Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried a good biotin supplement?? I have to take one PP.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy
Have you tried a good biotin supplement?? I have to take one PP.
No not yet. I wasn't sure if I could take it while nursing, but I'm going to look for some at the store tomorrow. I want to get a calcium and vitamin d supplement too.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Momof3ri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else going bald while BFing

Don't worry about it. It happens, and it is normal. I always lose hair after.
Momof3ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I lost lots with second and first both girls and after second never really got back them for pregnant again with my not. not as much hair lots but lots of baby hairs by Mt have.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
birdinhand
Registered Users

Like Dory said, part of it is that you don't lose hair like normal when you are pregnant. Then combined with hormones, you go back to normal, and I would guess you lose more, too, because around 5-6 months pp I was shedding like a collie. It is weird to be pregnant and seriously only lose maybe 10 hairs in the shower.

It does sound like the medical issues may be compounding your hair loss, and I am sorry about that. If this doctor isn't on-board with the kind of meds that you feel worked better for you, is it possible to switch to a provider who does believe you and believes in the other med?
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
daniela_d
Registered Users

Unhappy Re: Anyone else going bald while BFing

I feel like im balding too and my hair is thinning out a lot since ive been breastfeeding and it doesnt help that my mom has really thin hair too! genes??
daniela_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I went to the dermatologist they compared my hair loss to a photo of when I had been there last and told me that my hair loss is severe. This time I saw a doctor who specializes in hair loss. She ran some labs and said that it is my PCOS that is the biggest culprit in my hair loss, but my thyroid isn't helping. Those two issues compounded with postpartum hair loss has left me with noticeable bald spots.

They have me some medicine to help with the irritation from the hair falling out so fast and strongly recommended that I start using the hairmax comb. While the comb is FDA approved and looks promising its very expensive so it will have to wait because we don't have an extra $300 laying around but who does. In the meantime I'm going to get a bob hair cut and buy some hair building fiber scalp camouflage and non permanent ammonia free hair dye to try and make myself feel better. All that will only be about $50.

Oh and I'm going to switch endocrinologist. My current one doesn't want to work with the dermatologist in treating my hair loss so I'm moving on. Hopefully I can find someone who will help me.

Last edited by MandaMommy2; 02-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela_d
I feel like im balding too and my hair is thinning out a lot since ive been breastfeeding and it doesnt help that my mom has really thin hair too! genes??
My mom doesn't having thinning hair, but my dad does. He doesn't have traditional male pattern baldness. When he was about 20 his hair just started thinning all over except for the nape of his neck, just like me. The doctor said genes defiantly play a role. More so if your mother has thin hair though. I think I'm a freak of nature.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
Like Dory said, part of it is that you don't lose hair like normal when you are pregnant. Then combined with hormones, you go back to normal, and I would guess you lose more, too, because around 5-6 months pp I was shedding like a collie. It is weird to be pregnant and seriously only lose maybe 10 hairs in the shower.

It does sound like the medical issues may be compounding your hair loss, and I am sorry about that. If this doctor isn't on-board with the kind of meds that you feel worked better for you, is it possible to switch to a provider who does believe you and believes in the other med?
Yeah I'm defiantly in the market for a new endocrinologist. I haven't even seen the actual doctor in years. She always pawns me off on the nurse practitioner, who is nice but not as experienced in my opinion. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism when I was very young. I do like the natural thyroid hormone much better, but a lot of doctor frown upon it because they say your not guaranteed strength. My Endo did just switch me to name brand synthroid so maybe that will make a difference. I took the armour thyroid up until I turned 19 and it worked great for me. The levothyroxine helps with my TSH, but my t4 to t3 ratio is off and my lady knows this, but she just ignores it ugh.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Yeah time to find a new doctor. Metformin can help with your PCOS, too. I have the same issues and have been losing tons of hair. I was really worried as I know some one who now wears a wig since the birth of her last son 20 something years ago. She lost her hair after he was born. I am worried this will happen to me.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote