Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #51
cbreeding
Registered Users

Re: S/O kids hair

Yes to all of the above as long as they can take care of it. My oldest is 5 and right now boy and girls, alike, have short hair because it is easier on me taking care of it.

Advertisement

cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #52
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes to it all.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #53
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Have long hair (boy) Working on it!
Have short hair (girl) Not my girl. Her hair just wouldn't work short IMO. Very fine texture, and with patches of curly & straight hair - it would be a pain. But a different girl with different hair, yeah.
Have no hair? Heh. Not on purpose.
Have blue hair? Temporarily. Maybe something more permanent when they're older.
Have a mohawk? Did so last spring. He had a pretty tall Mohawk going for a couple weeks. Then we trimmed it down to a short one for a while longer. Went to Seaworld when he had the tall Mohawk. (He was 6.) he loooved all the looks he got.
Have dreads? Again, neither of my kids has hair that would do it well. With hair that works well for it, sure. I like kids with dreads.
Have a mullet? I choose to believe that neither of them would ever want one.

Edited to add:

The green washed out. He loved the mohawk, but got tired of it after a couple weeks.

Last edited by momtojande; 02-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #54
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have long hair (boy) No, don't like long hair on boys.
Have short hair (girl) Not sure depends on length I guess
Have no hair? Yes for a boy no for a girl
Have blue hair? No for both
Have a mohawk? Yes for my ds love mohawks
Have dreads? Nope for both
Have a mullet? Nope for both

Last edited by mom2jirms; 02-01-2013 at 09:04 AM.
mom2jirms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #55
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm pretty much open to anything when it comes to hair. For some of the more long-term choices (no hair, mohawk, etc.) I would want them to wait until they were old enough to understand the fact that some choices take a while to reverse. But yeah, I had every color of the rainbow when I was a kid, and I spent a fair amount of my teen years with a Chelsea haircut. I had friends that shaved their hair into a male-pattern baldness style. Now THAT was a riot! Anyhow, many of us don't have the freedom to have a blue mohawk when we are 21 and supporting ourselves. Those school years are the time to really express yourself while you can. Of course, my sister is in her 40s and lucky enough to have a career that lets her have purple hair. I'm a tad jealous!

Last edited by Janine; 02-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #56
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
No to pretty much all of it. I cannot stand long hair on boys and the older ones with the hair flip thing makes me want to scream.
No short hair for girls because I was forced to have pixie cutes as a kid with a very round face and even though I was very skinny I was always told I had a fat face so girls get long hair.
The other stuff is not allowed by school so it's a no also, maybe a dye thing for ODD in the summer but no to the rest.
Also DS has super thick hair and even if I allowed long hair it would probably smother him in the hot summer months.

And I feel that setting no expectations on things as simple as hair allow children to grow into adults who believe they can do as they wish and wonder why they cannot do well in a job or hold a position in the real world. It's ok to have expectations and say no for little things.

I will also add that my kids are "cruelly forced" to wear a uniform to school everyday and I don't allow any deviation from the expected uniform. I also have rules and expectations on what they can wear casually. I truly am the "mean" mom but I am ok with that in many ways.
You're not the only mean mom. Add me to the list. My answer would be no to all.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #57
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I have had long hair, short hair (almost down to nothing) blue (and every other color) hair, a Mohawk (a real one, not a faux hawk) and dreads so I would be a hypocrite to not allow them to do that. It needs to be their own decision though and I would ask then to wait on the dreads and major color changes until 16 as the color is a lot of upkeep and they would need a job to pay for it and dreads are a bit of a commitment IMO so I would want them to be ready for it.

I am not fond of a mullet but whatever floats your boat ya know. It's just hair

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgoodgravy View Post
And I feel that setting no expectations on things as simple as hair allow children to grow into adults who believe they can do as they wish and wonder why they cannot do well in a job or hold a position in the real world. It's ok to have expectations and say no for little things.
(Not meaning this to be argumentative...just pointing out: )

Letting kids have a say in their hair, or even have some crazy hair, does not mean no expectations. You can still enforce that their hair has to be clean, combed neatly, etc.

And letting kids have a say in their hair does not mean you set no expectations in other areas, or that they grow up to be spoiled, chronically unemployed adults.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Yeah....no to most of that.

I would not be opposed to short hair on a girl, I would not allow long hair on a boy.

Absolutely no dreads, we both think they are disgusting. No mohawks or what have you either.

No I'm not interested in debating our standpoint. Somehow both DH and I grew up without having to rebel because of hair style. We both chose a career choice that has required hair style and length for men and women so it's never been an issue.

I would not be opposed to a younger child experimenting with hair color over the summers. Here it's not permitted in the school system our children will be attending.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #60
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sure no permanent hair dye on little kids because of the chemicals, but kool aid sure my 3 yo DS has long hair. And no dreads until they can take care of them themselves

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote