Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #121
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Homemade Thread

Homemade cinnamon and sugar crackers- AKA cinnamon toast crunch

SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #122
Registered Users

Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Homemade cinnamon and sugar crackers- AKA cinnamon toast crunch
I hate rolling dough but I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch so much that I think I'm actually going to make this!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #123
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'll add something I make every week - mineral broth!

Yup, save in the fridge all your cut ends of carrots, celery, onion skins, potato peels, zuchinni - just nothing like tomatos or cucumber, just harder veggies. At the end of the week I throw it all in a big pot, cover with water, add a few glugs of apple cider vinegar - let cook on really low overnight. The next morning - a rich broth! I sometimes add in some kombu seaweed to really bulk up the minerals.

You can also use stock bones to get a great broth for bone health.

The broth makes any soup, stew or sauce way yummier and richer. You can also use it when cooking grains instead of water for tastier grains. We use it to saute veggies as well.
tandiwe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #124
Registered Users
I realize this hasn't been updated in a while but when I make homemade spreadable butter I put some cold heavy cream, salt, and a marble (yes marble) in a glass jar. Then shake for a few minutes until it gets to the consistency you want it's a great way for kids to help out! I have heard of it being used in classrooms to keep fidgety kids busy. my very hyper son enjoys it!
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #125
Registered Users

We are sooo going to be making butter! We go through so much!
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #126
Registered Users

I found a recipe in America's Test Kitchen that claims to be Ritzy. Recipe is long but reported to be worth it!

rich butter crackers
1-1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c cake flour
2-1/2 T sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 T vegetable shortening cut in 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
4 T unsalted butter cut in 1/4 inch pieces and chilled plus
4 T unsalted butter melted and cooled
1 large egg yolk plus 1 large egg lightly beaten
6-8 T ice water
Kosher salt

Process flours, sugar. salt and baking powder in food processor until combined 3-5 seconds. Scatter shortening over top and process until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal about 10 seconds. Sprinkle butter pieces over top and pulse until it looks like cornmeal about 8 pulses. continue to pulse adding egg yolk and then water 1 T at a time until the dough begins to form small curds that hold together when pinched with your fingers dough will be crumbly about 10 pulses.

Turn dough crumbs onto lightly floured counter. Gather crumbs into rectangular pile. Starting at farthest end, use heel of your hand to smear small amount of dougn (about the size of an egg) against counter and push it away from you, Continue to smear dough until all crumbs have been worked. and gather into rectangular pile and repeat process. Diving dough in half. Place each half on sheet of plastic wrap and form each into 4 inch disk. wrap each disk tightly and refrigerate for one hour.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 rimmed cookie sheets with parchmennt. Roll one disk in to 1/2 inch thick circle (about 12 inch diameter) on lightly floured counter. Using 2 inch scalloped biscuit cutter cut dough into rounds and space about 1/2 inch apart on parchment lined pan. Gently reroll scraps 1/2 inch thick cut as above and place on sheet. Repeat with other disk.

Using back end of skewer poke 7 holes in each cracker. Brush top of each cracker with beaten egg. Bake one sheet at a time until deep golden brown 10-12 minutes rotating half way through.

Brush 2 coats of melted butter ofer hot crackers immediately after removing from oven then sprinkle with kosher salt. Let cool completely before serving. Will keep airtight for 1 week
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #127
Registered Users

This is great! Thank you for these. I've become more and more cautious of what we eat and this will really help a lot in the kitchen =)
cakeladykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #128
Registered Users

This is great, making butter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jwallis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #129
Registered Users
Formerly: Desert_Rose

I'll have to add my recipes!! Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using
elienai is offline   Reply With Quote