Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes, they both look like ties. But don't fret mama, it's a VERY simple thing to correct.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Personally I don't think lip or tongue tie is something to worry about unless you are having difficulties nursing. And honestly I think it is pretty normal, I had "lip tie" and it wasn't an issue with nursing or speech development. It became an issue when I had braces & after the gap between my teeth was closed I had a frenectomy done by an oral surgeon. I was 14/15 at the time.

I looked it up, bc I don't understand what the big deal is. Everyone has those muscles- for some people they are extended & cause issues but for most it does not. This article explains it well.

http://www.oralanswers.com/2010/02/w...ight-need-one/

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews
Personally I don't think lip or tongue tie is something to worry about unless you are having difficulties nursing. And honestly I think it is pretty normal, I had "lip tie" and it wasn't an issue with nursing or speech development. It became an issue when I had braces & after the gap between my teeth was closed I had a frenectomy done by an oral surgeon. I was 14/15 at the time.

I looked it up, bc I don't understand what the big deal is. Everyone has those muscles- for some people they are extended & cause issues but for most it does not. This article explains it well.

I'm not super concerned about my 1 year old's and my 2 year old busted hers by falling, but I do get concerned about the gap because I never required braces. I'd hate for my kids to have straight teeth but have to get braces for the gap that I could have prevented. That's what keeps the war raging inside me on if I should bother getting my youngest's clipped.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSews

I wouldn't care too much if it was purely cosmetic but I'm really wondering if its the reason behind ds1 speech issues. He is high level but he has issues with pronouncing some sounds. Is there a way to tell if lip/tongue tie are the reason?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana

I wouldn't care too much if it was purely cosmetic but I'm really wondering if its the reason behind ds1 speech issues. He is high level but he has issues with pronouncing some sounds. Is there a way to tell if lip/tongue tie are the reason?
I would think that a speech pathologist or an early intervention evaluation would be able to tell if lip/tongue tie is the cause of speech concerns.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
77Lipen
Registered Users

In my friends case they thought it could have been why he had troubles with pronunciation. She moved shortly after it was corrected so I don't know if he's speech changed at all.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is this lip tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
this isn't really a " " matter for me...
Yes, he nursed for 2 years. Never once took a bottle- only breast.
I wasn't giggling about the fact they have ties. I was trying to convey that I was joking by saying the Batman part. Sorry if i offended. My DD has lip and tongue tie and we've struggled terribly with breastfeeding.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this lip tie?

It is simple to correct and if you have insurance I'd see about having it done since it can be connected to speech issues. It's a quick easy procedure. All 5 of mine have it and its hereditary so most likely any kids you have will have it too- simpiler to have it done when they are born.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell
It is simple to correct and if you have insurance I'd see about having it done since it can be connected to speech issues. It's a quick easy procedure. All 5 of mine have it and its hereditary so most likely any kids you have will have it too- simpiler to have it done when they are born.
I so wish I had known about it at birth. Seems it would be much less stressful having it done then. I've got 3 kiddos and my middle child doesn't have any issues with this thankfully!
I will for sure be calling around tomorrow to get them seen by someone!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone

I wasn't giggling about the fact they have ties. I was trying to convey that I was joking by saying the Batman part. Sorry if i offended. My DD has lip and tongue tie and we've struggled terribly with breastfeeding.
Oh ok. Ya, no issues nursing ds1 an no issues so far with ds3 and his seems to be even worse.
Eta: can issues nursing arise at any time due to this?

Last edited by jes750; 02-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.
jes750 is offline   Reply With Quote