Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: DTaP vaccine ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Pertussis vaccine is not very effective, something like 90% of all whooping cough cases are fully vaxed. .
I've been trying to find this statistic because it's bothering me. All I could find was that in Vermont, 90% of cases in children under the age of 18 were in children who were 'vaccinated' defined as having 'at least one dose' of the vaccine (meaning not all children had completed the series), I believe the article was at least a year old... does anyone have a better source on this??

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
mollym
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got the TDaP vaccine while pregnant because I'm concerned about the recent uptick in whooping cough cases in our area. I was concerned about contracting it and passing it to the baby after he was born. (Mothers with whooping cough are responsible for passing it on to their kids in something like 30-40% of all whooping cough cases in babies.)

My family follows the CDC recommendations for vaccines.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm
mollym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
shay3419
Registered Users

I wasn't comfortable getting it while I was pregnant, or now while I'm breastfeeding since vaccines aren't tested on pregnant women.

I did encourage my husband (who is a social worker and works with individuals who are homeless) to get it.
shay3419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

I’m planning on getting it because my husband works in a pulmonologists office, and they’ve had a lot of patients coming in with “unexplained coughs” over the passed several months. I’m also trying to get him to get it because that is one illness I don’t want the baby to get. FYI I am very wary of the whole vaccine thing, but with me having asthma and several family members having it, it makes sense in our case.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
birdinhand
Registered Users

Dr. Bob Sears had some interesting stuff to say about the CDCs new recommendations for Tdap: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...16317855073374
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
NYEMom1231
Registered Users
seller

I got it right before discharge, so 2 days after delivery. They never mentioned it during my prenatal care.
NYEMom1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
bananaclip
Registered Users
seller

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemio...%20Vaccine.pdf

Tdap is a class C drug. It is not known if it is harmful to an unborn baby, it has never been studied. Pregnant women were excluded from the safety studies. Doctors rely on epidemiological assumptions of safety regarding the recommendation pregnant women be vaccinated.

I have taken 3 epi courses in grad school, and I do not trust most epi studies *especially* when there is a drug company trying to sell more of a product based on the results of an epi study. Money talks, loud, and truth whispers.

Last edited by bananaclip; 03-04-2013 at 09:18 PM.
bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Dr. Bob Sears had some interesting stuff to say about the CDCs new recommendations for Tdap: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...16317855073374
"The Tdap's effectiveness decreases significantly after 1 year. So women will need a fresh dose with each pregnancy."

Wow! I don't think docs are sharing this info. so you would need a new vac every year and it only comes in the combo. yikes.

Also, of course there are no studies on the safety of this on prego women as it is unethical to do so but that is basically what they are doing. Free research.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Vaccination is a fierce and nasty debate. After my son was born the hospital's nurses tried to force my husband and I to get the dTap shot. I refused it on the grounds that my husband and I had up to date tetanus shots. But this shot has whooping cough in it came the reply. I told the lady I didn't care if it had whooping cough in it. I had studied the numbers of people who get whooping cough in the USA every year and found the need for the vaccine lacking. She acted like I was killing my baby by not getting the shot. A few months after my son was born stories came out about people getting whooping cough from the vaccines themselves. Long story short educate yourself with the facts. Also as a nurse I say don't take any vaccinations during pregnancy. There is a question as to whether or not vaccinations harm children who are several months to a year old. I can't even imagine what vaccinations do to a fragile fetus. Another thing to consider is doctors really discourage pregnant women from taking medications unless they absolutely have to so why are they insisting on a vaccination that doesn't have studies on how it effects the unborn fetus?
4ShoreRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaclip View Post
http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemio...%20Vaccine.pdf

Tdap is a class C drug. It is not known if it is harmful to an unborn baby, it has never been studied. Pregnant women were excluded from the safety studies. Doctors rely on epidemiological assumptions of safety regarding the recommendation pregnant women be vaccinated.

I have taken 3 epi courses in grad school, and I do not trust most epi studies *especially* when there is a drug company trying to sell more of a product based on the results of an epi study. Money talks, loud, and truth whispers.
Totally agree. Drug companies sell drugs and make drugs under the pretense that they care. In reality they sell and make drugs to make money. They also rush the FDA to approve their drugs based on studies on animals and rush the FDA to black label a drug only after they have been sued multiple times so they can stop more lawsuits.
4ShoreRN is online now   Reply With Quote