Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

What made me decide to circ my boys was the uti rate. I am a radiology Technologist, and I can't count how many little boys I saw over the years have to be catheterized and have liquid contrast fill up their bladder to do a cystogram because of repeated UTI's. Every time I saw it, it made me cringe. So I thought no way will my little boys have to go through that.

That was just my personal choice. Every parent needs to make the decision for themselves. I still feel that was the right one for me.

Advertisement

thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some info on circing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyme View Post
What made me decide to circ my boys was the uti rate. I am a radiology Technologist, and I can't count how many little boys I saw over the years have to be catheterized and have liquid contrast fill up their bladder to do a cystogram because of repeated UTI's. Every time I saw it, it made me cringe. So I thought no way will my little boys have to go through that.

That was just my personal choice. Every parent needs to make the decision for themselves. I still feel that was the right one for me.
For several years my DH worked in an early intervention center for kids with special needs. He said once that it seemed to him that "typical" kids must be a minority because all day long he saw kids who weren't.

While it's painful to see a child with an illness, statistically less than 1% of boys sufffer from UTIs. It may seem to you that UTIs are a plague among children, but that is just not the case.

Circumcision is THE ONLY procedure we do to prevent problems that may or may not occur in the future. We don't take out a baby's appendix to prevent appendicitis. We don't take out a baby's tonsils to prevent tonsillitis. We don't even put tubes in babies ears to prevent chronic ear infections. We treat the problems ONLY as they occur.

Statistically it is very unlikely that a child who is properly cared for will have any problems with their foreskin, including UTIs. In fact, statistics show they are more likely to have a complication from their circumcision than to have a problem with their foreskin.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post

For several years my DH worked in an early intervention center for kids with special needs. He said once that it seemed to him that "typical" kids must be a minority because all day long he saw kids who weren't.

While it's painful to see a child with an illness, statistically less than 1% of boys sufffer from UTIs. It may seem to you that UTIs are a plague among children, but that is just not the case.

Circumcision is THE ONLY procedure we do to prevent problems that may or may not occur in the future. We don't take out a baby's appendix to prevent appendicitis. We don't take out a baby's tonsils to prevent tonsillitis. We don't even put tubes in babies ears to prevent chronic ear infections. We treat the problems ONLY as they occur.

Statistically it is very unlikely that a child who is properly cared for will have any problems with their foreskin, including UTIs. In fact, statistics show they are more likely to have a complication from their circumcision than to have a problem with their foreskin.
I said that was the reason I chose it. I never said that it was the correct choice for anyone else.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

My DS1 is circed and my DS2 is intact. I guess deep down, I have always been against it, but I let my husband make the decision with DS1, and he chose to go through with it, since he too was circed - it was as simple as him wanting his son to look like Daddy. Unfortunately DS1's circ got infected and required some intervention... it traumatized me and further ingrained in me that it was strictly a cosmetic procedure that was not medically necessary. With DS2 I literally talked my DH out of having him circed at the hospital. My father is intact and never has had any problems in 75 years. We only have one intact Uncle that has had problems with yeast, but he is morbidly obese and borderline diabetic. There isn't much difference in keeping my two DS's "clean", you just wash both well. On intact penises, the foreskin doesn't retract until a boy is 4-5 years old, and it should never be forcefully retracted before that. DS1 has yet to notice that DS2's penis looks different than his. DS2 was much more alert and content as a newborn not having the circ, whereas DS1 was very sleepy and fussy after having his done. DS2 nurses better than DS1 ever did, and I think not having the circ is part of it. It's a painful procedure that takes a while to heal.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #36
birdinhand
Registered Users

My oldest was circ'd at 3 years due to a chordee that didn't correct itself -- we even had a consult with Dr. Paul Fleiss and in the end, no one could say for sure if it would correct itself later, and the issue there could be him not being able to have an erection as an adult . So even though I didn't want to, I had it done.

My other two are intact, and this baby will be as well. At least I consoled myself that it was done under general anesthesia by a ped uro surgeon .
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #37
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
My oldest was circ'd at 3 years due to a chordee that didn't correct itself -- we even had a consult with Dr. Paul Fleiss and in the end, no one could say for sure if it would correct itself later, and the issue there could be him not being able to have an erection as an adult . So even though I didn't want to, I had it done.

My other two are intact, and this baby will be as well. At least I consoled myself that it was done under general anesthesia by a ped uro surgeon .
There are real medical reasons for circumcision and no one should feel bad about that when it happens. You made a decision for your child that will improve his quality of life. You made an informed decision for your child and found a skilled doctor to care for him. Be proud of that!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #38
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
There are real medical reasons for circumcision and no one should feel bad about that when it happens. You made a decision for your child that will improve his quality of life. You made an informed decision for your child and found a skilled doctor to care for him. Be proud of that!
I know, it broke my heart to have to do it, though. I also spoke to Marilyn Milos of nocirc.org. I just couldn't come to something I felt good about in terms of watching and waiting. What would have happened if he could not have an erection due to the tightness of the scar tissue essentially holding his penis down? And at what age would he realize there was a problem? Then he would have had to have surgery at that point, where healing is more difficult, and he would miss school, his friends would ask what he was having done, etc. It was too much to feel comfortable with.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I'm not pro OR anti circ.

I circ'd my first for a myriad of reasons.

But the experience was so traumatic for me that I won't ever do it again to any other boys that I have. There were no medical repercussions for our circ'ing our son. The repercussions I dealt with were purely emotional/psychological. I still BF'd him for 2 yrs, so it didn't hinder that. But as a result of other life circumstances, and then combined with the circ'ing experience, I wound up with moderate PPD for a long, long time. I was a crappy mom b/c of it.

It's a purely selfish reason. I don't think the pros for circ hold much weight. I think circ is a primarily cosmetic surgery, sometimes done for religious reasons. I am not bothered or angered or inflamed at all that people chose to perform circ's on their sons. I don't buy into the "his body, his choice" blah blah. We do all sorts of crap to our kids without their consent that are purely for cosmetic reasons, or at the very least, are unnecessary.

I'm due in 3 weeks, and If I'd had a good experience circ'ing my first, I would likely circ this boy, too. I feel really badly that I will have one son circ'd and one not. I realize it probably won't be a big deal overall, but it still bothers me. It doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as the thought of going through the traumatic experience of getting a circ done, though. So I just won't do it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I am not bothered or angered or inflamed at all that people chose to perform circ's on their sons. I don't buy into the "his body, his choice" blah blah. We do all sorts of crap to our kids without their consent that are purely for cosmetic reasons, or at the very least, are unnecessary.
I used to feel this exact same way too. Most men I know are circ'd so it didn't seem like that big of a deal, even when we decided to keep our 1st DS intact. Then I started reading about how much sensitive sexual tissue is in the foreskin, and how much it removing it can affect not only the sensitivity, but how it "works" during intercourse. While I know circ'd men still have fulfilling sex lives, circumcision doesn't seem like "just a cosmetic procedure" anymore. It changes things too much to just be cosmetic.