel wipes.

Sorry for the very long explanation . I hope you can visualize what others are talking about in regards to the wipes.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sewing question. Can I make a ruffle apron out of a jersey fabric? (that is what I think it is called...the stretchy shirt feeling material). It is the only heart material I have on hand, and I wanted to make my daughter a ruffle apron anyway (then make myself one next week).

I think I am being really optimistic about how much of this stuff on my list is actually going to come out. I am confident about maybe two of the things on my list...the rest is all new things!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
T&T stands for turning and top stitching. Basically you are leaving a hole on a flat side <not corner> and sewing wrong sides together. Then "turn" them right side out and topstiching the right side.

I've used 3 different methods for making wipes in the past. (With no serger)
From Left to Right:

Swirls & teddy bears- 2 pieces of fabric (flannel & woven) Turned and topsstiched (I picked this one because I used red to topstitch so it is easy to see in a picture)
White alphabet/animals-1 piece of flannel The edge sewn over and the edge of the turned fabric in the very middle of the sewing of the stitch. (Notice NO Fraying and a very clean look.)
Blue stripes-1 piece of flannel just stitched around the edge. (I was bored and used all kinds of crazy decorative stitches. ) They frayed a little on the edges. This was a receiving blanket before it was a wipe.

Personally I prefer the turned edges or turned and topstiched as they look so much cleaner. But they are just wipes and going to get covered in nasty yuck. I've made my ugly blue striped ones when I was pregnant with DD... so they have held up for 18 months. They are all functional. I also made T&T flannel/flannel wipes.

Sorry for the very long explanation . I hope you can visualize what others are talking about in regards to the wipes.
This was super helpful!! I have tried to make a couple kinds, and the only one that looked good so far was the zigzag on top. I have tried to do some of the turning in kinds (wrong sides together and they are SO ugly. They are for my house and not as gifts. haha) Yours are all way prettier than mine