Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Being forced back to a doctor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
If you just had one I would just say as such. They won't force you down and make you have one.

I am pretty shocked that no one in your entire family has had cancer, that's seems pretty unheard of these days!

Eta- they might really want you to test for group B strep, but that's a bit less invasive. I would think a midwife would also test for that though?
They do not test for Group B because I am already forced to be on antibiotics for my replaced heart valve LOTS of antibiotics! We dont have cancer - just heart disease Well, I think my grandma has skin cancer but she just has moles removed for it, she is the reason I do not tan and wear sun screan - we have VERY fair skin and with her red hair laying out in the sun for hours was not smart

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Who's forcing you to the OB if your cardio approved a midwives care?
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
Well, you pretty much know the drill already, so I think you've answered your own questions :-) You can refuse anything you would like. Best case scenario, your providers are accommodating of your wishes. Mid-case scenario, they accommodate but begrudgingly, lecturing you, etc. Worst case, they kick you out of the practice.

Since it sounds like you only have the one practice to use, I would go to the visit and feel it out. Make your requests known. If they give you a hard time, you can decide at that point to either live with the somewhat antagonistic relationship or just go with the flow and accept their routines. It's really up to you, and none of us can really advise you because we don't know the providers and how they will react. I've found every provider to be different. Some really push for the "routine" kind of stuff you are talking about, others not so much.

I will say though, that since you have JUST had a pap, that shouldn't be any problem at all. Just explain that you had one quite recently and you will be glad to sign the release required in order to have the record of it sent to their office, but you do not wish to repeat the test so soon. Excepting when my opinion of "soon" differs sharply from the provider, I have never had any provider argue against that. Good luck with the switch, mama!

I was just worried that they can refuse me care because I am refusing the recommened guidlines - like having a pap at 12 weeks is routine for the doctors. It does not sound like anyone on here has been refused care so hopefully they will not refuse me!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
Who's forcing you to the OB if your cardio approved a midwives care?
The midwifes said that even though 'strucutally' my heart was approved for their care the second arrythmias come into play (around 18 weeks...) and I have to be on heart medication they can no longer see me (this happened my last pregnancy so they are going by that)

I told her that is dumb because the OB does not know any more then she does about my heart - I always go straight to my cardios (2 of them) with issues. I do not see what an OB is going to 'catch' as she said since they do not even listen to my heart Even if they did they wouldnt know what they are listing too!

I told the midwife that all they need to do is the normal stuff and then give me antibitiotics during delivery (I can have a natrual vag delivery). Maybe I should call the midwife lead that is telling my midwife that they can not except me... But if a doctor is not going to check me a MILLION times and do 8 ultrasounds like last time then I will be okay with them!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
The midwifes said that even though 'strucutally' my heart was approved for their care the second arrythmias come into play (around 18 weeks...) and I have to be on heart medication they can no longer see me (this happened my last pregnancy so they are going by that)

I told her that is dumb because the OB does not know any more then she does about my heart - I always go straight to my cardios (2 of them) with issues. I do not see what an OB is going to 'catch' as she said since they do not even listen to my heart Even if they did they wouldnt know what they are listing too!

I told the midwife that all they need to do is the normal stuff and then give me antibitiotics during delivery (I can have a natrual vag delivery). Maybe I should call the midwife lead that is telling my midwife that they can not except me... But if a doctor is not going to check me a MILLION times and do 8 ultrasounds like last time then I will be okay with them!
If you really prefer a midwives care; I would exhaust all options in that area first. I can understand that they may see you as higher risk and not want to have a mishap on their watch but if your being seen by a cardiologist then I don't see an issue?! Is there another midwife you could switch to?
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the pap done. But then again I have history of abnormal paps so I have to be on top of getting checked regularly.

As far as "checking" you, do you mean the cervical checks towards the end of pregnancy? I declined all of those. I did allow myself to be checked after my water broke, and a few times during the labor process. But no one did anything to me that I did not want them to do.

Just speak up for yourself. Don't "throw a fit" but simply say "No, I do not consent. This is what I want unless it's an emergency situation. And even then, I need to be notified of why you want to do something." Make sure your husband knows your wishes too, so that he can step in if for some reason you cannot communicate yourself. Or don't want to talk to anyone.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I never had one with my last pregnancy, not sure if it is normal else where. i did go for one 8 weeks post partum. But I agree with what some other mamas said, don't throw a fit, just when they bring it up state that you just had one and it was clear, if they still push just say I don't want any internal checks, if they go further say I do not consent. If they bring up something about the chlamydia test, I would say do the urine test, but again that's your choice whether you want to go ahead with that or any test.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Why not have your cardio doc call the lead midwife and reassure her that you'll be taken care of in the heart realm by him and that they can watch the baby stuff?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Here, you only get a pap if it's been a year or so since you had one. So, you would be fine.

My friend is due a month ahead of me and didn't get one because she had one recently. I'm over 30, so they only do them every 2-3 yrs and therefore I had to get one since it had been almost 2 yrs.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #20
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it really varies. My ob-gyno delays them even if you're due during your pregnancy unless your last one was abnormal. If you just had one I don't see why they would give you another. Paps aren't really related to pregnancy.