Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Preventing Tomato Worms w/ Row Covers

Would this work? Would the row covers prevent the moths from laying the eggs in the first place if you recovered the plants at night? I know I'm squeamish around bugs and should get over it, but it's not that easy for me and I want to grow a bunch of tomatoes for my family. Thoughts? BTW, I saw this hoop idea online and already have the pvc piping and was planning on doing a cinder block raised bed anyway. Also, if anyone has used row covers before, do you know of a cheap source for them? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preventing Tomato Worms w/ Row Covers

I loathe tomato worms, we had huge ones at our old house. I made my husband pick them off and squash them, or do whatever he did with them - I didn't care, they were bout big enough to eat my hand!
Anyway, from what I've read the best way to get rid of tomato worms is to rotate them from year to year. We had 2 square raised beds. I ended up growing the tomatoes around our house rather than in the garden, and did not have the tomato worm problem then.
Sorry I can't help you on the row covers...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think it's pretty close to impossible mama. Plus for many of the heirloom varieties you don't want to deny access for the bees, flies and other beneficials. This may be effective, I'm going to try it this year for the corn worm I had so bad last year.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000OBIP20

Also, I order mantis cocoons, they eat the hornworms when they are small and the moths. I ordered from Hirt's last year, they were great.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-04-2013 at 09:32 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:

I give the kids a dime for every worm they find. Saves me from prying them off the branches. Indeterminate tomatoes get very very tall (mine grew in excess of 8 feet last year) so finding a row cover large enough to cover the entire plant would be difficult.

I second the mantis egg, and also attracting other beneficial bugs to your garden. I grew 40 tomato plants last year, and only found 5 or 6 over the entire gardening season.