Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
mama_to_DJM's Avatar
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,079
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

This isn't a crock pot soup, but it is a very yummy ham & potato soup!

3 1/2 cups diced potatoes (peeled if desired)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup diced cooked ham
3 cups water
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper, or to taste
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk, warmed

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham, water, bouillon, salt and pepper in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

2. Once you turn on the pot to boil, start making the sauce in a separate saucepan. Melt butter over medium-low heat, then whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring it to a simmer, stirring often, then cook for a few more minutes until thickened.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the potato mixture, season to taste, and serve. Top with grated cheese, if desired. Enjoy!

Notes
- Feel free to add more or less of the vegetables; this is just the amount I like
- You could substitute the water & bouillon for chicken broth
- I slightly peel the potatoes, just while I'm cutting them. I slice off the ends and part of the flat surface, which leaves us with about half the peel still attached.

Advertisement

__________________
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
mama_to_DJM's Avatar
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,079
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
My soups didn't get made until this morning because I cut my thumb on a can lid and had to have stitches yesterday.
Ouch!!! I did this 2 years ago, exact same way. I feel your pain!

I threw away my regular can opener, and bought this OXO smooth edge can opener instead. No more sharp edges now!!
__________________
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
4boys1girlforme's Avatar
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,369
My Mood:
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
This isn't a crock pot soup, but it is a very yummy ham & potato soup!

3 1/2 cups diced potatoes (peeled if desired)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup diced cooked ham
3 cups water
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper, or to taste
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk, warmed

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham, water, bouillon, salt and pepper in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

2. Once you turn on the pot to boil, start making the sauce in a separate saucepan. Melt butter over medium-low heat, then whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring it to a simmer, stirring often, then cook for a few more minutes until thickened.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the potato mixture, season to taste, and serve. Top with grated cheese, if desired. Enjoy!

Notes
- Feel free to add more or less of the vegetables; this is just the amount I like
- You could substitute the water & bouillon for chicken broth
- I slightly peel the potatoes, just while I'm cutting them. I slice off the ends and part of the flat surface, which leaves us with about half the peel still attached.
Thanks- looks yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
Ouch!!! I did this 2 years ago, exact same way. I feel your pain!

I threw away my regular can opener, and bought this OXO smooth edge can opener instead. No more sharp edges now!!
Added to my cart! Thanks so much! I cut an artery and it still hurts and I can't bend my thumb!
__________________
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
mama_to_DJM's Avatar
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,079
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
Added to my cart! Thanks so much! I cut an artery and it still hurts and I can't bend my thumb!
I never realized how much I used my thumb until I couldn't! Mine still hurts if something presses on it in just the right spot. I hope yours heals quickly!
__________________
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
4boys1girlforme's Avatar
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,369
My Mood:
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I never realized how much I used my thumb until I couldn't! Mine still hurts if something presses on it in just the right spot. I hope yours heals quickly!
Oh no! My cut is on the outside of my thumb from the knuckle to almost the base of my thumb. I can bend it a little but it HURTS! Getting my 2 year old in and out of her car seat several times today to take the kids to school and pick them up wasn't easy.
__________________
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Southern Momma's Avatar
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,126
My Mood:
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

I like this one from Paula Deen, I've never cooked it the crock pot but it looks like it could be easily adapted:

2 cups of ham cut into small pieces
5 lbs of baking potatoes peeled and diced
1/2 stick of butter
salt and pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream

Put your potatoes in a large pot and add just enough water to cover them. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then uncover and cook on med-high 20 minutes. Reduce heat and add ham and the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Over low heat add the sour cream and half-and-half; keep warm over low heat till serving time.
__________________
FSOT listings:
Swim diapers
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
4boys1girlforme's Avatar
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,369
My Mood:
Re: Good crock pot potato soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
I like this one from Paula Deen, I've never cooked it the crock pot but it looks like it could be easily adapted:

2 cups of ham cut into small pieces
5 lbs of baking potatoes peeled and diced
1/2 stick of butter
salt and pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup sour cream

Put your potatoes in a large pot and add just enough water to cover them. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then uncover and cook on med-high 20 minutes. Reduce heat and add ham and the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Over low heat add the sour cream and half-and-half; keep warm over low heat till serving time.
Mmmm i love Paula Deen- I have a great beef stew recipe of hers that I use often.
__________________
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.