Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dog People - HELP!

Our neighbors have 2 huskies and they just do that. It's more like a sing song howl though.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the others that he is probably bored too.

Try a kong with PB or something in it. I would stuff one for our dog (when she was a puppy) with PB, dog food, apple pieces and put it in the freezer. That provided a lot of entertainment. Puppies like to chew and if you don't give them appropriate things to chew on they will destroy things. Get some chew toys or raw hide bones.

you also said the kennel was in the other room. you can try putting in the living room. That way he can see you and still be part of the family.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I'm gonna bet on an anxiety issue. My dog howls every time I leave. He's 17. He wasn't always this way but as he's aged and he's gotten more anxious, he has started it (even though he has a companion dog). You can try a thunder shirt or ask your vet for anxiety meds, or you can try the anti anxiety pheromones for dogs (google it)

Some dogs just have anxiety. Also could be boredom. Puppies are busy!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also they need time to exercise thier brains too. Daily training for a puppy is good. Especially the basics--sit, stay, come, wait.
We have lab and when she was a puppy it was dailly--walks, free running, obedience. It took a lot of time. One reason I will not get another puppy while we have young kids. I dont have the time to devote to one like I did with our dog. we got her pre-kids
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
cristancanoe
Registered Users

He has trained you to let him out when he howls. He knows that you will let him out if he continues. He wants to be with you, maybe moving the crate to a more centralized location would help so he can see you. Be sure to reward quiet times in the crate and do not let him out while he is actively being noisy!

Our dog does this with my DH. I send her outdoors each morning and she knows she needs to stay out. When DH is home, she barks at the door until he lets her in.
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #16
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
how many hours a day is he crated?
up to 8 at night, and not more than that during the day. Like the day I was mentioning he was out from about 8 am until 6 pm when I wanted to start dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Our neighbors have 2 huskies and they just do that. It's more like a sing song howl though.
Yes, he sounds like a wolf when he does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I agree with the others that he is probably bored too.

Try a kong with PB or something in it. I would stuff one for our dog (when she was a puppy) with PB, dog food, apple pieces and put it in the freezer. That provided a lot of entertainment. Puppies like to chew and if you don't give them appropriate things to chew on they will destroy things. Get some chew toys or raw hide bones.

you also said the kennel was in the other room. you can try putting in the living room. That way he can see you and still be part of the family.
He gets a kong stuffed with frozen canned food during TV time at night. He's got the extra large size (holds about half a can) and that lasts about an hour before he's emptied it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
I'm gonna bet on an anxiety issue. My dog howls every time I leave. He's 17. He wasn't always this way but as he's aged and he's gotten more anxious, he has started it (even though he has a companion dog). You can try a thunder shirt or ask your vet for anxiety meds, or you can try the anti anxiety pheromones for dogs (google it)

Some dogs just have anxiety. Also could be boredom. Puppies are busy!!
So he's anxious about watching me? He only seems to do it when I'm at home. He stops it after we leave (I've sat in the driveway and listened, and he's always quiet when we get home too) and DH reports that he is quiet when I'm not home.

Oh, and the "mudroom" is right off of the family room. The door is removed so he can see into the family room. From his vantage point he can see most of the family room and part of the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristancanoe View Post
He has trained you to let him out when he howls. He knows that you will let him out if he continues. He wants to be with you, maybe moving the crate to a more centralized location would help so he can see you. Be sure to reward quiet times in the crate and do not let him out while he is actively being noisy!

Our dog does this with my DH. I send her outdoors each morning and she knows she needs to stay out. When DH is home, she barks at the door until he lets her in.
I am afraid this is it. Is "CIO" going to be the only solution?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This could be a combination of things.

The anxiety may be because he wants to be WITH you. By with I mean 4-6 ft or less. Try putting his very large, not easy to maneuver crate near you for a while and reward the good quiet behavior with a treat. You may have to re-train him so to speak by rewarding his quietness every 15mins or so for a while until the howling is gone.

If it is just terrible you may be able to get him with a spray bottle for howling. You may be able to just leave it in sight and him not howl once he gets used to the idea.

A Siberian needs to be worked. They are from the working group and are not satisfied with short walks and the most basic of basic obedience. He needs at least one long walk (3 miles should help) Maybe, you could rollerblade with him once you get his obedience straightened out some. I totally second the backpack. You should load it with water bottles or sand up to 15-20% of his body weight to give him a good workout. He may not like it at first, but he soon will.

He needs more training. He should be working 20 or 30 minutes every day on sit, down, stand, stay, wait, drop it, leave it, come, and crate or go. His brain needs work. If you can get his brain tired he will calm down some as well. Our dogs, work for everything. Food, attention, baths, going out, coming in, etc. They have to sit and wait
until they are released to eat or transition through doors.

Our walks are also always work. Any time I feel that there is too much tension on my leash I stop. When the tension goes away or the dog sits, we start again. I stop at every corner and make the dog "wait", and "look" and then we go. I tell them to "gee" or "haw" to turn (I am often pulled on rollerblades) They work so they will be tired.

A dog with this much energy should spend as little time in the crate as they have to, to keep them safe. I know it is hard to cut it back when you account for sleep, work, and times you just can't watch them close, but they can't get much energy out while in said crate, even with the kongs. Another thing you may look into is elk antler. Only to be used when supervised, but it is great for chewers to get some energy out as well.

I say this as I have trained and owned Siberians for 10 years. They are a very strong willed breed and are going to push for dominance, especially as they hit full adulthood. I have had some great dogs, but it has taken a lot of time to get them there. Once you have a foothold and they mature, they dont take nearly as much work, but you have to start them out well. My oldest lady is a peach. She spends most of her day on her bed or right next to where I am sitting, but she is 10. Yurik, on the other hand has been a challenge since we got him. He is totally the anxious dog. I thought he was blind a deaf for a while as a little guy because he would sit 6 feet from me and scream like he was dying. It was awful. He took months to get him to where he would tollerate the crate well and a year before he would crate without howling while I was at work. Our neighbors hated him. He got a long 4 mi walk/jog int he morning and then another 3 mi jog in the afternoon. He spent 45mins training on a long line in the front yard daily. He was just challenging. Not all dogs are one extreem or the other, but with lots of work they can become great animals even when they aren't so easy.

Good luck, don't hesitate to ask questions. And please know that I know it is not easy to fit all of that into an already hectic day away from your family, but it may be short lived if you can get the energy under control and maybe your DH will help with the walking when he doesn't have to be so worried that the dog is going to pull him over while he is trying to push a stroller or wear a babe.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
You may not have to do CIO . We used to have 5 dogs (ugh) that we kenneled at night, and as soon as they heard us walking around in the morning upstairs they all started barking. It was ridiculous. So thus is what I did. first morning I stood in front of their kennels and told them 'quiet'. As soon as they were quiet for a second I let them out. did this for a few days, then I stood at the doorway and said 'quiet'. They would get quiet. If I started walking forward, and they started again, is go back to the doorway. And try again. Then I stood in the next room. took a few weeks but they learned that if they barked I left the room and wouldn't let them out. They had to be quiet. That's how you can break the association between howling and you letting him out.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote