Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Treating Hypothyroidism w/o medicine

So, I've been diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism and my dr. has prescribed medication to treat it. I should have asked but didn't really think about it till afterwards...but I hate the idea of having to take medicine everyday. I am wondering if there are any supplements, other natural ways to help w/ this.

Advertisement

3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats
So, I've been diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism and my dr. has prescribed medication to treat it. I should have asked but didn't really think about it till afterwards...but I hate the idea of having to take medicine everyday. I am wondering if there are any supplements, other natural ways to help w/ this.
I don't know. I have read there are a lot of things to help manage it.

I to wanted a natural way to manage it. I am on the smallest dose of the medication. It has been the best thing for me. I honestly have made it part of my morning routine. The changes the pills made for me were huge. I don't know exactly why your dr prescribed, but don't rule it out. I take it as soon as I get up that gives me wake up time then it's a normal day complete with coffee.

I do stay clear of whole wheat, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and the like as they all have something in them that are hard for us with hypothyroid to process.

I know there are some great books out about health and hypothyroid. I did research on line. The bottom line that it took from trying to manage it with out medication is that it doesn't work well. Again that was what I read.

I hope my rambling helps. I had so wish someone had chimed in in your question. Much hugs.
~E
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Treating Hypothyroidism w/o medicine

there is a great facebook group for thyroid (I have "autoimmune thyroid") and it's an amazing group:
Hashimoto's 411
HTH!!
maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
You need to take the medicine. Basically, your body is not making enough of a very essential hormone and the medicine replaces that. Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a host of issues and it is not really something you want to mess around with.

Now, there are natural ways to try to get your thyroid working again. Things like eating gluten free and taking selenium supplements. But in the meantime it is very very important that you replace the vital thyroid hormone your body needs (and is currently lacking) with medication. If your doctor prescribed a synthetic form (synthroid or levythyroxine) and you want something more natural, there is dessicated thyroid (usually made from pig thyroid) such as Armour or Nature-throid.

I would highly suggesting doing some research on the matter. There are definitely ways to get your thyroid functioning as best as it can but going unmediated at this moment in time is not the way. Taking the medicine will reduce the strain on your thyroid gland so that whatever natural/holistic methods you do try have a better chance at being effective. And maybe at some point you will be able to wean off the meds. (Although, depending on the cause of the hypothyroidism you might be looking at a chronic issue, which is something to be aware of.)

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
fii
Registered Users
seller

Why not try the natural remedies suggested in combination with the medicine and then go back after a month and get your levels tested again and talk to your doctor about decreasing or stopping the medicine.
fii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

any additional info on this? I am on thyro sense and i have so much more energy already but we may try armour for my husband
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Dragon Companion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very few people are successful going without medicine. However, Armour is at least derived from a natural source. I find it works better for me than synthroid or the like.
Dragon Companion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
You need to take the medicine. Basically, your body is not making enough of a very essential hormone and the medicine replaces that. Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a host of issues and it is not really something you want to mess around with.

Now, there are natural ways to try to get your thyroid working again. Things like eating gluten free and taking selenium supplements. But in the meantime it is very very important that you replace the vital thyroid hormone your body needs (and is currently lacking) with medication. If your doctor prescribed a synthetic form (synthroid or levythyroxine) and you want something more natural, there is dessicated thyroid (usually made from pig thyroid) such as Armour or Nature-throid.

I would highly suggesting doing some research on the matter. There are definitely ways to get your thyroid functioning as best as it can but going unmediated at this moment in time is not the way. Taking the medicine will reduce the strain on your thyroid gland so that whatever natural/holistic methods you do try have a better chance at being effective. And maybe at some point you will be able to wean off the meds. (Although, depending on the cause of the hypothyroidism you might be looking at a chronic issue, which is something to be aware of.)

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
this exactly. if you're on synthetic, ask for NDT.

join the group Stop The Thyroid Madness on FB. It is awesome.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote