Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd2 is an aug 15 bday. We did not put in K this last fall at 5. Registration for K is in March. Last march dd had just started talking to kids at preschool less than a month before - she's painfully shy. Academically she would have been ok but not great. She had zero interest in her letters (didn't know more than a handful) last spring. She got interested over the summer and we could have gotten her academically ready but barely but socially she would have been a mess.

I know we made the best decision for her. At preschool she went from never participating or talking to now she is one of the more popular girls (even though she still doesn't like all the girls flocking around her but she'd never dream of hurting anyone's feelings). She has hit all the ideal academic milestones for K with confidence already. She will probably be just enough ahead by fall so it will be easier for her to adapt to a new (bigger) school and new kids for awhile and more or less ignore the academics. She struggles to adapt to new places so that is something she'll need time to do without worrying about getting behind with academics.

I know by waiting a year she'll do awesome at school instead of just ok.

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Summer b-days and kindergarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
as a k teacher I strongly suggest to friends to keep their summer bday boys out until the following year.
I agree. Ds's bday is in Aug, he lacked a lot of maturity socially and was unable to retain some of the more critical stuff. He's repeating this year.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I am a summer baby and I went when I was five. I hated it, hated it, hated it! I was the last person to do everything. The last person to drive, the youngest person to graduate, always the youngest. Totally not fun. I was fine academically though, I just hated always feeling left out. My oldest is a grade back. She was born in June and when she went to head start at age 4, she missed lots of school due to severe asthma. She also had receptive language delays and was extremely shy. She is homeschooled now and she's glad because she hated being the oldest at school. Seriously you can't win! LOL I'm glad I kept her back. My youngest was a June baby and she is three, went to preschool this year, and is starting 4k (homeschooled) at home. If I was going to start her in a regular school I would do it in a heart beat. She is healthy, extremely social, and smart as a whip. I would have absolutely no qualms about it.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
Dd2 is an aug 15 bday. We did not put in K this last fall at 5. Registration for K is in March. Last march dd had just started talking to kids at preschool less than a month before - she's painfully shy. Academically she would have been ok but not great. She had zero interest in her letters (didn't know more than a handful) last spring. She got interested over the summer and we could have gotten her academically ready but barely but socially she would have been a mess.

I know we made the best decision for her. At preschool she went from never participating or talking to now she is one of the more popular girls (even though she still doesn't like all the girls flocking around her but she'd never dream of hurting anyone's feelings). She has hit all the ideal academic milestones for K with confidence already. She will probably be just enough ahead by fall so it will be easier for her to adapt to a new (bigger) school and new kids for awhile and more or less ignore the academics. She struggles to adapt to new places so that is something she'll need time to do without worrying about getting behind with academics.

I know by waiting a year she'll do awesome at school instead of just ok.
See, that's where I struggle a bit. I know she would do fine academically. My DD has known all letters/sounds and numbers since she was 2. She's starting to teach herself how to read and learns concepts well. I have not really worked with her at all. Socially, she's just started really playing with other kids. She goes half days now and she is tired by the end of the half day. I'm a little concerned that all day K is just going to be a lot for her take in. BUT, at the same time, she is SO excited and she does not really need the support academically that a preschool would provide. Gah, so hard! I also don't want to push her too much and have her always be 1 step behind socially.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD is a sept bday. She started Kinder last august while still 4 (cutoff is CA this year was Nov 1). She is thriving, academically the top of her class, a social butterfly, etc even though she is one of the very youngest. I am VERY glad that we sent her on time. She loves school.

Ds is a July baby. He will start school on time at 5y1m. He will be the smallest and near the youngest (cutoff in CA in 2014 will be Sept 1), but at 3.5yo I can already tell that he will be ready both academically and socially. I default to sending them on time. My child would have to show MAJOR readiness issues before I would consider waiting. Even then, I'd have to be sure that it wasn't a special ed issue before delaying their entry (sending your kid to school older than the accepted age for that grade makes it harder for them to qualify for special ed services).

As a teacher, I've seen both ends of the spectrum: kids that were just too young and not ready yet and needed to repeat Kinder for that reason (not special ed reasons) and kids that were held out the year and came to Kinder BORED b/c they were WAY past what was taught, heads-and-shoulders taller than their classmates and didn't fit socially b/c everyone was 1y-18mths younger than them.

I tell parents this ALL the time: look at your kid. You know your kid best. Most kids are ready to go on time and should enroll on time, so go ahead and sign your kid up. That way you have a spot if you want it. If it is Julyish and your are sure your kid just isn't ready yet and they have a July/August bday, then go unenroll them. Just make sure that it is the child who is not ready (not you, or other people telling you that ALL summer babies should wait). Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
ifyousaygo
Registered Users

Our Kindergarten cut off day is September 1st. Hannah turned 5 on June 25th, so she's one of the youngest in her class. We went ahead and started her because she was socially and academically ready for it and was really excited to go. My other 3 kids went into Kindy already reading and Hannah was no where near reading at the beginning of the year, but she's doing fine. She doesn't have to excel. As long as she's learning and is happy, we're totally fine with that.

Save 15% on non-sale items at FRUGI, 100% organic and cut for cloth! Use code HARRIET
ifyousaygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama
Here it's not based on school year but by calendar year. Kindy starts at age 4, so any child born in 2008 would be in junior kindy this year. My sister was a December birthday and she probably should have been red shirted - she struggled for the first several years of school until she was finally left back a year. My oldest on the other hand is an October birthday, so for the first 6 weeks I was putting her on the school bus she was 3. I was petrified, but watched her progress closely. Honestly she's doing awesome, reading really well, doing simple math easily, her teachers aren't just pleased with her, they're amazed by her. It's very much dependent on the child.
Here it goes by calendar year as well except
They start at 5. We dont have jk/sk. DD started this year And was 4 when she started (November birthday). This time last year I had planned to keep her home an extra year but I am SO glad I sent her. She is doing so well and loves it. She had tons Of friends, is reading, and looks forward to going every day.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
See, that's where I struggle a bit. I know she would do fine academically. My DD has known all letters/sounds and numbers since she was 2. She's starting to teach herself how to read and learns concepts well. I have not really worked with her at all. Socially, she's just started really playing with other kids. She goes half days now and she is tired by the end of the half day. I'm a little concerned that all day K is just going to be a lot for her take in. BUT, at the same time, she is SO excited and she does not really need the support academically that a preschool would provide. Gah, so hard! I also don't want to push her too much and have her always be 1 step behind socially.
Does your dd go to preschool/Sunday school or other fairly structured activity? Last spring we talked to dd's various teachers to see if they all saw what we were seeing. Every adult who spent any amount of time with dd2 told us she was not ready (her sunday school teacher was a former K teacher even). They all said she had a lot of potential but she would not do well starting at a young 5. It helped to have other's opinions when we were deciding - particularly people who spent time with dd when we weren't around so potentially saw a different side to her.

Not the same at all - dd1 is quite smart. She knew her letters before age 2 and was reading at a 5th grade reading level in preschool. She is a november birthday so missed the cutoff dates here and was closer to 6 than 5 when she started K. Her personality is such that she doesn't know how to be bored so even though she was leaps and bounds ahead academically in K she was very happy. She was (is) quite sensitive and needed that year to mature. But another boy in her class was around the same age as her and bored out of his mind in K and always a troublemaker as a result. So I think how well they do in K when they are a bit advanced depends on their personality.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was a K teacher, and if you have a doubt, wait. You will know if your child is ready, if you are not sure, they probably aren't and I have never heard anyone say that the regretted waiting a year, though lots of people regret sending them early.

Boys especially have a harder time going early. And I think that social and emotional development are WAY more important when it comes to starting school and academic development. They will pick up on what they are learning at school, but if they are emotionally struggling? The whole thing will be much harder on them.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
I was a K teacher, and if you have a doubt, wait. You will know if your child is ready, if you are not sure, they probably aren't and I have never heard anyone say that the regretted waiting a year, though lots of people regret sending them early.

Boys especially have a harder time going early. And I think that social and emotional development are WAY more important when it comes to starting school and academic development. They will pick up on what they are learning at school, but if they are emotionally struggling? The whole thing will be much harder on them.
exactly!

people are always like, oh my kid is a genius so I sent them early. But they are so not ready socially and it is so hard on them and the rest of the students
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote