View Poll Results: Which was more painful, including birth and recovery
Unmedicated vaginal 7 26.92%
C-section 17 65.38%
They were different but equal 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Which was more painful overall...

I have had 1 c-sec, 1 medicated vbac and 1 unmedicated vbac. I was incredibly lucky to have an amazingly easy c-sec recovery, I was pretty much back to normal within a week, just a little stiff. My vaginal deliveries though I had tons of tearing for both and an episiotomy with my first vbac, plus I ended up popping stitches both times, so while the overall recovery was shorter, 2 weeks was extremely intensely painful, much more than my c-sec. Throw in the fact that my unmedicated labor was only 1.5 hours and I kind of ended up with a little ptsd, I would say that my natural vbac was on the whole more painful and definitely more intense than my c-sec.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010

I completely understand this line of thought! My first was a c-section after a couple days of labor, my second was a failed VBAC after being in labor for the best part of 3 days. I don't know whether I'm going to try for a VBA2C with the next one; as much as I want/wanted an unmedicated vaginal birth, I don't love my odds at this point. I'd rather be well-rested for a scheduled c-section than end up having a c-section after 3 days of labor and no sleep whatsoever.
((HUGS)). I have a similar experience. I long for a natural birth, but I have no faith that another hospital medicalized birth will get me there (not to mention vbac/vbamc options are getting very slim here). And hubby isn't game for a home birth (and is generally more comfortable with an elective rcs this time). So...18 days to my first scheduled c/s.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

For me,
my c/s recoveries not counting this last one with dd2 were both very super easy, I was back to feeling normal that same week both times, was back to cooking, cleaning, washing clothes and out shopping by the end of that week and I felt comepletely fine, it was pretty great for me to not be in pain like with my first birth. Now my first delivery was an un-medicated vaginal birth and no way would I ever ever want to go through that ever again. If I was to only be able to do vaginal births, my ds1 would be an only child, the birth and recovery were awful and so very hard and as I said before, i would never want to experience that again.
My last c/s with my dd2 was harder than my others and recovery was longer this time around, it wasn't like my last two easy c/s recoveries, and even with that, I would still choose a c/s over a vaginal birth.
The experiences are just different for everyone.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Considering I'm still dealing with pain and fall out from my c-section 5 years later, I'll go with it being far and away more painful. C-section caused endometriosis, which caused physical OMG I'm going to die menstrual cramps, further surgery to remove cysts, and heartbreak of two years of infertility. VBAC = walk in the park in comparison.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have not had a c section so I didn't votebut I did have a kidney transplant, meaning my abdomen has a giant scar where I was cut open. Unmedicated (actually failed epidural) induction with Pitocin for my second child hurt for 12 hours. My kidney transplant incision was sore for weeks. I can't imagine dealing with that pain plus kids. I was 13 when I had my transplant.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
((HUGS)). I have a similar experience. I long for a natural birth, but I have no faith that another hospital medicalized birth will get me there (not to mention vbac/vbamc options are getting very slim here). And hubby isn't game for a home birth (and is generally more comfortable with an elective rcs this time). So...18 days to my first scheduled c/s.
Hope it goes smoothly for you!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010

Hope it goes smoothly for you!
Thanks! I hope you are able to have whatever birth you decide on next time.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #28
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I have had a 30hr. back labor, unmedicated, broke my tailbone, tore all the way back and some upfront which of course needed stitches. Then I had 3 c-sections after that (due to the shoulder dystocia of my first child). While I had pain during sex for a long time after my vaginal birth, I still consider my vaginal birth less painful than my c-sections. My c-sections were so painful to recover from... all while caring for a newborn and other children (I'm sure having 4 kids, 4 and under, did NOT help my recovery process and time). So I voted c-sections were more painful... one never knows how much and often you use your abdominal muscles until they are cut apart. Baby Girl is 1 year old and I still have internal pain (from scar tissue I believe). I go to the doc to see what's going on in a few weeks. sigh.
While c-sections are way more painful, I do prefer them for myself because I have 3 healthy babies to show for all those months of recovery! I did not have a healthy baby to show for my train wreck of lady parts.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I think my csection was easier. I only took ibuprofen and stayed on top of the meds and it was just soreness. My vaginally birth is painful. I can't stop my stitches from being painful.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted c-section. I have had a c-section after a failed induction with my first, a VBAC with my second and then another c-section with my third due to macrosomnia. Now, I am pregnant with my fourth, and driving two hours way to go for a VBA2C. :] Obviously, I really want to avoid the pain of a c-section again! Plus, I firmly believe that a VBAC is the safer option for both me and baby.

I am off to bed, but will come back to later to edit with more details.