Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Medicaid and OOPS! I didn't make it to the hospital birth..

An uncooperative husband willing to let me undergo a much more invasive procedure would find his bed on the couch.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
An uncooperative husband willing to let me undergo a much more invasive procedure would find his bed on the couch.
Well, typically I would probably agree, but for us, it is what will work best right now.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In CA they pay for homebirth if your midwife wants to accept Medicaid. They also cover a birth center birth as well. I refused certain things at the hospital and there was no question about payment. Some states may have rules about that stuff but with Medicaid they usually bill monthly rather than globally because one month a mom might have coverage and another she doesn't. They checked eligibility every month at my office so I would assume they bill monthly or it wouldn't matter?
Anyway, I would think you'd probably have to go in and be checked out and such to make it actually look like an accident. Most people planning a hospital birth and having an accidental HB wouldn't just say "oh well, we'll just stay home!" They usually call 911 in a panic, or deliver on the side of the road ya know? I would look into birth centers, home birth MW's and such who may be covered but I would "pretend" it was an accident if it was on purpose. You may have a hard time getting a birth certificate.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One thing to be wary of...KNOW your GBS status. If you are ++ and have a homebirth and take you newbie into the hospital within a few hours, they are likely to keep him for at least 24 hours to monitor. If you don't know your status, same situation, they will usually hold the babe for observation. This has nothing to do with Medicaid, but rather Hospital policy. I fell into this last time, NOT knowing my status and fighting tooth and nail to get out of the Hospital before the 48 hour mark. I am currently 31wks, and have already made damn sure my OB is testing me at the 34-36wk mark, in case I go early. Good luck Mama! My first two were totally Unassisted births, and we had planned on this babe being the same, but he has kidney issues that will need to be checked out after his birth.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
In CA they pay for homebirth if your midwife wants to accept Medicaid. They also cover a birth center birth as well. I refused certain things at the hospital and there was no question about payment. Some states may have rules about that stuff but with Medicaid they usually bill monthly rather than globally because one month a mom might have coverage and another she doesn't. They checked eligibility every month at my office so I would assume they bill monthly or it wouldn't matter?
Anyway, I would think you'd probably have to go in and be checked out and such to make it actually look like an accident. Most people planning a hospital birth and having an accidental HB wouldn't just say "oh well, we'll just stay home!" They usually call 911 in a panic, or deliver on the side of the road ya know? I would look into birth centers, home birth MW's and such who may be covered but I would "pretend" it was an accident if it was on purpose. You may have a hard time getting a birth certificate.
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. There is only the hospital. No mw's anywhere near me. I'd choose that in a heartbeat if possible. And if we did have the baby at home, I would just go afterwards to the hospital, and say that it happened so fast I couldn't make it. ( I have had short labors and long labors, so who knows, right?)

FTR- Even though dh wouldn't do a V, he'd do just about anything for me. He's pretty awesome like that. I can't blame him for not wanting someone to cut into his dudes.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It should. I'm in nc so take it for what it's worth but my last two I had Medicaid, saw OB till the end and just stopped going when I felt ready. Birthed at home (mw we paid out of pocket and she discounted largely cause she was just that awesome) then Medicaid still covered up to 8 weeks post for check ups etc. No worries. Birth how you want
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum View Post
One thing to be wary of...KNOW your GBS status. If you are ++ and have a homebirth and take you newbie into the hospital within a few hours, they are likely to keep him for at least 24 hours to monitor. If you don't know your status, same situation, they will usually hold the babe for observation. This has nothing to do with Medicaid, but rather Hospital policy. I fell into this last time, NOT knowing my status and fighting tooth and nail to get out of the Hospital before the 48 hour mark. I am currently 31wks, and have already made damn sure my OB is testing me at the 34-36wk mark, in case I go early. Good luck Mama! My first two were totally Unassisted births, and we had planned on this babe being the same, but he has kidney issues that will need to be checked out after his birth.
Good point!!! Thanks !
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

medicaid covers homebirth in many states. have you talked to a mw to see if they accept it?
medicaid will cover if you don't make it to hossy if that is your choice your ob just won't get the big baby catching fee. if I was willing to go unassisted though no way I would be going to hossy right after having baby but that is why i have a mw and stay home
how far is a mw? mine are about 2 hours away and they can stay in another room and you can still have just you and dh there and have her check you and babe afterwards.......just a thought
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Medicaid will cover your prenatal expenses regardless of where you give birth. They have a million bazillion clients - they process claims all day long and don't look at the "complete picture" of your history of care. When you prenatal provider bills them, they will pay per their negotiated contract, so long as you are covered at the time the service was / is rendered. The only "issue" is that you will have to call your provider's office to let them know you had the baby, because normally the birth is what triggers them to bill the insurance. I'm sure they'd eventually go ahead an bill, but I think it just goes more smoothly if you just let them know.

As long as you are still covered by Medicaid at the time you have the surgery, I believe that Medicaid will pay for it, but I'm not an expert. I would call their customer service number and ask - that's the easiest way to get a straight answer :-) Good luck!