Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Recommend a breastpump?

Know nothing about pumps. Nothing.

DS1 had major latch issues and it resulted in failed BFing. LCs could not even establish it. I leaked a lot so I'm assuming I was producing milk.

I want a BP this time just in case.

I know I want one that does the work on it's own, not a manual. I don't care about price. Easy to use and clean is all that matters to me!

I think I want a double, right? Any reason not to pump both at once? I am a SAHM so there won't be any issues w/pumping at work, etc.

Is there a pumping for dummies thread?!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Recommend a breastpump?

Midela PISA (pump in style something) was a life saver for me with my first, I loved it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Stamina
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi mama! I have used several pumps, manual and electric, single and double over the course of nursing my 3 little ones . It does depend on how often you will need to use it but if you're sure you want a electric, I would go with a double electric. For me, I pump more milk substantially faster with the double because both breasts let down at the same time. When I used a single electric, I would let down when pumping the first breast and would rarely let down again with the second breast. So emptying the second breast took a lot longer.

Here are my favorite pump recommendations:
Double Electric - Medela Pump In Style (I also have the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra - it doesn't work as well for me and I had to have my motor replaced twice in six months)

Single Electric - Avent Isis IQ UNO. It has a "let-down" cushion that worked well for me and expressed milk from behind the areolar area well. You can also set the exact pumping rhythm you want.

Manual - Avent Isis Manual. It also has the let-down cushion and I was able to pump more milk with it faster than with the Medela Harmony.

I feel like Medela pumps are easiest to clean.

Hope this helps a bit . Good luck!
Stamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Meghann31
Registered Users

I have an electric lansinoh pump that works pretty well.
Meghann31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Cutebabybutts
Registered Users

My Mood:

I went through quite a few pumps the first time around and found that the Medela Pump in Style Advance double pump was the best. I used it for almost 2 years with my first baby and now I am still using the same pump with my second. It's held up great.
Cutebabybutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Medela Pump In Style Advance is awesome!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

I just started pumping myself and did a lot of research b/c I will be going back to and need to pump FAST. A double pump, electric will get the job done quick. Got a new-in-box Medela metro bag style pump on Ebay cheap and like it a lot. Read a ton of reviews by googling "best breast pump" b/c I didn't know about this website at that point.
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
jemanly02
Registered Users

I have the double electric Avent pump, and love it! I love that the controls are up by where your hands are, instead of having to fumble to change setting on the pump itself. The main reason I chose this one is because it is a closed-system pump. Milk cannot back up into the tubes or motor and cause mold.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry to barge into the thread, but, I have it down to Medea freestyle or PISA. which would you say is better as far as being more efficient at getting the milk out. I had to EP for three months with my DS before he could latch. I am praying it won't go that way again, but I'm going to be armed with the best pump, just in case!!!
AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pumped for 5 months with a hospital grade Medela (symphony) one and then I went to the PISA and I am telling you, it was stronger! It actually took me by surprise the first time I used it. I should point out that I went to take my rental back one day and picked up the Pump In Style Advanced so I really did feel the difference right away. I told the lactation person at the hospital that you shouldn't feel like your settling when you purchase a pump. I actually think I was settling when I was using the hospital pump!