Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
overwhelmed by PTing!-Update on Progress-input welcome!

This is silly, but we have only just introduced dd 1 to the potty (she's 21months) and she's interested in it, has peed and pood on it already-but not at all consistently. So i would like to take this opportunity to try and PT her. I'm just overwhelmed. i've never done this before and i'm trying to figure out how to start. From what i've read from other moms, it seems like going pants-less is one way to teach them, another is setting a timer for every 30-45 minutes and sitting them on the potty, and another is to just put them in undies until they realize they hate feeling wet and decide to start going on the potty. Please offer suggestions to this new to PTing mom. DD1 is very smart. she already speaks in sentences and understands everything we say. i know she can do this and so i want to have all the tools and resources to guide her. help please!!!!

UPDATE: I started her PTing Wednesday when i got home around 3. i just told her when she has to pee tell mommy and we'll sit on the potty. That night she went 3 times on the potty! She did poop once her diaper was put on though but for just the first time, i thought she did great. Thursday she did not want to potty when she woke up. but shortly after i took off her diaper. she went twice in the potty then one accident on the floor. We then went to my parents house and she did pee twice on the floor once we got there, but then i had a talk with her and she spent the rest of the day peeing on the potty. i'm assuming the new environment threw her off. SHe also had a pair of the gerber training pants on one of the times and peed in that and she didn't like it. she walked over to the potty and sat down. so then we got home-she pooped in her diaper before i could take it off, and she peed on the potty once and then had one accident on the floor. then i put her on the potty one more time before bed but she didn't go. when she woke up this morning, she did pee in her diaper, but it wasn't soaked like usual.

can someone who maybe has experience give me insight if we're doing good or if the accidents mean she's not quite ready. thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by nbert921; 02-15-2013 at 06:36 AM.
nbert921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: overwhelmed by PTing! (Rant!)

If she's ready I'd just put her in underwear and let her be. We started at 27 months with my oldest and I asked him to go constantly. It almost made him dependent on me to tell him when it was time to go. If I forgot to ask, he had accidents. They didn't really stop until he turned 4. We started a few weeks back when DS2 turned 3 and I only make him go potty after he eats. Otherwise it's up to him to tell us. He's already so much further along. DS1 wasn't able to even undress himself or put his clothes back on since he was barely 2. He was just too young. DS1 never had the drop-off of wet diapers or awareness of being soiled when we started. When we started DS2 was already asking us to go potty or coming to us after he had wet or soiled his pull-up. The second time around I realize for us going potty needs to be more independent rather than just something they are able to do when asked.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

All those methods failed with my oldest. Hopefully they work for you, but the only success we had training our EXTREMELY strong willed son was using the book Toilet Training in Less than One Day. It is very parent-led, we had tantrums and such, but he was diaper free in less than a week. My nephew was trained literally in four hours, and they had tried everything you mentioned with no success.

The ideal age for most kids is 21-23 months. The book will teach you how to teach your child to dress and undress themselves, clean up their messes, etc all at that age.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-12-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

I swear by Oh Crap Potty Training (which I learned about here). We started at 22 months with my DD, and it was SO much better than casual training we did with my son when he was 3. The author has a blog & call in show too. Basics: clear your calendar for a week, do 3+ days of naked time at home where you watch child closely, three weeks to a month of going commando, and by three weeks your child will self-initiate. We had a lot of defiance and drama but dont give up! It is not easy but it will come together and your LO is just the right age. Don't wait - 20-30 months is the best time! Now at 25 months, DD is doing great.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: overwhelmed by PTing!-Update on Progress-input welcome!

bump
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBaby View Post
I swear by Oh Crap Potty Training (which I learned about here). We started at 22 months with my DD, and it was SO much better than casual training we did with my son when he was 3. The author has a blog & call in show too. Basics: clear your calendar for a week, do 3+ days of naked time at home where you watch child closely, three weeks to a month of going commando, and by three weeks your child will self-initiate. We had a lot of defiance and drama but dont give up! It is not easy but it will come together and your LO is just the right age. Don't wait - 20-30 months is the best time! Now at 25 months, DD is doing great.
Same here! We started DS2 right before his 2nd birthday using OCPT and now he is dry during the day at 25 months. We still need to wake him up during the night, but half the time I'm up already to feed DS3 (6 months) so it's not a big deal. Ditch the diapers and she will learn a lot faster. Check out the OCPT book at www.jamieglowacki.com. Best $15 I've spent- saved me from buying more dipes and trainers!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote