Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Newbie spitting up

I think you are feeding her too much at one time. The LC recommended feeding 1.5 oz per feeding when my LO was your DDs age. My DD gained quickly on that and had plenty of wet and dirty diapers and never spit up. She averaged about 15-18 oz per day. Kellymom has a breastmilk calculator where you can input the weight and age.

I would cut back and see if the spit up improves. You'll probably end up feeding her more frequently just smaller amounts.

Eta: DD was six pounds when we were feeding her 1.5 oz. when she hit 8lbs we gave her between 1.75-2 oz. at a time. Now she's breastfeeding and when I weigh her pre and post breastfeeding she takes about the same amount from my boob.

E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13

Last edited by evasimone; 02-17-2013 at 03:05 PM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Registered Users

DS1 spit up after almost every feeding. My pediatrician observed him and noted that he never showed signs of pain/discomfort and he was gaining sufficient weight. She said some babies are just "happy spitters" and to not worry unless he stopped gaining weight or seemed uncomfortable. We bought more burp cloths and got used to changing clothes more often. When we introduced solids at 6 months the spitting up reduced and eventually stopped all together. If you try different bottles and it doesn't change things talk to your pediatrician see what their opinion is.
Andrea -SAHM to Sean 10-09, Owen 1-13, and married to my best friend!
Ainmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Users

She could have reflux which can be common in near-term preemies. That would be either fussiness or a happy spitter, like mentioned above. If she is happy and gaining, there may be no reason for it to be a problem; if she isn't gaining well or fussy, your ped might want to put her on something like Zantac.

You could try more upright feeding positions as well as paced-bottle feeding: Video: This can be helpful not only to allow baby to get as much as she needs wothout the aded force of gravity and the bottle, as well as help her get used to breastfeeding as it is introduced.
Mama of 4 boys ages 13, 11, 7, and homebirth baby born 4-6-13
"No more sacred word exists in secular or holy writ than that of mother." Ezra Taft Benson
doula, childbirth educator, breastfeeding counselor
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
I think we were feeding her too much. I'm so used to formula! I cut her back to a 2oz bottle and she sometimes eats it all but sometimes not. I burp her after an ounce to ounce and a half. That has helped with spit up, so has feeding her a little more upright. She occasionally will nurse for 10-15 min and doesn't spit up but doesn't empty my breast either. I'll be looking for some preemie nipples too she still toots a lot but maybe she's just a tooter lol!!!
mama to my 4 krazy k's
babyike2011 is offline   Reply With Quote