Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered Users
Sanitary Cycle?

Please settle an argument between my husband and I. DH generally does the laundry. I've been doing it while I've been on maternity leave. We have an HE front loading washing machine. I have been washing our diapers (BGE's, Fuzzibunz and Swaddlebees) on Hot, prerinse, extra water, extra rinse. I recently found out that DH washes the diapers on the sanitary cycle. I'm concerned that this will ruin the PUL on the diapers.

He argues that it's fine as he used that cycle for a year on our old BG Organics for a year before our first son potty trained and the diapers were fine. Except they weren't - they had holes and they were starting to no longer be water proofed, however this could also be that they were used pretty heavily for 2 1/2 years.

What's the verdict?

bohemiath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
My Mood:
It depends on how hot your water gets I think. I use sanitary every wash for my diapers and they are fine
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Registered Users
I think if your water is super hot it can be hard on them for sure.
Engaged to the love of my life and mama to our sweet little Kai bear born 2/12/2010 and our new little princess Savannah born 3/16/2012
baby wearing, cloth diapering, EBF, semi crunchy mama origionally from BC now a resident of good ol' AB
Saharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Users
Re: Sanitary Cycle?

Technically you're not supposed to use a sanitize cycle it will void some warranties. However if I had this option i would use it once every 3 months or so. I am not afraid to have to replace diapers after over a year use if they begin to have issues with function. I just do not want stinky diapers.

Last edited by Wholemom; 02-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Wholemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

What washer? I haven't really noticed a difference between hot and sanitize Pon mine but I do use hot.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Registered Users

It's not going to destroy a diaper if used occasionally, but over time the elastics and PUL will probably wear out faster.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
No Longer Here
My Mood:
I have always used my sanitary cycle.

Cold wash, sanitary, then a quick rinse. We have an he bosch front loader. We have been cding for over 7 years.

Some of the diapers we have now are over 3 years old and are just fine.

I wouldnt worry about it.

But i use a full cap of detergent, never strip diapers, never had elastic blow and have never had stinkies so it works for us.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Registered Users

PUL was meant to withstand very high heat. Elastic was not. All diapers do wear out eventually. If you had BGs that lasted for 2 and 1/2 years, I doubt it was the sanitize cycle that killed them, just plain old time.
Shelbyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

Something was killing my elastic. I used sanitary every time. I love using heat to kill germs and get things clean. But my elastics were up to 1 1/2 inches longer on each leg and her whole pees were coming out, after only 6 months in that diaper. I did use a splash of bleach in the prewash only. But I wrote a thread on here and most experts thought it was the heat.
FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote