Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me decide on a new seat

My son is in need of a new carseat. He's about 38 lbs, and close to 40". His seated shoulder height is 15.5", so he's about to outgrow his Britax Boulevard for that reason (and baby sister is ready to use it anyway ). I was thinking of getting a Radian r100, but I've been reading reviews that said it makes a lousy hbb when we are ready for that (I plan to keep him harnessed for as long as possible). Considering his height, the Britax Fronteir 85 also looks like a good choice. Any opinions? Thanks! I found the I found the Frontier for $209 on Amazon. Does that seem like the best price?

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me decide on a new seat

I assume he's FF?
If so, I'd skip the convertibles - you are right, none of them make a great booster - and go with a combination seat (FF harnessed + booster), like the Frontier you've looked at.

I'm not terribly much help with any suggestions. It's been a while since we needed those seats, and a lot has come out new since we had ours!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

How old is your DS? DD was less than 3 when she hit the 35# rfing limit in my car, flipped her around & she's just about at the harness height limit FFing. We left her RFing a bit longer in DP's car, but she was just about at the height limit there, too. Since she was still shy of 3 & not nearly ready for a hbb yet, we did get a Frontier 85 for DP's car, which is where DD spends most of her car time. It should keep her harnessed for several years yet. I think I'm going to head out tomorrow to grab a Harmony Defender. It has a lower harness height, but it's affordable, and by the time she outgrows the harness, she'll be old enough to use the belt positioner for the couple of blocks to & from daycare that she rides in my car (all the other errands & such are in DP's car).

ETA: The Frontier is lovely, easy to install & use, comfy for DD, has a long life. It's great. I'd buy another if it didn't kill me to spend $200+ on a seat she rides in for 4 blocks a day at most, & then only in bad weather when I can't walk her.

Last edited by carriek38; 02-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I'd definitely go with a frontier if he is younger than 4 years old. But if he's 4 or older, then there are lots of other seats that could also be good for him.

$209 sounds like a pretty good price, and the best you are likely to find aside from clearance prices, pricing errors, etc. Occasionally Amazon has them for $195-ish, but saving $15 is probably not worth stalking Amazon.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes, he's FF now. He's only 2, but he's almost the same size as my 3.5 yo. Ha! He's a brute of a kid, and almost all torso. Thanks for the opinions. It's nice to know I'm on the right track. I'll have to check out the Defender too. The Frontier seems like it will last him until he's ready for just a seatbelt (in a good many years!). Is a HBB safer/better than a no-back booster when they're at that stage? (As in, should I get an expensive seat that will last till he's done with it, or get a cheaper one and a cheap booster when he's outgrown the seat?) I do like the idea of having him harnessed for a long time yet, though. Decisions, decisions!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
LittleLifeSize
Registered Users
Formerly: ****lberkeley
seller

This was a hard decision for me also. We went with a Frontier85... after much review, it has the highest 5pt harness options. As in there is more life in the Frontier85 for 5pt then even the Radians. So to extend the 5pt lifetime of our 5.5yr old nephew, we went with the F85. I love it, and I love that its easy to change the slot height. We bought it when nephew was 5, 40lbs and 15.5in sitting shoulder height. This should give us another year or 2 and then will convert to booster. It's also great since the seat lasts so long, that you really will get your bang for your buck.

The lowest price I have found is $189 before tax. I ended paying $206 on Amazon. The blue one is awesome by the way, ads a splash of color, easy to clean, and great for warm and cold weather.
LittleLifeSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLifeSize
This was a hard decision for me also. We went with a Frontier85... after much review, it has the highest 5pt harness options. As in there is more life in the Frontier85 for 5pt then even the Radians. So to extend the 5pt lifetime of our 5.5yr old nephew, we went with the F85. I love it, and I love that its easy to change the slot height. We bought it when nephew was 5, 40lbs and 15.5in sitting shoulder height. This should give us another year or 2 and then will convert to booster. It's also great since the seat lasts so long, that you really will get your bang for your buck.

The lowest price I have found is $189 before tax. I ended paying $206 on Amazon. The blue one is awesome by the way, ads a splash of color, easy to clean, and great for warm and cold weather.
Great feedback, thanks! I was wondering about the blue one.