Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #21
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, yep. I went on a frenzy when #2 came. I have around 80 nb dipes! Plus a ton more that DS was using. I was planning on two in dipes since we had just started PL and EC for #2. Then again, he decided he's ready and so we only use dipes for naps and overnight. I'm such a hog but have come to realize they're just dipes and need to go! lol guess if we decide ttc again, I'll buy some more! Haha

Advertisement

organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
mommyjlo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly679

40 isn't bad for two in diapers!
Oh, but that's just newborn diapers for the new baby! I have around 30 AIOs (OS), not to mention prefolds, covers, a few pockets...
mommyjlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: I have to stop buying diapers.

I totally understand. Sometimes it is helpful to take a DS break. I felt like that last year and left DS for 6 months completely even though I love it on here. I actually requested myself to be banned so that I'd stick to it. We even ended up going to mostly disposables at that point because I just needed a break from thinking about diapers. Now that I've come back partially with the hope of getting back into cloth, I seriously just want to pick something, use it and be done. The dynamic has completely changed for me.

Even just having to pick out my son's new stash was actually slightly annoying and I didn't want to spend the $, but I knew I wanted to get him back into cloth for a few reasons so I went with it. There is absolutely zero desire to buy more than we need. My husband actually encouraged me to buy at least a few "extra" seconds AIOs in addition to the Flips and flats I bought, and it felt like a waste of money. Nah, no thanks. Seriously a long break from DS and realizing that diapers are just DIAPERS did it for me. At this point I am CDing primarily to save money and I can't do that if I'm buying more stuff. Not to mention I don't want to spend the time on that kind of silly hobby. It truly is a slippery slope and sometimes you have to break free of it completely to realize how crazy it has gotten. I know, I've been there

ETA: To the OP, my personal advice is not to set yourself a budget of $40 or whatever per month. I would just stop and use what you have. $40 easily turns into $50, $60, or more. If you have enough functional diapers, then don't buy more. If cost is at all a factor in it you could pay for disposables between your spending money of $40 + whatever you are paying to wash. Just a thought.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

I need a DS break! I keep buying but when I wasn't on here for a break I didn't buy much!
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjlo View Post
Oh, but that's just newborn diapers for the new baby! I have around 30 AIOs (OS), not to mention prefolds, covers, a few pockets...
LOL okay yeah, i see your point. I find myself wanting to start a newborn stash even though hubby and I havent started fertility treatments and the youngest one of our kids came home was 9 months! No way she would have fit in newborn sizes.
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
I totally understand. Sometimes it is helpful to take a DS break. I felt like that last year and left DS for 6 months completely even though I love it on here. I actually requested myself to be banned so that I'd stick to it. We even ended up going to mostly disposables at that point because I just needed a break from thinking about diapers. Now that I've come back partially with the hope of getting back into cloth, I seriously just want to pick something, use it and be done. The dynamic has completely changed for me.

Even just having to pick out my son's new stash was actually slightly annoying and I didn't want to spend the $, but I knew I wanted to get him back into cloth for a few reasons so I went with it. There is absolutely zero desire to buy more than we need. My husband actually encouraged me to buy at least a few "extra" seconds AIOs in addition to the Flips and flats I bought, and it felt like a waste of money. Nah, no thanks. Seriously a long break from DS and realizing that diapers are just DIAPERS did it for me. At this point I am CDing primarily to save money and I can't do that if I'm buying more stuff. Not to mention I don't want to spend the time on that kind of silly hobby. It truly is a slippery slope and sometimes you have to break free of it completely to realize how crazy it has gotten. I know, I've been there

ETA: To the OP, my personal advice is not to set yourself a budget of $40 or whatever per month. I would just stop and use what you have. $40 easily turns into $50, $60, or more. If you have enough functional diapers, then don't buy more. If cost is at all a factor in it you could pay for disposables between your spending money of $40 + whatever you are paying to wash. Just a thought.
I think its great that you were able to make a change! I have 3 in diapers, and our month budget for diapers was $120-$160 before realizing our daughter was allergic to most sposies and needs the .50 each diapers. I'm comfortable with $40 a month, especially since its kind of my hobby. My geeky little hobby! LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly679 View Post
I think its great that you were able to make a change! I have 3 in diapers, and our month budget for diapers was $120-$160 before realizing our daughter was allergic to most sposies and needs the .50 each diapers. I'm comfortable with $40 a month, especially since its kind of my hobby. My geeky little hobby! LOL
I understand that, we had 3 in diapers until just recently and spent about that much on cases of 7th generation. I just assumed from the title of the thread that you were actually trying to stop buying. My mistake
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
An woman I know is pregnant with number 2 and is looking into starting cloth diapers. She likes the diapers I've made for my kids (super novice sewer) and I'm thinking about making her a fleece cover and fitted. Her baby is due around valentines day so something in that theme! I get to make new diapers for a newborn! Super excited!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
rockrmommy
Registered Users

I need to join in!!! Although I am just recently getting back into CDing, I can't even tell you how much I have spent on diapers lately. Still waiting on some to come in, but I think this should pretty much complete what I need, with a 2 year old and one on the way.
rockrmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

I was on a big diaper spree, then started having stink issues. I bought some bleach (I'm not a bleach user and I guess my common sense was out the window that day) and decided to bleach my diapers without watering it down and I got bleach spots on my brand new Bamboozles ($40 I just spent on 2 of them!) I was so bummed out. Ever since then I've come to realize that it is not feasable for me to baby my diapers, so that actually made me stop obsessing about them.

Plus, simplifying your stash helps a lot too!! Having a bunch of random dipes makes it easier to try just one more new "in" diaper. So I simplified to all flats for day, fitteds for night, both under fleece/wool, and AIOs/pockets for DH. It doesn't sound that simple, but it is simple enough for me to have variety and not get bored, but streamlined enough not to have random diapers and types everywhere.