Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am mad. I am hurt. Lip tie....

I just wanted to say OP also that your feelings are very common. THere are a large amount of babies who are never diagnosed with this and miss out on a low-stress infancy due to tongue and lip ties. My midwife realized after I showed her Micah's LT that ALL of her 4 children have ties, and 2 of them were symptomatic where they were colicky, woke up constantly at night, and had gas and intestinal upset. These are classic problems with lip and tongue ties, and she's so frustrated that it took 10 years to learn why. She said that she feels like she missed out on years of sleep that probably had to do with the ties.
Now she checks all babies being born with her practice ,and says that 1 in 4 babies seems to have a LT or TT< or both, which is much higher than the current studies would have us believe. I think that it's a lot more common than doctors or even LC's think.
Ties tend to become more severe with each child, and some people think that it's linked to nutritional deficiences and genetic tendency. Also, just in talking on the Facebook page, babies with TT/LT seem to have a higher incidence of other "midline" defects, like heart murmurs/defects, cleft palate, and sacral dimples, just to name a few.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am mad. I am hurt. Lip tie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
There is nobody in my area who will fix it. Except for one doctor and I have not heard good things about her.
ETA: The tearing on its own is no big deal.
I think it may depend on the severity. My son's was all of the way to his palate, and thick.