Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
Grinding Teeth?

My 10 month old DD has recently gotten her top incisors (they have just popped through). I've noticed several times now that she grinds her beautiful new teeth together! She doesn't seem to be doing it because she's in pain (I'm a vet and that's a big reason why pets grind their teeth so that was the first thing I thought of). Is it just a phase because they're new? Please say she's going to get tired of it soon, I can't stand the sound!

IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
It's a phase, she'll go in and out of it very annoying but it won't damage her teeth unless she is doing it for hours without stopping for breath ( which won't happen though it may feel like it!).
Mama to my wonderful little DS April 5th, 2011
VGBeads Get your favourite video game character beaded up!
ChocoMeijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Miss squish
Registered Users
Re: Grinding Teeth?

My 9 mo old is doing this. Most annoying sound EVER. Makes me cringe every time.
sahm to Maxwell 5/4/12
Miss squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
My Mood:
Ugh yes I hate that noise!! It is a phase, my son did it for about three months. It just sounds terrible and like they are going to break their tiny teeth.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Registered Users

yes....a phase and soooo was cute in the first kid for like the first 2 times...we thought it sounded like a catfish it bugs the heck out of me when one of the kids starts it....but they usually only do it for a couple weeks cause it is new
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Registered Users
Def a phase. My DD went through it more than once. It used to hurt my ears to hear the sound! We tried giving her a pacifier or toy to break up her concentration.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:
My 4-year-old and 2-year-old both do it in their sleep every night. The dentist assures me that they aren't causing any damage, but it drives me bonkers. The sound is worse than nails on a chalkboard. *shudder* I'm told it is a phase, but my oldest has been doing it for well over a year. Just hoping they quit soon.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
My Mood:

Yep, when they get teeth both on top and on bottom whenever that might be they'll start grinding them. New sound, new sensation. Ignore it (yeah, I know how hard it is, most annoying sound ever!) and they'll stop. Eventually. It'll grow less and less in frequency until it stops. My 9.5 month old has more or less stopped, and she got her top incisors in at 8 months. It's a once in a while thing now.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:

It is a phase, definitely. Personally, though, the sound triggers for me. So I don't allow it! My kids have never done it much before a year old, usually somewhere around 15-18 months. I tell them to stop, give them a paci, distract them... but if they don't stop it, I have to flick their cheek. I just can't stand that one.
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

it is usually a phase - but if I had a 4yo doing it, I would probably get a mouth guard - it can cause problems. Or atleast I would talk to a dentist about whether they needed a mouth guard.

it is an annoying phase though.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote