Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Failure to Thrive

Anyone else???

My 16 day old started out at 8 lb 11oz. He lost weight until day 6, when I began to supplement after realizing he was down to 7 lb 7 oz. Once supplementing he refused the breast, so we ended up just with bottles. He has been eating from 2-3 oz on average every 2-3 hours....day and night. He is getting plenty, not spitting up, having lots of wet and messy diapers. On day 9 he was up to 7 lb. 11 oz. I figured he was out of the woods and didn't weigh him until yesterday...which showed no further gain. We went into the Drs for a weight check this AM, only to realize he has LOST weight again and is back to 7 lb 7 oz at day 16. I am waiting to be scheduled with a pediatrician and am worried something is wrong. His belly looks swollen to me too and I really don't want to wait until Monday to be seen.

Advertisement

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My fourth wasn't diagnosed as FTT but had some weight gain issues initially. Born at 36w4d weight 7lb 5oz, discharged at 6lb 13oz. At his one week check up was down to 6lb 6oz. Back two days later for a weight check and up to 6lb 9oz. A week later weight check 6lb 8oz but back the next day and up to 6lb 10oz with supplementing with 1oz pumped milk after each feeding. At his one month check up was up to 7lb 11oz! It just took him awhile to get going. He's long (21 inches) and skinny.

Did you receive IV fluids during labor?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Failure to Thrive

No ideas of what's up, but .
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
doodah
Registered Users
seller

so sorry to hear this. i know there are options do deal with it but the moms i know that had FTT kids seemed most pleased with the special formulas that help baby gain weight.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 4th was born at 9lbs 1oz. 3 days after birth he had dropped to 7lbs 15oz. I was attending breastfeeding meetings with a lactation consultant because he didn't quite have a good deep latch. I could weigh him there every meeting. The nurses at the meeting got me all worked up one day saying they thought he had failure to thrive and I should take him over to the ER...since it was too late in the day for a dr appt. He really wasn't gaining weight.

I remember the doctor we first took him to at his first post-birth appt made a statement of how he needed to regain his weight back to 9.1 by his 2 week appt.

Anyway, back to the ER. The dr checked him out there and determined he was fine and healthy and suggested a pediatrician to take him to. The ped was great about the VERY SLOW birth weight. Some weeks we held steady and some we made slight advances, but by 8 weeks we had finally made it back to 9lbs.

I did supplement formula through some sort of tube that went down to my n*pple and he got both breastmilk and formula. I also used a bottle with a special nipple to help him develop a better suck. They thought he was a bit "tongue-tied". Over time he did get better and we were able to quit using both of those.

Now he is almost 3 and over 28lbs. We left that dr because he wouldn't leave us alone about vaccines...but he was great about keeping calm and helping me through that rough patch.

Just thought I'd share our story with you. I hope you get some answers quickly. I know it's so hard when things aren't going as we had hoped and the worry that comes with that.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

If you were a first time mom I would think you were overthinking this but since you have more experience than most of it I'm sure you know what you are doing.

The dirty diapers make me tend towards thinking things are mostly ok but I can't think of what would be the cause of all that food going in but not turning into weight gain. No jaundice or dehydration?

Is he waking to eat or do you have to wake him?

If everything seems ok except the weight gain, I would be ok waiting for Monday but if you feel he's just not behaving like a newborn should then I would push to see someone before that. The ER isn't going to be able to do much other than put him on an IV. If you have a Children's Hospital ER near you they would be the people you want!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you pumping or using commercial formula? If you're supplementing with formula, I would try doing a homemade formula from raw milk (cow or goat) or cultured milk. WAPF also has a recipe for a broth-based formula. I would be worried if I were you also, especially if his belly seems swollen. Did he get antibiotics at birth, or did you get them during labor?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

No abx, but I did have fluids...just 1 bag though.

He has been on WAPF goat milk formula...and consuming a quart a day. We actually have switched him to Similac to make sure it isn't a formula problem.

He does wake to eat and wants to eat frequently...he is hungry and fussy...no significant spit up though.

I have had slow gainers before...but this guy is still loosing weight. A quarter lb in the last 4 days

In any case, they called and wanted to schedule me Tuesday. I very strongly expressed my concern and they got me in Monday AM....a bit irked though because they didn't get the paperwork processed until 3PM and then of course had no more openings to see me.

I guess part of my concern is that my Family Practice Drs nurses seemed quite worried and we have a long and very good relationship. Their obvious concern and wanting him to be seen ASAP really got to me.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does he have too many messy diapers? Could a food sensitivity be causing malabsorption? Does he have a diaper rash?

I hope you figure it out mama!
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote