Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
kiwibirdi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Fuzzibunz leaking - fit issue?

We had the same issue with Fuzzibunz OS. No matter what elastic setting they always leaked until he was about 14 lbs and a little chunky in the thighs. (Disappointing, because a lot of people say their babies outgrew Fuzzibunz OS by about 22-25 lbs.) They still leak when we use the minky inserts by themselves, so I usually use a cotton insert with the minky under it. I think minky absorbs more slowly than some other fabrics, and it seems like boys pee faster than girls- everyone I know who uses Fuzzibunz on girls have no problem with minky, but the boys all do. With 2 inserts they do ok, but I'm getting ready to make some bamboo and hemp inserts to try because they hold more moisture and do not cause as many compression leaks (from what I've read.) Also, especially with the tighter elastic settings, the liner tended to peek out a bit in the legs, causing leaks. I found that a slightly looser leg elastic setting and rolling the PUL inward when putting the diaper on helps a lot.

Hopefully this helps

Advertisement

kiwibirdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #12
One Acre Wonder Farm
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirdi
We had the same issue with Fuzzibunz OS. No matter what elastic setting they always leaked until he was about 14 lbs and a little chunky in the thighs.
Our last baby was a 10 lb newborn so we went straight to one size dipes. The FB always leaked at the leg no matter what I tried until her thighs started to chub up. I took a break from them (we only had 3 at the time) and tried them again when she was older and they were fine. We are still using them at 16mos, 28 lbs
One Acre Wonder Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Acre Wonder Farm View Post
Our last baby was a 10 lb newborn so we went straight to one size dipes. The FB always leaked at the leg no matter what I tried until her thighs started to chub up. I took a break from them (we only had 3 at the time) and tried them again when she was older and they were fine. We are still using them at 16mos, 28 lbs
When did they start working for you? Age/weight? I'm going to try tightening the waist like pp suggested, but I'm getting frustrated. I might decide to sell them soon and buy something easier!
ss456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirdi View Post
We had the same issue with Fuzzibunz OS. No matter what elastic setting they always leaked until he was about 14 lbs and a little chunky in the thighs. (Disappointing, because a lot of people say their babies outgrew Fuzzibunz OS by about 22-25 lbs.) They still leak when we use the minky inserts by themselves, so I usually use a cotton insert with the minky under it. I think minky absorbs more slowly than some other fabrics, and it seems like boys pee faster than girls- everyone I know who uses Fuzzibunz on girls have no problem with minky, but the boys all do. With 2 inserts they do ok, but I'm getting ready to make some bamboo and hemp inserts to try because they hold more moisture and do not cause as many compression leaks (from what I've read.) Also, especially with the tighter elastic settings, the liner tended to peek out a bit in the legs, causing leaks. I found that a slightly looser leg elastic setting and rolling the PUL inward when putting the diaper on helps a lot.

Hopefully this helps
Thanks! I'll try different inserts and try rolling the PUL in.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
One Acre Wonder Farm
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss456

When did they start working for you? Age/weight? I'm going to try tightening the waist like pp suggested, but I'm getting frustrated. I might decide to sell them soon and buy something easier!
I'm not exactly sure. I was never a fan of their MF inserts, so when we did start using them again I started stuffing them with padfolded Osocozy flats. I think that helped as well.
One Acre Wonder Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
It makes it possible to wrap the fabric more tightly around the baby and get a better leg seal without shortening the rise and causing compression leaks.

I haven't personally had the issue, but I was a cloth diaper consultant for years and helped fit these diapers (FBOS and FB Elite) on many babies whose parents thought they just weren't going to be able to fit.

I also blogged about this at www.elemeno-pee.blogspot.com -- search "why adjustable leg elastic sets the rise." Lots of pictures to help illustrate why it works.

Edit: here's the link for you http://www.elemeno-pee.blogspot.com/...ic-or.html?m=1
Thanks for your link. The pictures on your creepy doll were definitely helpful! The Fuzzibunz settings I have tried make it look just like your picture with the bunched leg elastic and gaps. I will try letting out the leg elastic and tightening the waist. Crossing my fingers this works!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss456
Thanks for your link. The pictures on your creepy doll were definitely helpful! The Fuzzibunz settings I have tried make it look just like your picture with the bunched leg elastic and gaps. I will try letting out the leg elastic and tightening the waist. Crossing my fingers this works!
Oh, good! I hope that does the trick!!
March is offline   Reply With Quote