Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3rd hand smoke?

My son has multiple medical problems. Our GI gave us a ton of information on 3rd hand smoke. We were ordered that anyone who had smoked must shower and put on fresh clothes before coming near DS.

It can cause reflux to worsen in kiddos. The fumes cause the stomach to relax, which allows kiddo to reflux more. It also aggravates asthma. But GI's primary concern is what it does to the stomach, and how it makes a kid who already refluxes have bigger problems. Smoking outside isn't good enough. The person has to shower and change.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I have this problem with my MIl. She is almost 70 and apparently has smoked for 40 plus yrs. so yeah, it's been a losing battle. We see her rarely and she only lives about 15 minutes away. A handful of times a yr max.

I haven't found a solution yet unfortunately. DH says he has tried to talk to her but I am losing patience as our second son is due to arrive soon. She will not be snuggling our son if she smells like smoke, which she will, so it should be a super fun hospital visit when she shows up. DH just won't follow through with her. This time, I will. I should have for our first DS but I let myself get shut down by DH about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I HATE the smell of smoke, so I do not think you are overreacting at all. I would be the same way. We moved into a townhome a month ago, and our next door neighbors smoke, and it makes OUR house smell like smoke. We mentioned it to the manager, but smoking is allowed in this place so there is nothing we can do about it. As I type I can smell smoke, and it makes me livid.

When we moved here we bought a car from my FIL who smokes, and even though he only rarely smoked in the car, it still reeked. I JUST NOW got the smell out of it, a month later.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would tell the person that they need to stay in a hotel.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickmama View Post
What would you personally do in this type situation? Just tell them there're not allowed near your children? Or is there some kind of compromise? Of course with you having an actual allergy, it does change the picture quite a bit.
Yes, as harsh as it sounds they would not be allowed near myself or my children unless they gave up the deadly habit. If they want to kill themselves then that is their choice, but they are not going to put my health or my children's health at risk.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Musickmama
Registered Users

Does anyone have some good legitimate links to info about third hand smoke? Dangers, risks, precautions, etc... I feel like I know just enough about it to know I don't want my children exposed. But not enough to try to plead my case effectively as to why I feel so strongly.
Musickmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mayo Clinic
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thi...-smoke/AN01985

WebMD
http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessati...oke-can-linger

Study Finds Thirdhand Smoke Poses Danger To Unborn Babies' Lungs
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/222841.php

Patient Education Materials about GER/GERD--discusses nicotine on pg 3 and 6
http://www.kaahe.org/KAAHE/en/Arabic...1/pd180101.pdf
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Musickmama
Registered Users

Thank you! I'm going to read those over and ask hubby to read them as well. Hope we can find a peaceful solution everyone can live with.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

Good luck! My mom and I got in a HUGE fight when I was pregnant with my first, and at my oldest daughters first Christmas she ended up opening her presents in a seperate room from everyone because no one could not smoke for those few minutes. I had a jacket at my house for people who smokes to put on when they held my baby. They also had to wash their hands/arms. People who wear most perfumes have to do the same thing because I am sensitive to the smell. Unfortunately this continues to be an issue for us 8 yrs later
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Musickmama
Registered Users

I had dh read the third link from above. I feel so much better just from bringing it up again and opening the floor so to speak. We didn't really talk about it, but it's 'out there' now.