Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS isn't getting math

My daughter focuses best with M and Ms...and then she gets to eat them. While i hate all the candy, it gets her to do her work.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccserrano View Post
Try local colleges. If they have an education program, they may have to do "hours" in different settings. I did for my degree. It's worth a shot.

Try using something your ds likes. M and m s, skittles, pretzles, Orange slices, grapes, etc. The tangible combined with the edible sometimes helps get over that math hurdle. If I have 1 m&m and you eat it, how many are left?

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
My daughter focuses best with M and Ms...and then she gets to eat them. While i hate all the candy, it gets her to do her work.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. I spoke with a friend, who is a therapist and works with autistic children, last night. We discussed modifying his IEP and I'm going to request ONLY addition problems until he can master them and then introducing subtraction.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, the number zero is actually a very abstract concept. In fact, historically it came along centuries after the other numbers. I'd stick with tangibles. No 1-1. Rather, try 3-1. If he counts well, let him do the taking away. Put the items that he has taken away into a pile that is still visible. That way he may be able to make the connection that adding and subtracting are related.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try looking into discalculia, it's a math learning disability. It may be too early to diagnose him (i have no idea) but it's worth looking into it. I have it. For me, if you ask what's 2+6 that's like asking me what is &+€. The only math i know is completely memorized formulas, i can't actually add/subtract etc. numbers together. I'm 28 years old and i when i want to do 5-7 i have to count it on my fingers. Some other signs are difficulty with facial recognition, trouble telling time and trouble telling left from right. I've 'grown out' of those other signs, though i still have poor facial recognition and it takes me a bit longer to tell time on on analog clock (or when people tell me it's half past 9 or quarter after). On another note, even though i went undisgnosed until recently, i did go to university and have good work opportunities.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #15
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just thought I'd update a little. SIL in an OT and ABA therapist and she suggested TouchMath (she uses this method with all her kids she works with). I introduced it to DS last night (number 1-5) and this morning he whipped right through a math sheet where I printed problems and added the touch points on the numbers. Then he did a few problems on his ipad (without the touch points) by just knowing where the points were and counting them! I'm so excited. I hope this is what will help him figure math out.
We're doing addition with numbers 1-5 for this week and then I'll introduce the numbers 6-9 this weekend.
I bought a program that is a worksheet generator that prints with the dots so I'll be printing worksheets for him and for his teachers to use with him in class.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

That's great! It's funny how different things make it click for different kids!

DS's 1st grade uses the dots, and I personally just find them confusing. But it seems to work well. The kids in his class work individually through sums to 10 with dots, then sums to 10 without dots, sums to 20 with dots, and sums to 20 without dots before starting subtraction. (Whenever a kid passes one level, he moves up to the next level.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try playing dominoes with the white dominoes and the colored dots. Buy only the numbers up to 12. Teach him fun ways to understand amounts and then work on numbers, then work on math.

Count pennies, and play games with pennies. Then have him give you some of his pennies for "stuff". "I'll sell you this car for nine pennies... thank you... now how many pennies do you have left?"

I do love touch math. I learned it in the 70s, and still use it. It's second nature now.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 02-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote