Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Working on new diet for DH and myself ...

Actually my husband and I have become convinced that you can train your taste buds. I never used to like squash or avocados. Now I love both plain! My husband asks me to save him some pieces of avocado for his salads now...

My husband eats a bit differently than I do, now, but he'll sometimes try things I make and like them. I've done sweet potato black bean chili a few times and he likes that. He hasn't been willing to try most squash yet but he does really like butternut squash soup. We've been snacking a lot of nuts lately, and raisins instead of things like chocolate chips or chips, etc. I don't buy processed foods for myself or our little ones any more...he still eats pasta sometimes though.

Right now we do eat a lot of eggs, whole milk yogurt, and sardines and we all like quinoa. I eat a lot of salads and I've been baking a bit with coconut flour (which tends to use a lot of eggs.) We snack a lot on raw carrots now.

I like to freeze bananas for banana "ice cream" or smoothies. Yum. I also juice quite a bit - mostly carrots. You can use lettuce leaves like Romaine lettuce for wraps.

It's been fun experimenting... I also like to pick out new veggies I've never heard of to try and find creative ways to prepare them or just eat them raw if they are edible that way.

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerose_RCM View Post
DH would die if we tried to cut out meat completely although I would be perfectly fine with it, lol. We're trying to work on portion sizes too but DH eats a lot and thinks I never eat enough (grrr) even though i'm overweight and he's not. We're trying to cut out processed foods entirely but cutting out carbs would not work for us because we love bread too much to give it up completely, but we are going to eat it in moderation. I've never been much of a drinks person so that's not an issue for me but it is for DH and he's working on it.
He may be onto something. My general cal consumption....just eating normally with thinking about it, was about 1400cals. Im 206lbs. I bumped that to 1800 and lost 5lbs in 10 days. I just wasnt eating enough and causing my body to hang onto everything! I suggest you track all calories for a week to see wgere you fall. Myfitnesspal.com is super easy to use. I have the app and love it.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

I wanted to come back and update. Our new diet is going good so far. For groceries we've only been buying fish, chicken, turkey bacon, eggs, vegetables, fruits, whole grain bread and pasta products (we don't each much of them though), and yogurt and cheese. We've ate out a few times, not as much as we used too, and we're trying to make healthier choices when we do so.