Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Question on Radian Latch Limit and Seatbelt....

I have Radian XTSL. My kids are 40 lbs and 35 lbs, both FFing with LATCH install. Am I still ok to use this or do I need to use the seatbelts now? I know the new guidelines.

I drive a Nissan Quest 2011. I did not see anything in the manual about the LATCH weight limit that they recommend.

Second, I realized that the seatbelt on the passenger outboard side is twisted! There is NO way for me to straighten it out as the path that the belt goes through on the buckle is not wide enough for me to twist the belt through it. Otherwise I could fix it. Assuming this is definitely a no no, and needs fixing. Not sure what that entails with the dealership. Ugh.

Thanks!

Advertisement

momto2es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question on Radian Latch Limit and Seatbelt....

Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
According to the new guidelines, your vehicle make defaults to the child restraint LATCH limit. If that is not clear, I would default to the lower limit of 40 pounds to be safe. Since your kids are 40 and 35 pounds, I would install with a seatbelt use and top tether. You can't go wrong with that.

Eta: suggestion for twisting the belt... Slide the buckle out of the way and fold the belt making a VERY wide angle. This keeps the fold gradual instead if abrupt (and stopping the buckle from being blocked) and I've found the buckle slot accepts it better. Ive had a few crazy twists appear from time to time. That aways takes care of it.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 02-11-2013 at 04:39 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question on Radian Latch Limit and Seatbelt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
According to the new guidelines, your vehicle make defaults to the child restraint LATCH limit. If that is not clear, I would default to the lower limit of 40 pounds to be safe. Since your kids are 40 and 35 pounds, I would install with a seatbelt use and top tether. You can't go wrong with that.

Eta: suggestion for twisting the belt... Slide the buckle out of the way and fold the belt making a VERY wide angle. This keeps the fold gradual instead if abrupt (and stopping the buckle from being blocked) and I've found the buckle slot accepts it better. Ive had a few crazy twists appear from time to time. That aways takes care of it.
Thanks. I tried to untwist the seatbelt myself previously, but one slot of it is not much wider than the belt itself, and literally impossible to get it to even twist over itself. The top space I can, but not the bottom.

Here is a pic I found online to show what I mean (it's the lower portion I can not feed through as the slot is too thin). http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/up...us-install.jpg
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I see what you mean. That looks terrible!! Id take it in and have the dealership try.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote