Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #161
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Another easy one is

Put sausage in muffin pan cups and then pour in pan cake batter in each cup. Bake until done and then serve with scrambled eggs or other breakfast foods.

Advertisement

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #162
kfosmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
Another easy one is

Put sausage in muffin pan cups and then pour in pan cake batter in each cup. Bake until done and then serve with scrambled eggs or other breakfast foods.
Silly question but bake at 350? and the sausage is cooked right?
kfosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #163
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfosmom View Post
Silly question but bake at 350? and the sausage is cooked right?
Im assuming the sausage is already cooked? I'd like to know too becasue it sounds super yummy
Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #164
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105

Im assuming the sausage is already cooked? I'd like to know too becasue it sounds super yummy
Ahh sorry forgot about the thread! I only had uncooked but I just browned it in a pan first.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #165
lizdanielle
Registered Users
seller

Easiest meal I make; Hubby's favorite for lunch since it reheats well.

Picadillo!

1lb ground meat
3-4 potatoes
1 Can tomato sauce
Tomato Bouillon (I use Knorr)

Brown meat while peeling and cutting up potatoes (less time? cut smaller!). You can add seasoning to meat, but I like to keep the sodium low. Add a couple cups of water, about 2-3 tbs of bouillon, can of tomato sauce, and potatoes. Simmer for as long as you have! I love it super duper simmered, about 40 mins (you'll need to add more water), but it is done whenever potatoes are soft. This probably serves 6; I usually do half of this for us two plus his lunch for the next day.

Easy peasy.

Last edited by lizdanielle; 02-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.
lizdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #166
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdanielle View Post

Picadillo!

1lb ground meat
3-4 potatoes
1 Can tomato sauce

Brown meat while peeling and cutting up potatoes (less time? cut smaller!). You can add seasoning to meat, but I like to keep the sodium low. Add a couple cups of water, about 2-3 tbs of bouillon, can of tomato sauce, and potatoes. Simmer for as long as you have! I love it super duper simmered, about 40 mins (you'll need to add more water), but it is done whenever potatoes are soft. This probably serves 6; I usually do half of this for us two plus his lunch for the next day.

Easy peasy.
Do you serve this over anything? Sounds pretty good!

Edited to add!
I made this for dinner tonight, no you don't need to serve it over anything. It was freaking delicious! I used a few extra potatoes to make it go further, I didn't have tomato boullion but I added some stewed tomatoes and just a little rotel (I keep it frozen in cubes in the freezer to add just a pinch sometimes)...we added green beans. My 4 year old had 4, yes FOUR servings!

Last edited by cassmartinez; 04-11-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Made the recipe and added info.
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #167
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdanielle

Picadillo!

1lb ground meat
3-4 potatoes
1 Can tomato sauce

Easy peasy.
Mmmm. This sounds good and filling. I'd probably add peas to it too. But I love peas.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #168
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggington
Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

4 bone in chicken thighs (can sub breasts, but thighs are better in this recipe)
1/4 C. soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1/4 C. teriyaki sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. powdered ginger
1/2 t. garlic powder

Place chicken thighs in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour over chicken. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.

Remove bones, shred, and serve over rice. YUMMY!

Sometimes, an hour before it's done, i'll throw in a bag of frozen california mixed veggies (broccoli, carrot, and cauliflower) and serve over rice. We call them teriyaki bowls (a la Jack in the Box).

Disclaimer: my measurements are approximations. I make the sauce to taste. We prefer it sweeter, so I add extra brown sugar (more like 3-4 T.). I'm not a huge fan of ginger, so I only use a little bit. We like garlic, so I add extra. I don't actually measure anything other than the soy and teriyaki. Everything else I just guesstimate (= Also, you can kinda play with the recipe. Sometimes i'll nix the soy sauce and just use 1/2 C. teriyaki or i'll use fresh garlic and ginger instead of powdered. It doesn't seem to effect the end product much.
This has become one of our favorites. I double it and add a little extra ginger and a bit of water. Eat it over brown rice and its SO good.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #169
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Meat and Potatoes

Brown 1 lb. hamburger meat and chopped onion, breaking up until crumbled. Once cooked and drained of grease add 1/2 inch peeled chunks of russet potatoes (as many as you like) to pan. Add 1 can tomato sauce and enough water to cover. Sprinkle in salt, garlic powder, ground cumin and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to just under a boil, cover and let cook until potatoes are tender--about 25 minutes. Serve with bread. Filling, cheap, and can be doubled or tripled as necessary, adding more potatoes to feed more people.

Last edited by MadeofStarStuff; 06-04-2013 at 05:38 PM.
MadeofStarStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #170
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeofStarStuff View Post
Meat and Potatoes

Brown 1 lb. hamburger meat and chopped onion, breaking up until crumbled. Once cooked and drained of grease add 1/2 inch peeled chunks of russet potatoes (as many as you like) to pan. Add 1 can tomato sauce and enough water to cover. Sprinkle in salt, garlic powder, ground cumin and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to just under a boil, cover and let cook until potatoes are tender--about 25 minutes. Serve with bread. Filling, cheap, and can be doubled or tripled as necessary, adding more potatoes to feed more people.
I've been making this lately and I don't know what it is about it but my 4 year old loves it lol...so simple and cheap and really filling...I'm thinking about adding a bit of Okra next time..I've added corn before and it was delicious!
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote