Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
need easy GF dessert/nice snack recipe

I'm hosting my ladies Bible study tomorrow night and one of them is GF. I need to make a dessert or nice snack that everyone can eat. I don't want to buy specialized GF flours (almond flour, etc). Easy and fairly quick to make would be a bonus. Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: need easy GF dessert/nice snack recipe

I have heard great things about this site! http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

Hope it helps.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Betty Crocker makes mixes that taste like the real deal. Buy one and make that. The brownies and chocolate cake are a favorite in my house.

Fruit salad is alway good as well...but you can't beat less that $5 for a brownie mix that is delish!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Just keep in mind, to make things gluten free, you can't use the same baking pans as you normally use for gluten things...or even the same bowls or utensils. Gluten contaminates everything and it doesn't wash out.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ&E
Just keep in mind, to make things gluten free, you can't use the same baking pans as you normally use for gluten things...or even the same bowls or utensils. Gluten contaminates everything and it doesn't wash out.
Where did you get this info?

My husband is celiac and I don't have separate things. He is completely healthy again. My MiL who gets poisoned constantly never gets sick from eating at my house. I am overly cautious.

If you are worried, buy a foil tin and bake in that. It should be fine.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My friend is not that sensitive fortunately!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

knodceo - some people are that sensitive. I have relatives who have to have separate butters, jams, etc because one little crumb will send him to the hospital.
How about chocolate covered strawberries? Super easy... you could even just call it fondue (maybe get some GF marshmallows or cookies too) and make everyone dip their own.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
serenas_song
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone- I went with the brownie mix. Will frost it too
Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

for next time- chocolate or peanut butter fudge- the recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff jar.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
Where did you get this info?

My husband is celiac and I don't have separate things. He is completely healthy again. My MiL who gets poisoned constantly never gets sick from eating at my house. I am overly cautious.

If you are worried, buy a foil tin and bake in that. It should be fine.
It really does depend on the person's sensitivity, I think. I've seen some sites that say to replace everything (pots/pans, wooden or plastic utensiles and bowls/plates, etc.) and others say that a thorough cleaning is sufficient. Our son's GI says gluten does not come out/off completely when just washed, the equipment (for lack of better word) has to go through an acid something or another wash to be considered gluten free.

We err on the side of caution and do not cook anything with gluten in the house. All meals are gluten free. We do buy a few convenience foods every now and then (like bread or chips or cereal), but nothing that needs to be cooked or prepared in any way. We tossed out scratched pans but did NOT replace everything. We just washed everything really well and ran it through the dishwasher and hoped that would be enough. I will say our guy had some seemingly random reactions for a while and I think it was probably due to some leftover traces of gluten on our stuff.

Here's a few links:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/co...contaminat.htm

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/se...e-Utensils.htm

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/se...The-Gluten.htm