Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
painter412
Registered Users
seller

Re: Teach Your child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
We used a variety of things, based on her strengths and weaknesses. She is reading great at 6.

Advertisement

painter412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Subbing. We have this and I was thinking of trying it out next year

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
katiebird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught DD to read using starfall (a good part of it is free, but we ended up paying for the full version which is only $35 a year). I put 100 lessons on hold at the library to check it out for DS (not ready yet, but I wanted to see what it was all about) so this is very interesting!
katiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm using 100 Easy Lessons with DD. We both LOVE it! I started her with it shortly after she turned 4 and she found it very frustrating. I sat it down and we picked it back up when she was 4 1/2. We started with one lesson and now do two or three lessons a day because she loves it so much
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
I'm using 100 Easy Lessons with DD. We both LOVE it! I started her with it shortly after she turned 4 and she found it very frustrating. I sat it down and we picked it back up when she was 4 1/2. We started with one lesson and now do two or three lessons a day because she loves it so much
this is what i'm finding with DD too. We have been doing 2 lessons a day, because it is so easy, but she is enjoying it (she asks if we can do her reading lesson every day), so i'm going to keep going. I do think it is helping her sound things out better. Instead of doing each sound of each letter, she has learned to flow the sounds together, thus making it a lot easier to figure out the word and then say it fast. I know we will probably have to slow down to 1 lesson a day, as it gets harder and introduces newer concepts that she hasn't already learned in preschool, so hopefully she will still enjoy it then.

I made a chart with 100 squares on it, and every lesson she gets to put a sticker on the one we completed. So far, she thinks this is great as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
mamato2boyz
Formerly lyndibri
seller
seller

My Mood:
I used it with my now 7 year old and it was great at first. We would supplement with BOB books. But by half way through the book, he was bored to death and just wanted to read. We tried out Sing Spell Write and that was okay for him. I will probably try with DS2 this summer but I have a feeling he'll need something with a bit more color.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was interested in using it with my 5 year old DD back when she was 3-4, but after getting it (and the Computer based version - Funnix) I realized it was NOT for us. It taught reading very differently than how I had started to introduce reading to her so trying to use it would have just confused her.

Instead, we used dabble with Phonics Pathways, Progressive Phonics and Starfall (paid for a years subscription). Then when she was 4 we did Abeka Kindergarten and now at 5 she is in the middle of Abeka first grade. Evidently those programs worked, since she is a young kindergartner and is reading books that range in the 3rd-5th grade levels.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
Dancing_with_Joy
Registered Users
seller

When I first tried this book, I didn't like it. I switched to a "fun" curriculum, and I quickly taught my first two homeschooled children to read with the "fun" curriculum. But then I had a child who absolutely struggled with reading. The "fun" curriculum was not working at.all. I tried a lot of different curricula. Nothing worked, and he hated all of it. Out of desperation, I came back to 100 Easy Lessons, and now he is finally reading!!!
I still love the "fun" curriculum. 100 Easy Lessons seems so plain jane. But the bottom line is that it was the only thing that I could find that worked for this one son of mine.
I now think that this particular child is dyslexic. I think the arrows in 100 Easy Lessons helped him. Also helpful was that the lessons are short. Another key factor is the focus on initially learning the letter sounds, rather than the letter names.

Last edited by Dancing_with_Joy; 02-20-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Typos
Dancing_with_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote