Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Midwife services- labor at home and transfer to hospital for pushing

Unfortunately having a homebirth just isn't an option for us but there will be a midwife here for the summer and she might be able to be there for me to labor at home and then have me transfer to the hospital last minute just for pushing. Does anyone have any experience with this or know anything about it? My doula briefly mentioned it to me today but we didn't get the chance to talk about the details. I'm hoping this would be a good option for us. Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Midwife services- labor at home and transfer to hospital for pushing

It would depend on your reasons for not doing a homebirth. Medical? Financial? There is always the chance that baby will be born at home or en route to the hospital, but unless you feel it is to risky otherwise, there is no real reason to not labor at home for as long as possible.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
It would depend on your reasons for not doing a homebirth. Medical? Financial? There is always the chance that baby will be born at home or en route to the hospital, but unless you feel it is to risky otherwise, there is no real reason to not labor at home for as long as possible.
Thank you for your thoughts. I had originally ruled out a homebirth because we live on a secluded island and don't have a midwife here. After talking to my doula today I found out that there will be one here for the summer months. But I don't think we could financially afford it. Our insurance will fully cover a hospital birth but not a midwife (they'll cover part of it if it's a fully certified midwife- but she's not). I dream of a home waterbirth but I just don't see it happening for as long as we live here.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, most midwives charge for being at the birth itself, even if a transfer is needed more often than not they still charge a full fee. I'm sure she'd do it reduced since she didn't provide any prenatal care (and I assume you'll be going elsewhere for postpartum care?) But the birth is a bulk of what they charge, so if it's a financial thing you might want to look into how much it would be for her to just be with you in labor.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Honestly, most midwives charge for being at the birth itself, even if a transfer is needed more often than not they still charge a full fee. I'm sure she'd do it reduced since she didn't provide any prenatal care (and I assume you'll be going elsewhere for postpartum care?) But the birth is a bulk of what they charge, so if it's a financial thing you might want to look into how much it would be for her to just be with you in labor.
This is what I was thinking, too.

Also, many MWs are flexible and take payments. Some will give you a deep discount for paying OOP.

Maybe you could talk to her and find out her fees/schedule....
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
This is what I was thinking, too.

Also, many MWs are flexible and take payments. Some will give you a deep discount for paying OOP.

Maybe you could talk to her and find out her fees/schedule....
Thank you both! You have a very good point. I'll need to talk to her once I get her contact information. I just hate that everything is undecided and my doula is unavailable so I'll need to talk to the other one in the practice and hopefully can work out some sort of partial trade with all of them. I could probably manage to labor at home with just a doula for a long time but I really don't want to go to the hospital too soon. I'm still wishing and hoping we could somehow make a home birth work out.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
mollym
Registered Users

My Mood:

We didn't have a midwife, but things ended up like this for us. It was my first pregnancy and I didn't want to spend a long time in the hospital. The plan was to do early labor at home, then head to the hospital (30 mins away) when contractions got under 5 minutes apart. Well, the contractions were sort of all over the place and then they started coming FAST. So by the time we realized things were progressing quickly, we just dashed to the hospital and I was 10cm by the time we got there. This was pretty much OK, the birth turned out as I wanted. But I have to tell you, I transitioned in the car, being driven down bumpy highways at 85mph. That was hell. I don't regret how things turned out, but do consider the realities of being in a vehicle during later stages of labor.
mollym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that trying to head to the hospital at that stage of labour would be terrible - sorry! It's up to you of course - you can do whatever you think is best. But I think I'd rather be settled wherever I am to deliver when labour gets intense. The idea of having to move at transition or pushing would be really awful to me.
All the best with whatever you decide!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollym View Post
We didn't have a midwife, but things ended up like this for us. It was my first pregnancy and I didn't want to spend a long time in the hospital. The plan was to do early labor at home, then head to the hospital (30 mins away) when contractions got under 5 minutes apart. Well, the contractions were sort of all over the place and then they started coming FAST. So by the time we realized things were progressing quickly, we just dashed to the hospital and I was 10cm by the time we got there. This was pretty much OK, the birth turned out as I wanted. But I have to tell you, I transitioned in the car, being driven down bumpy highways at 85mph. That was hell. I don't regret how things turned out, but do consider the realities of being in a vehicle during later stages of labor.
This is a good point. The reality is that when you get to pushing, it's very hard to transfer. My husband practically carried me out of the house during our first birth; I could not get myself out of the house. And we only live 5 minutes away from the hospital, so that's why she was born there. Otherwise it would have been in the car or on the side of the road. How far away are you from the hospital? Birth is so unpredictable that if you wait until pushing and THEN transfer..you have no idea what will happen, midwife or not.