Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, ours look like crap. Not a pretty solution, but still off the floor. And yeah, even those bins cost a pretty penny! I grabbed some seasonal ones on clearance one year, but they're like $6-$7 a piece!

Advertisement

I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

We actually use our bedroom too, cause no one see that but us. Maybe you a corner where you could stack bins? Or a closet?? I know it's tough when space is limited! Maybe you just need a locking storage cage for their bedroom.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Keeping rooms clean. I stink at this parenting gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnixon View Post
We actually use our bedroom too, cause no one see that but us. Maybe you a corner where you could stack bins? Or a closet?? I know it's tough when space is limited! Maybe you just need a locking storage cage for their bedroom.

I'm envisioning something like the Ikea storage thing... which I do have space for in my living room.... and I could put velcro, removable labels on all the bins... and they would pull the label off the bin the choose and put it somewhere on the contraption.... then put it back on the bin when they return it.

It seems like a great idea in my head.

I can see exactly what's "checked out" and so can the kids. Plus the bins are all labeled so they know just what goes into each one.

Hmmm.

I think those things are too much for me to afford right now, though. Booo for being poor!!!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Yeah that could work out... My kids would just dump all the bins while I was feeding a baby (cause the ikea ones just pull out I think) or cooking, but if your kids don't do that it could definitely be worth saving toward!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnixon
Yeah that could work out... My kids would just dump all the bins while I was feeding a baby (cause the ikea ones just pull out I think) or cooking, but if your kids don't do that it could definitely be worth saving toward!
We have bins and whatnot and DS already knows if he dumps it out, he picks it up. It's pretty effective if you are consistent with pickup after dumping.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

My strategy is not about organization - I think you got some great ideas for that, but rather for motivation.

I tell DS FIRST - we clean up (the faster the better). THEN, if we have time we do...(fill in the blank with something fun that they want to do), because by xx time, we HAVE to go/eat/whatever chore, thing you need to do. So that way they have time to clean, and if you want to do the fun thing, clean FAST (I am always willing to help - by which I mean mostly direct what they do, ie. put this here, there, etc). If it's not done before XX.00 time, too bad, no fun stuff and start doing whatever the next task was. If it is done on time, do the fun stuff, making sure you're all having fun. Maybe brainstorm fun things to do for next time...

Repeat ad nauseum.... Eventually they clean up faster because they know you mean business and they want to do the fun stuff sometimes
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
cookiebonster
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To help with the legos. I think there is a product called "lay n go" which is like a circle that they can play with their legos on and then you just pull the cord and it contains everything inside. I would totally buy this if my kids were big into legos.
cookiebonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiebonster
To help with the legos. I think there is a product called "lay n go" which is like a circle that they can play with their legos on and then you just pull the cord and it contains everything inside. I would totally buy this if my kids were big into legos.
That could work! And might work for other toys too, potato head, etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Toys are only kept in the playroom, any loose toys are put in the donate bin. We just have to pick up several times a day. Like every 2 hours we pick everything up. I randomly pop into the playroom and tell them to put away what ever is not being played with. The natural consequence to not picking your toys up quickly before a meal is that it is cold when you get to the table. On movie nights or game nights everything starts at a certain time, and if toys are not picked up then we just dont do game night/or you miss part of the movie. On school days my son goes in the afternoon so in the mornings he is only allowed to play with one thing. It gets picked up at a certain time every day. If we have to leave and there is feet dragging I take it out of their play time later. And most importantly everything has a place in my house. School supplies are to be kept in backpacks and on the bookshelf, no exceptions. Coloring supplies, books, and papers are kept on the easel when not in use, again no exceptions. Clothes are always put in the hamper as soon as they are taken off.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote