Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: 4 week old will only sleep on me!

I had to sleep on couch and snug baby by the back. She's ok in crib and getting used to toddler bed at 21 months. Daddy rolls around lots so easier to sleep on couch. our eras few months.I feel you're poison. You try a heart beat CDto set of that helps?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
aimeelee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Reflux lots of spitting up. But with silent reflux they don't spit up, or not often. Faolan makes this weird.. clicking sort of noise. Like the sound right before you throw up? But then he never actually does. That's the acid coming up and going back down. It's worse, causes more damage to his esophagus.

http://www.m.webmd.com/heartburn-ger...-reflux?page=2

The official symptoms but Faolan had none of that and his milk scan was BAD.
She sometimes makes a clicking sound while she nurses, but I thought that had to do with the thrush. (Yep, we both have thrush. Good times.) And sometimes after she eats, she clearly gets uncomfortable for 5-10 minutes or so...tensing up, arching her back, getting red in the face...although it's only sometimes. I have some food sensitivities myself, so before she was born, I cut out gluten and dairy, and then after she was born, I cut out soy as well. We have an appointment with her doctor on Thursday, and I certainly have a lot to ask about!!
aimeelee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #23
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My girls were like this. I think it's pretty normal for that age but that doesn't mean it needs to continue if you need sleep!

dd1 slept in the swing for ages and dd2 hated the swing but liked the vibrating bouncy chair.

Heating the bed helped too as did the pacifier for dd1.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #24
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

I understand this fear, I really do... but.. most recent studies have shown that the risk of SIDS stems from an unhealthy lifestyle in utero and then being around smoke, etc as a newborn. Of course, that's an unpopular stance because the whole 'Sudden infant death' thing is, by definition, 'sudden' and unexplained.. but.............. the truth is that common links have been found between the vast majority of cases (some exceptions apply).

it may take a little time before you trust her to sleep on her stomach, but in the long term, it might be the best solution. A few sleepless nights now, but good healthy sleep habits over the long haul.
What the studies really show is that there is no explanation that they can find for SIDS. One of my good friends lost a baby to SIDS 4 years ago...she is definitely not an unhealthy person and did not do anything during her pregnancy to increase the risk of SIDS.

Her baby was on her back in the middle of the day when it happened. No reasons. No signs. She has since had 2 babies and is the most paranoid mom I know because of these "studies" that make her question what SHE did to make Ayvah die.

I think the "experts" don't always know what's right...

****not attacking you or pointing fingers...****

Op...both my boys slept on my chest at night at that age. It was the only way I slept. We are not a co-sleeping family but I knew I could change the habits of a small baby much easier than a toddler. We ended up swaddling and using the carseat next to our bed for the first few months. Both my boys had severe reflux and if they laid flat they would spit up terrible. Once they were able to roll themselves I couldn't keep them off their tummy. That was around 5 mos.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #25
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Try a swing. The plug in kind to save tons on batteries! My kids coslept with me, half liked swaddling, half didn't, but during the day, if I needed a shower or to eat, the swing was a miracle worker.
A child will develop flat head if left in anything too long (that would be a very long time period). None of mine got it, but was never left in anything for more than a long nap. One of mine was a marathon napper. ;-)
I nursed in bed at night, so I did alternate sides baby was on so it would be facing a different way during the night. My first was a side sleeper. My second was just a "hot" baby and couldn't wear too many clothing items ( at seven he still sweats at night, even in just his underwear, with no covers, in the winter, in the coldest room in the house) :-). Third and fourth loved the miracle blanket, but if it is warm then not too much underneath it for bed; yours might be too hot. Also, when you put them in it, you are supposed to do the shushing and swishing method to calm them. Try reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" book. Quick read, but changed everything about how I calmed a baby. Great book; actually read it at the book store, it was so interesting and quick.
Most of mine also loved Moby wraps at this stage. They are next to you, but at least hands are free and you might be able to eat or walk around more. Boppy worked for keeping arms from numbing as well.
For co-sleeping, I invested in a cosleeping pillow that went on the side of the bed UNDER the fitted sheet. I slept in the middle and baby slept between me and the pillow (not really a pillow, more like a soft barrier so baby couldn't roll off the bed). Great investment. I think it was around $100, and we still use it so my 2 year old doesn't roll off our bed.
Just remember, babies love to be held and need to be close to mama. It is a good thing. Don't beat yourself up over where she wants to be or worry too much about what the experts say. Every baby is different. This too shall pass, and you might be surprised at how you will miss it. Hugs.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #26
Alexismarie
Registered Users

My Mood:
My daughter is 3 months... We have the arms reach mini too...right next to the bed. I now use it as a night stand. She has never used it. She would do the same thing be dead asleep & wake up once we put her down. We sleep with her & have been since she was born. It's not too bad they don't want to be alone!
Alexismarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #27
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

At that age, my babies slept on me still quite a bit. Usually on the couch. I learned to just roll with it until they were about 6 weeks old then I started to put them in the basinett by the bed. I'd put the fan on for some white noise and music to drown out the other kids' noises. Sometimes they'd squak for a few minutes and then fall asleep. I tend to think that squaking (when it's not a cry/cry, but sounds more like a mild protest or baby cussing) helps rid them of energy and gets them more tired.

Also, my babies didn't love being on their backs, but liked this triangle thing that went on each side of them that placed them more on their side (I was too paranoid for tummy sleeping as well). That seemed to keep them asleep for longer.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote