Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #41
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to Help Family with Deaf Infant

Jen in MO Deafness is a disablility....and yes in MO he would qualify for all public school services even if he was homeschooled.....we homeschool as well

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my DH started school at age 18months....he went to an all oral school....about 99% of oral kids learn ASL at some point.....my DH uses ASL as his main communication method....he learned ASL after he graduated from the Oral school in 8th grade....there is no Oral method past 8th grade in STL....so he then learned ASL and has only used ASL since
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #43
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well the brain wave thing was today. I just got a phone call and I'm so confused.

My nephew passed. They said he could hear everything. Does this happen a lot? I mean....he doesn't act like he can hear. He does not turn towards sound, or flinch at loud noises or anything. And on the first test they said that they thought he could *maybe* hear the loudest sound but that he might have just been responding to vibrations. So how do you know what to believe? Anyone BTDT?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #44
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: *Update* post 43 How to Help Family with Deaf Infant

Way back when I was student teaching I had a child like that. He was elementary age and a bit of a mystery. He also was able to pass even a standard hearing test, however functionally he was deaf. He was learning sign language and placed in a class for deaf kids. I am trying to remember what it was called. No, this does not happen often, but it does happen. I would still encourage your nephew's parents to learn a visual form of communication in addition to using speech with him. If he is functionally deaf, he is going to need to learn language visually for the time being or he will end up falling far behind his peers. If I can remember what this is called I will come back to this post.

ETA: Just so you know that I'm not just a random person.. I have an M.S. in Education of the Deaf/Hard of hearing and taught 3 years in a class for deaf and hard of hearing kids before I had my kids.

Last edited by Mommy2JandS; 02-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Mommy2JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JandS View Post
Way back when I was student teaching I had a child like that. He was elementary age and a bit of a mystery. He also was able to pass even a standard hearing test, however functionally he was deaf. He was learning sign language and placed in a class for deaf kids. I am trying to remember what it was called. No, this does not happen often, but it does happen. I would still encourage your nephew's parents to learn a visual form of communication in addition to using speech with him. If he is functionally deaf, he is going to need to learn language visually for the time being or he will end up falling far behind his peers. If I can remember what this is called I will come back to this post.

ETA: Just so you know that I'm not just a random person.. I have an M.S. in Education of the Deaf/Hard of hearing and taught 3 years in a class for deaf and hard of hearing kids before I had my kids.
Probably Auditory Neuropathy? I would keep a very close eye on it. My DD had contradictory test results but very little functional hearing
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #46
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulorangekids View Post
Sure! I'll link some websites when I'm not mobile!

Where do you live? I can refer you to a Cued Speech instructor in your area.
Oops! Totally forgot about this thread. The last couple of weeks have been crazy. I am in the Pasadena, CA area. Links would be fabulous!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #47
KLadyBugMama
Registered Users
Formerly: faithfulorangekids
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well the brain wave thing was today. I just got a phone call and I'm so confused.

My nephew passed. They said he could hear everything. Does this happen a lot? I mean....he doesn't act like he can hear. He does not turn towards sound, or flinch at loud noises or anything. And on the first test they said that they thought he could *maybe* hear the loudest sound but that he might have just been responding to vibrations. So how do you know what to believe? Anyone BTDT?
Definitely sounds like AN. Have them check that out.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #48
KLadyBugMama
Registered Users
Formerly: faithfulorangekids
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post

Oops! Totally forgot about this thread. The last couple of weeks have been crazy. I am in the Pasadena, CA area. Links would be fabulous!
Great! Let me get the info and back to you!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #49
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

So...here we are like a year later. Nephew only makes two sounds, ma and da, besides screaming. I have hinted several times at having him evaluated through ei, retesting his hearing, and things, but have gotten no where. I really truly do not think he can hear, but bil thinks he can. They are wanting to wait until he is at least eighteen months to see if he gains six new words...But he doesn't even babble or make sounds. Quietest kid I've ever seen. And they want to wait a minimum of one year before have his hearing rechecked. I know it is their kiddo, but I am just so sad for my nephew and I feel like they are losing very valuable time that could really make a difference long term. What would you say or do in this situation?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #50
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sign with him. I know he's just a nephew and not yours but try to get parents to sign some- it won't hurt and can only help whether he ends up being hearing or hoh/deaf. At least signs will give him some language and a way to express his needs. Hugs-