Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
oldmomma
Registered Users

Re: I want to get serious about weaning

I read your post and it is my exact story. I am so done nursing but she is super into nursing. I was joking with my coworkers today about maybe I should put hot pepper or sour spray on my nipples so she didn't like the taste. I is suppose to work with thumb sucking, right.

Good Luck!! I am glad DH is supportive and helpful.

Advertisement

oldmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm doing the jay gordon night weaning method right now and it's going really well. I would pick one feeding to remove and work on that. Take it slow..if you try to change too much at once it might backfire on you. RIght now since I'm night weaning I don't limit day nursing at all, still nurse at naps, to sleep, etc... after we get night time down I'll work on naps or something.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
If you notice... I first started this thread in June 2012 (When she was 11 months and she is now 19 months old). So yeah... we have worked on no biting, pinching, acrobatics. She normally will lay down to nurse in my lap. She is not allowed to continue if she bites, pinches, or starts to hop around like a little monkey. I'm still sore at every nursing so I think it's time. I feel like I "did my time".

Dh is off for the next 2 days plus the weekend plus the 18th for Presidents day. (So 5 days) It's 2pm here and she has not nursed yet today! I'm staying mostly out of her sight and DH is pushing fluids and sippy cups. I'm hoping to wean her cold turkey this weekend. I feel really bad about doing it this way. I would have preferred a gradual wean but all attempts to do so have failed. I obviously feel bad but so far she has not cried for me. She seems very happy playing with daddy and has not "Ma Ma Ma" or done the milk sign (sign language) yet. Dh is keeping her super busy and if she fusses just a little takes her outside to play to distract her. (It's in the 60's and sunny) I have not held her or picked her up at all today. (Which is crazy weird for me as I'm a SAHM and normally her primary caregiver.)

So Happy Valentine's day to me.... that was part of my V-day present. Dh staying home and I get 5 days off from taking care of her. (My boobs ache! )
Putting cold cabbage leaves inside your bra is supposed to give some relief. Sounds like it's going well! Hooray! I helped a mom wean in this very way when I was a teen...played with her LO all day and took him out when he really wanted to nurse. It worked for them too. Good job nursing her this long.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well I have yet again failed at weaning.
She has a cold that has got progressively worse. Yesterday she wouldn't drink from a sippy, open cup or a bottle (Basically DH tried everything) Her nose was stuffed up. He would syringe it but that made her cry and her nose got worse. We did the humidifier and lots of stuff. She drank about 12 ozs all day. She just cried till about 1 in the morning off and on. Waking up every 15 minutes, even though she had a pillow in her bed sitting her up. We just put her in our bed and she slept pretty good!
Dh & decided to just breast feed her as she was miserable. I syringed her. We sat under the a makeshift tent with the humidifier and breast fed her. She drank and drank ...got her nose cleaned out... drank and drank... till she finally passed out.
We just decided that it was best not to try to wean her while she was sick because she is so stuffed up she was refusing liquids.

I'm secretly hoping the whole engorged and not breastfeeding thing at the very least reduced my supply. She has not yet breastfed today (it's 1 pm). I haven't offered and she hasn't asked. I'm going to try to keep the nursing to a minimuim and try again in a few weeks. (Hopefully she won't have a cold!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Well I have yet again failed at weaning.
She has a cold that has got progressively worse. Yesterday she wouldn't drink from a sippy, open cup or a bottle (Basically DH tried everything) Her nose was stuffed up. He would syringe it but that made her cry and her nose got worse. We did the humidifier and lots of stuff. She drank about 12 ozs all day. She just cried till about 1 in the morning off and on. Waking up every 15 minutes, even though she had a pillow in her bed sitting her up. We just put her in our bed and she slept pretty good!
Dh & decided to just breast feed her as she was miserable. I syringed her. We sat under the a makeshift tent with the humidifier and breast fed her. She drank and drank ...got her nose cleaned out... drank and drank... till she finally passed out.
We just decided that it was best not to try to wean her while she was sick because she is so stuffed up she was refusing liquids.

I'm secretly hoping the whole engorged and not breastfeeding thing at the very least reduced my supply. She has not yet breastfed today (it's 1 pm). I haven't offered and she hasn't asked. I'm going to try to keep the nursing to a minimuim and try again in a few weeks. (Hopefully she won't have a cold!)
You're doing great, mama! It's so hard when littles are sick. I think you're smart to take a break and wean when she's feeling better. Who knows, maybe it will go easier the next time since she's had a bit of a break.

Just curious why you're concerned about the amount of liquids she's drinking? She's eating lots of solids, right? I really don't keep track of how much my kids are drinking, just give them access to a sippy cup of water whenever they want it. They maybe drink 12 oz in a day? Sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't want you to be concerned about it if you don't need to be.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat and I swear every time I get close to weaning my 21 mo dd gets a cold! I'm completely touched out and am 7 weeks pregnant..here's to hoping both of our girls lay off mama!
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My SIL breastfed her DD until 24 months and then she put bandages over both nipples and told her, "mama has an owie and can't nurse." Her DD understood and she basically weaned then. I don't know if that will work for a 19 month old but just thought I'd throw that out. Sorry you are struggling so much.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
ChaoticDreams33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is a few days younger than your daughter and I am also trying to wean! We can get down to once a day, but then he gets sick and wants it all the time again. So I can definitely empathize.
ChaoticDreams33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
My SIL breastfed her DD until 24 months and then she put bandages over both nipples and told her, "mama has an owie and can't nurse." Her DD understood and she basically weaned then. I don't know if that will work for a 19 month old but just thought I'd throw that out. Sorry you are struggling so much.
That is a great idea!! I will keep that in mind when im starting to wean
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebabies View Post
You're doing great, mama! It's so hard when littles are sick. I think you're smart to take a break and wean when she's feeling better. Who knows, maybe it will go easier the next time since she's had a bit of a break.

Just curious why you're concerned about the amount of liquids she's drinking? She's eating lots of solids, right? I really don't keep track of how much my kids are drinking, just give them access to a sippy cup of water whenever they want it. They maybe drink 12 oz in a day? Sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't want you to be concerned about it if you don't need to be.
She eats table food. One day she'll eat a lot and the next day hardly anything. It's random. She sometimes just doesn't want to drink from her sippy.

At 12 to 24 months they should drink 4 1/2 cup servings of milk a day according to my chart that the pediatrician gave me. (That's 16 ozs.)

I have an ear infection. I have to be on antibiotics that I can't nurse on. (I tried to avoid the antibiotics but it got very bad. I couldn't stand without feeling dizzy.) So she has not nursed since Sunday night as I left for the doctors before she woke up Monday. She's fussy (especially at nap time!). She keeps trying to get in my shirt but I told her "they are broken and don't have no milk". I keep giving her different sippy cups. It will be for 7 days ... so I'm done! She'll be weaned and I'll be dried up!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote