Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
nestra
Registered Users

Question extended nursers

How often is you year old (or older) nursing? We aren't there yet and I was wondering what to expect. When does food take a more dominant role in nutrition? We are baby led weaning so his food intake (at nine months) is pretty minimal.

Advertisement

nestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds is 13 M on Wed & he nurses 3-4 times per day. He still nurses a bit at night too, but it's more of a comfort thing (never used a binky & that's how he falls back asleep). We are working on night weaning so we can get a bit more sleep . My son never ate much at 9M & he absolutely refused baby food (we had to steam & chop foods). He does well with a variety of foods now though.
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 3.5 and nurses 4-5 times a day give or take. Food is definitely his main source though, he eats like an adult!!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
12 months old and nurses 6-7 times per day. She still wakes twice to nurse at night.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Question extended nursers

Lots of moms notcie at about a year babies get into a newborn-nursing pattern again for a while -- it's totally normal and they move out of it soon. Just something to be aware of as it can feel like a huge step back.

For my extended nurses, I noticed when I sat down or we were at home, the nursed more; if we were out and about, they wouldn't really even think about nursing.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
nestra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Lots of moms notcie at about a year babies get into a newborn-nursing pattern again for a while -- it's totally normal and they move out of it soon. Just something to be aware of as it can feel like a huge step back.

For my extended nurses, I noticed when I sat down or we were at home, the nursed more; if we were out and about, they wouldn't really even think about nursing.
Is there any theory as to why this is?
nestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
foundrychick
Registered Users

My Mood:

Son is 15 mos. if I'm around, he asks to nurse. I nurse alot when we are home, it seems...and he is nursing all night again it seems. I'm getting ready to night wean. Mama is tired and also I new to be able to I potty!!! We are still cosleeping, too.
foundrychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestra View Post
Is there any theory as to why this is?
I am not sure, it's just what I hear from a lot with moms who are still nursing at a year. Oftentimes moms make it through the first year without much support because it is more "normal." Then when a year hits, they are getting a lot of pressure to wean, so they seek out support for extended nursing. That's when I hear them talk about temporary newborn nursing habits.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

At a year my daughter was nursing about every 3 hours through the day. Every 4 hours during the night. So at bed time, once during the night and in the morning. My boys have nursed the most. My older son had difficulties swallowing. He would often gag and vomit trying to eat solids. He typically nursed about 12+times a day until around 2 1/2-3 years of age. My youngest is now 20 months old. He nurses more frequently at home than when out and about. At home it is hourly. Out and about it is every 3 hours. He will make up for it though. When we get home he will nurse for an extended period of time. At night be nurses every 2-2 1/2 hours.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD2 loved food. She ate well. Nursed 3 times during the day and irregularly at night at 1 year.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote