Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #291
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Everyone adjusted fast and the aprons came off. I'll have to see when I go check the coop in a few. I couldn't tell yesterday because so many moulting feathers. Hope I can tell today. I didn't see any bald spots on anyone. I also took Pitas apron off. I did find 2 of his new tail feathers out there yesterday. If it get's bad again I'm gonna cull him. I can't let him be abused by all the other older chicks. Not sure why they hate him so? There is something about him they won't tollerate. He tries to hang with the littles. Ya know, even Patients doesn't like him. He's "normal" !!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #292
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Poor Pita. Animals can sense what we cannot. Maybe he has something wrong with him that is not outwardly visual and they do not want him in the flock as a result.

AFM, first box of eggs is at the post office!

ETA: ok so I guess I'll be making that hatcher. Sarah C.'s eggs shipped this morning. She said she got me 2 wheatens and the rest lavendar, which is perfect for now! FX for a good hatch!

EEEEE!!! The silkie eggs are here and the mottled ameraucanas are waiting for me at the post office!

So I had no brokens in the silkie eggs, two look pretty porous so those may not be good but I have 2 buff, 2 grey(blue), 2 white, 1 paint, 3 from a black/paint/white pen, and ... 2 partridge!!! Wheee!!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-06-2013 at 12:10 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #293
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Thinking about how fast these arrived, that was 2 days... if I let these set for 48hrs I might be able to get Sarah C's eggs in with this hatch.

Sarah, what do you think would be better, delaying lockdown a day for the earlier eggs or lockdown 1 day early for the later batch?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #294
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did wonder if something was up with Pita? Not visual.

WOOHOOOO! Congrats hun!

If it were me, I'd do a hatcher, just to be truthfull. I have had very bad luck with day late lockdown. Bad, but not as bad with day early. I think day early is better. Somehow those times just need to be precise with me, possibly my low humidity at play?

AFM- I think the peepers are working!
Also, I switched the bators around a bit back and am loving it. I had been using the homemade as the bator. Now I use it as a hatcher. perfect! More room in the bator, lol. Plus I have to use cartons to hold the eggs and that takes so much room!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #295
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Good!! Yeah who knows, pita may have a sickness you don't know about, as hard as that may be.

I talked myself into the hatcher. J brought me home a bunch of different sized foam containers and there's one thats long and a bit shorter than my incubator with really thick walls. I think I'm going to do a bulb in it and some jars for humidity wells and put a towel in the bottom as a hatcher. I'm not even going to bother with the fan, just make sure I have lots of good air exchange down by the bottom for little chicks. Now that I've been thru a hatch I kwym about space, those little babies are like bulls in a china shop around their unhatched siblings! LOL

ETA: Picked up the mottled Ameraucana eggs, they were packed amazingly well, and I was sent 1 extra! So I have 7 of them. Giddy right now! LOL
All the eggs are placed in cartons, resting for a while. I didn't candle them, I'll know soon enough if they aren't viable and truthfully I think I'd treat them with extra care and do the no turning and then gentle turning in the cartons during the hatch whether the cells were detached or not.

These beauties are what I'm eagerly anticipating!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-06-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #296
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Advise needed. I was thinking I might just keep George as my main roo, as cull all the roo's except 1 for the neighbor. So any eggs I get will be bred by George to the girls, which crosses would be BLRW to BLRW, SLW/BRLW and EE/BLRW. Is this logical? Only keeping 1 roo to 10 hens for now?
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #297
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Yes, absolutely. George is older and probably a lot calmer with the ladies as well. He doesn't attack, right?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #298
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know really, since he has been at the neighbors for 5 months. They don't bother with the chickens much other than to feed and water. He was never aggressive before, but more standoffish. I mean, those EE's crosses would be gorgeous don't you think?
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #299
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
I don't know really, since he has been at the neighbors for 5 months. They don't bother with the chickens much other than to feed and water. He was never aggressive before, but more standoffish. I mean, those EE's crosses would be gorgeous don't you think?
Aw poor George! Why was he over there? Yeah, they'd be (zoolander voice) ridiculously good looking.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #300
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Where is everyone today!! I need to talk and get my mind off things, I have to get our taxes done at 4 and I'm so nervous I could puke. We had dh claim all the kids this year, in the past I'd claimed them on my smaller income and now it's just dh's. I'm so scared we'll get nothing back when we need it so badly or worse yet, we'll owe.